Porsche 991.2 GT3 - it has a stick!

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 C4
So just some minutes a go a ton of videos of the new 991.2 GT3 got released. Can't really find a good old thread, so here we go.

It does have a manual gearbox. What's that again? I can't remember ...

4.0. 9000 rpm.

Lets take a moment to laugh at idiots who paid upwards of double the list price of the 911R

upwards of double? There are rumors of people paying seven digit numbers for one ...

Lets take a moment to laugh at idiots who paid upwards of double the list price of the 911R
By that logic I could laugh at the idiots who pay for this car, since I found the 991.1 GT3 lacking in the "feels" department vs my 981 GTS. And ND Miata owners could laugh at me for what I paid for my car.

The 991R was special in more ways than a GT3 ever will be due to its additional changes, as well as its extremely limited run. Most owners were invited to purchase it based on their previous Porsche purchasing history (i.e. 918 owners got first crack) so the price to that demographic is largely inconsequential. Sadly, these owners will likely never drive them in anger, only use them as stock commodities, but IMO it's still a very special car, and given the opportunity I'd prefer one to a GT3 (for driving) any day of the week.

Glad to hear the 991.2 GT3 will have the stick option, and hopefully it will be amazing. But even without dealer markup (which given the history of Porsche GT program's cars, you can bet your ass there will be), this will cost more than double what I paid for mine. File under "nice, but ain't gonna happen" for me.

Still, I'd like to drive one around a certain Vegas circuit in 1-2 years time.

Last edited:
Also, regarding investments Andreas Preuninger said this to Pistonheads:
"And this is a message I want to get across too. I got letters from R owners saying 'oh, I heard there is going to be a manual version of the gen two, now I have the R, I have to protect my investment'. And I say we are a company that produces cars, we live because we sell cars and we have to make a profit on the cars to go on. We are not a hedge fund so we cannot offer cars with a built-in promise to keep value for a small amount of chosen people, this is wouldn't fair. I mean the R will stand on its pedestal for ever, as with the RS 4.0 - with the RS 4.0 it didn't hurt that there was a 991 GT3, it didn't hurt that there was an RS, it didn't hurt that there was an R with a manual gearbox. RS 4.0 values are sky high, it is the same with the R, it is not challenged by that car but if we discover a niche or a want for a driver's car why shouldn't we do it, we are a motor company."

The Touring Package is now official:

porsche-911-gt3-touring-package-official-images.jpg

porsche-911-gt3-touring-package.jpg

The most significant distinction between the GT3 Touring and the regular car is its lack of fixed rear wing. Instead, like the 911R from last year and conventional Carrera models, the Touring has a hidden spoiler that can rise and lower automatically. It?s not the exact same item found on lesser 911s, the new version has a gurney flap on its trailing edge to increase its aerodynamic efficiency. Atop the decklid is a plaque that reads GT3 Touring along with a new mesh grille, too.

Like the 911R, the Touring borrows the wider bodywork, rear bumper and 20-inch forged wheels from its contemporary GT3. Mechanically, the Touring is identical to the GT3 and is powered by the same naturally aspirated 4-litre flat-six that puts out 493bhp and 347lb ft of torque. Importantly, it still revs to 9000rpm. However, the Touring is only available with a six-speed manual gearbox ? the seven-speed dual-clutch PDK transmission is left for the track-ready GT3.
(From EVO)

Edited with new pictures from here.

Last edited:
I would take this over a 488 almost any day of the week. What a car and what packaging. Track day? sure. Going to the store? why not? Fancy dinner downtown? let's take the GT3. It's beautiful.

I couldn't decide wether to get one with the touring pack or not. The wing is kinda cool as it's a GT3 and would probably help on track days, but can be a little bit too show-of-ish in town driving.

But if I had the money for a GT3, I'd probably also had the money for a second one...

Oh, and nice move by Porsche offering that package on 9/11. :lol:

Last edited:
I couldn't decide wether to get one with the touring pack or not. The wing is kinda cool as it's a GT3 and would probably help on track days, but can be a little bit too show-of-ish in town driving.

But if I had the money for a GT3, I'd probably also had the money for a second one...

Oh, and nice move by Porsche offering that package on 9/11. :lol:

Always get the one with the wing, Porsches look weird w/o them

I was thinking the same thing, I like the GT3 wing, but that naked ass looks damn sexy! Having to make that decision would really be a 1st world problem.

That rear flap opens at 120km/h or so I guess. Is there a picture anywhere where that flap is open?

Looks like any other 911, basically like this (991 R):

maxresdefault.jpg