a170066-small.jpg

a170065-small.jpg

Audi-Q8-concept-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-f65441f2c0b55caf.jpg

Audi-Q8-concept-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-038141377d70fcc2.jpg

Audi-Q8-concept-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-899c13183b3378f3.jpg

Audi-Q8-concept-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-4171ae8d25bd34aa.jpg

Audi-Q8-2017-Erlkoenig-1200x800-04e0b726b1db86d6.jpg

Audi-Q8-concept-2017-Vorstellung-1200x800-19e39de601654cfb.jpg

If this starred in the new Cars movie, it would be very grumpy.

I'm not sure if that new Audi steering wheel design works.

Omg that grille is both massive and hideous. I'm not sure what I think of it. Maybe I'll need to see one in the flesh.

i love the dashboard. they should take it out and put it in a car that isn't a knockoff X6.

Knockoff X6? This thing is infinitely more usable without the sloping roof. I really like it some parallel universe where I'd prefer SUVs over wagons I'd consider this for a family hauler. As it stands right now though, I'm totally digging the gorgeous V90.

Knockoff X6? This thing is infinitely more usable without the sloping roof. I really like it some parallel universe where I'd prefer SUVs over wagons I'd consider this for a family hauler. As it stands right now though, I'm totally digging the gorgeous V90.

ERr.. "without the sloping roof" ?!?? Well it might be less a continuous curve, but fucking hell look at the trunk end. That thing is maybe more usable for the rear seats (although some of those ugly fuckers like GLE-coupe and X6 allegedly are better than one would expect on the matter) but the trunk is equally useless for anything larger that protrudes above the glass line. Is it better looking than the beforementioned things? Yes, by far. Does it look like it is actually more useful? Not even a bit. 99.5% of those will never see more than 1, maybe 2 people in it, and for that they are all equally good, or bad. If you want actual usability, you don't buy shit like this.

ERr.. "without the sloping roof" ?!?? Well it might be less a continuous curve, but fucking hell look at the trunk end. That thing is maybe more usable for the rear seats (although some of those ugly fuckers like GLE-coupe and X6 allegedly are better than one would expect on the matter) but the trunk is equally useless for anything larger that protrudes above the glass line. Is it better looking than the beforementioned things? Yes, by far. Does it look like it is actually more useful? Not even a bit. 99.5% of those will never see more than 1, maybe 2 people in it, and for that they are all equally good, or bad. If you want actual usability, you don't buy shit like this.

Oh, stop it. Is it a UPS box truck or a 80s Volvo? No. But it's also no X6.

It's quite different. The X6 has a sloping roof with a decline that starts much sooner, and steeper. In the Q8, the roof stays flatter longer. And while the C-pillar is steep like the X6, the glass is actually much more deeply curved. giving more interior space.

Even ignoring all of that, the Q8 is a larger vehicle, so even if it had the same roof, it starts out leading off the base. The same roof on each would still hold more/larger items in the Q8 even assuming everything else was the same.

I took the side-on Q8 image, outlined it, and overlayed it over an X6. The Q8 is 6" longer than the X6, so admittedly that is an estimate here. I put their wheels on the ground...but again the X6's view was slightly lower, so I lowered the Q8's height a couple of clicks to try to even that out.

5QKXFaF.jpg

It's the age of the ultra-SUVs. Bentley, Rolls, Audi & BMW are now pushing into that market, I assume Merc will follow soon.....

Bentley-Bentayga-Front-Three-Quarter-Static-2.jpg

rolls-royce-cullinan-suv-prototype_827x510_81480670883.jpg

rolls-royce-cullinan-prototype-suv_827x510_41480670842.jpg

(not finished)

bmw-x7-3-copy-1.jpg

AR-161129963.jpg

(almost finished)

It's the age of the ultra-SUVs. Bentley, Rolls, Audi & BMW are now pushing into that market, I assume Merc will follow soon.....

I wouldn't consider the Q8 and X7 as ulta-SUV competitors to Bentley and Rolls. They're actually behind the curve when compared to Merc, as they already has the GLS. The GLS550 starts at $93k in the US and tops out at $117k, and you want some more unf you can opt for the GLS63 which starts at 124k and fully loaded is $139k. Though if thats not enough they are going to do a GLS based Mercedes-Maybach which will be playing against the faux Brits http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mercedes-maybach-suv-coming-in-2-years.html

Last edited:
True, Bentley and Rolls are in a league of their own, then again, them doing SUVs shows how the market shifts....

The GLS was a horrible horrible car (suprised that still exists), it didn't sell at all in Europe due to the atrocious build quality, which is why I left it out :)

I mean, even VW is kind of hopping on the bandwagon with their Atlas SUV thing:

production-version-of-vws-crossblue-concept-to-built-in-chattanooga_100472650_h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't consider the Q8 and X7 as ulta-SUV competitors to Bentley and Rolls. They're actually behind the curve when compared to Merc, as they already has the GLS. The GLS550 starts at $93k in the US and tops out at $117k, and you want some more unf you can opt for the GLS63 which starts at 124k and fully loaded is $139k. Though if thats not enough they are going to do a GLS based Mercedes-Maybach which will be playing against the faux Brits http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mercedes-maybach-suv-coming-in-2-years.html

True, Bentley and Rolls are in a league of their own, then again, them doing SUVs shows how the market shifts....

The GLS was a horrible horrible car (suprised that still exists), it didn't sell at all in Europe due to the atrocious build quality, which is why I left it out :)

So it turns out the Maybach isn't going to be GLS based, but rather something... errr... different...

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/this-is-new-mercedes-maybach-g650.html

That was my first reaction too. That said, if I ever somehow get fuck-you money (a billion or so), I will get myself one of these, a G63 6x6, a G63 4.4[SUP]2[/SUP], and that G65 4.4[SUP]2[/SUP] Cabrio.

Working in the G-wagen group must be fun. It seems like they have no limits to what they're allowed to do.