Toyota Confirms MR2 Successor To Sit Next To GT86 & Supra

I know, but a man can dream...

or buy a used ZZW30 as a backup plan...

There you go ;)

- - - Updated - - -

The GT86 here is a car that just exists in the Toyota portfolio, as it costs roughly 50k USD. The Subaru equivalent is thousands cheaper, so some sell. In my opinion both the Toyobaru and the ND should be 25k euro cars, so they would actually be seen in traffic; the Hyundai Coupe was priced like that and it was relatively popular.

That's kind of a local issue with strange car pricing, but even Hyundai coupe is more car than ND or Toyobaru, more power, more space, more usable in every day situations (like grocery shopping). So it's easier to justify 25K for one vs the other three. This is one of the reasons pony cars are killing them stateside (and Mustang is killing everything in Germany), you get more car for your money.

I think the problem is that car manufacturers think that only people who want to buy sports cars are rich people and therefore they assume that anyone who buys a sports car wants all kinds of luxuries and performance. This makes even "cheap" sports cars expensive and manufacturers too afraid to make any spartan or low powered sports car which could actually be cheap.

And the end result is that people who would want to buy these cars can't afford them and people who could will buy something more practical instead (or really rich people will buy something more higher end). Then the bean counters look at the numbers and conclude that people are simply not interested in sports cars.

i think the main problem with this is that nobody made an affordable hybrid car where the hybrid system is used for torquefill or lagcompensation
they all add it (and program it) to make the car more economical.

add hybrid to increase performance, and it will be a hoot! (granted it doesn't double the weight of the car)
Assuming everything hasn't gone full electrification by this time, I can see this happening. Problem is, we just witnessed the first generation of performance hyper cars which all cost over a cool million, so it could be some time before that trickle down tech makes its way into entry level sports cars.

Ok, maybe I lied. Ford is releasing a hybrid Mustang in 2021 with its next-gen car, so in this case, "some time" = 4 years. :D

Last edited:
Simple economies of scale play into this too. The last MR2 was pretty no-frills but still wasn't as cheap as it could be, being more expensive than a similarly-specced Miata; a low-volume car with its own dedicated platform is a crappy business case.

This is one of the reasons pony cars are killing them stateside (and Mustang is killing everything in Germany), you get more car for your money.

I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels.

1. Hadn't seen that before at all.

2. Considering that this is coming from the continent whose values are so completely screwed up that people there think that a man riding a pink Vespa scooter down a public highway is quite manly and not effeminate/gay in the least? I'm going to go right ahead and ignore that. :mrgreen:
Says the guy dressing up in leather frequently to have a screaming Asian between his legs :D

The GT86 here is a car that just exists in the Toyota portfolio, as it costs roughly 50k USD. The Subaru equivalent is thousands cheaper, so some sell. In my opinion both the Toyobaru and the ND should be 25k euro cars, so they would actually be seen in traffic; the Hyundai Coupe was priced like that and it was relatively popular.

Have you checked what you can get for 25k in this country? Even fancier Fiestas and Yaris models are close to that. Around 35k would be fine for GT86/BRZ, and Subaru sold quite a few of those for the brief moment it was 36 000 euros. Country is filled with Leon Cupras, which previously used to cost around 36k. I still feel Mazda made a mistake when they left out the base MX-5, it could've been just under 30 000 euros here. It would've made a difference.

Anyway, 30 000 euros seems to be the baseline for anything interesting, new Citro?n C3 excluded. It's amazing.

Oh, the Mustang. The quite nice V8 is over 80 000 euros here. And the Ecoboost? Does somebody care how much a Mondeo powered boat costs?

I still think the front looks shit and the tail lights need help.

Slow. Don't forget slow.

It's pretty much what everyone else has been doing - see the CR-Z, which could really have been a modern CRX - right up until the point where they made it a hybrid. The failure doesn't have to be just 'we made it a hybrid,' either. The FR-S/BR-Z Toyobaru twins fell short of the mark as well - not enough power for most people and no convertible top to compensate. Also, being nearly $2000 more than the class leader with arguably a worse car is not exactly a shining example of how to win volume sales.

Too bad too, because I rather like the CR-Z's styling and interior. :(

It is also very easy to drownout the gay jokes with lots of V8 noise ;)

^ This 1,000%.

No, never. It's like that price bracket doesn't even exist.

That price bracket doesn't you much here either. There are only a few vehicles that sell for ~$25k that are worth buying...

Oh, the Mustang. The quite nice V8 is over 80 000 euros here. And the Ecoboost? Does somebody care how much a Mondeo powered boat costs?

I'd suggest driving one first, it's far from a boat. Then again what do other cars with similar performance cost over in the car hell nordics?

You think I'd make such claims without driving them first? Sorry, no. I've driven the Ecoboost and V8 GT for about five days each, and few days more with V8 GT Convertible. I love the looks and image. The Recaro seated V8 GT Coupe was pretty nice package, soulful engine with good, but certainly not great performance (it doesn't feel as fast as claimed, but it's fast enough). It's a bit rough driving experience, not very accurate to position and the ESC program leaves a lot of room for improvement (effective traction control only on full throttle, be careful if you don't floor it). A

The Ecoboost was more of a boat, way more lively (even less accurate) when turning in, and it didn't want to settle when cornering. The GT Convertible was just wobbly, it was just a cruiser.

I don't want to sound harsh. Mustang is a good car for the US market. It certainly doesn't lack character, which is the usual problem in European cars. But it's too big, too unpolished to shine on our road network. And because of that, in most European countries it's also too expensive for what it offers. If you prefer corners to straight line performance, cars like the GT86 or MX-5 just suit this part of the world better than the Mustang.

That said, I'd love to try GT350.

I don't know, I think it fit in just fine on a warm summer day in the left lane with all the Porsches when I was Germany.

The dodge pickups stick out like a sore thumb because of their overly macho "I'm a straight male with lots of testosterone, honest!" look.

Last edited:

You think I'd make such claims without driving them first? Sorry, no. I've driven the Ecoboost and V8 GT for about five days each, and few days more with V8 GT Convertible. I love the looks and image. The Recaro seated V8 GT Coupe was pretty nice package, soulful engine with good, but certainly not great performance (it doesn't feel as fast as claimed, but it's fast enough). It's a bit rough driving experience, not very accurate to position and the ESC program leaves a lot of room for improvement (effective traction control only on full throttle, be careful if you don't floor it). A

The Ecoboost was more of a boat, way more lively (even less accurate) when turning in, and it didn't want to settle when cornering. The GT Convertible was just wobbly, it was just a cruiser.

I don't want to sound harsh. Mustang is a good car for the US market. It certainly doesn't lack character, which is the usual problem in European cars. But it's too big, too unpolished to shine on our road network. And because of that, in most European countries it's also too expensive for what it offers. If you prefer corners to straight line performance, cars like the GT86 or MX-5 just suit this part of the world better than the Mustang.

That said, I'd love to try GT350.

Yes I would think that :p Why would you care about ESC?

Crucial question, the cars you drove were they the "track pack"? I hear it makes quite a bit of difference. (only ever drove track pack)

If MX-5 fit your part of the world better than Mustang it wouldn't be best selling as well as it does ;)

Also realistically how often in your daily driving do you encounter nice windy roads you can enjoy?

Anyway my original point and one that was made by a few others as well is that no frills sports cars are a tiny market segment and not generally worth pursuing for volume cars.

Last edited:
My daily driver has 54 horsepower. There is no slow.

I don't envy you. :( I couldn't handle 54bhp...I'd pull my hair out.

It would be fun to beat the snot out of for like 6 hours.

It also only weighs less than 1600 lbs :lol: I drive it vigorously.