Toyota Confirms MR2 Successor To Sit Next To GT86 & Supra

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Toyota is working on a spiritual successor of the MR2 roadster as part of the company?s plan to have a three-model strong range of sports cars, according to Gazoo Racing chief Tetsuya Tada.

This means that a lightweight spiritual successor to the MR2 will be positioned next to the GT86 and the upcoming Supra, with Tada-San saying to Evo that Toyota wants to have the trio in production together ?As soon as possible?.

And staying true to the spirit of the last MR2 roadster, the new model will be as light and simple as possible.

With that said though, Toyota is thinking of using some of the hybrid tech found in its LMP1 racers in order to meet the future emissions standards and of course make the necessary connection to its motorsport programme.

This also means that a mid-engine layout is almost a certainty, as packaging a hybrid powertrain is easier. While the MR2 may not be a hybrid from the start, Tada-San says Toyota is ?working very hard? to make the hybrid roadster a reality.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/toyota-confirms-mr2-successor-to-sit.html

We could only hope it looked that good. Chances are it will look like some scifi alien monstrosity. :lol:

Everything Toyota has put out in the last five years has looked absolutely terrible. I have no faith in them putting out a future design classic.

But sports cars don't sell.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything Toyota has put out in the last five years has looked absolutely terrible. I have no faith in them putting out a future design classic.

:( See that GT86 crying in the corner?

Motoring enthusiasts: "We'd love a new MR2!"

Toyota: "Here's your hybrid!"

Motoring enthusiasts: "..."

Toyota: "See? This is why we don't make cars that are 'fun'. Nobody buys them."

Motoring enthusiasts:
95413-ron-swanson-what-the-hell-just-RT4g.gif

Motoring enthusiasts: "We'd love a new MR2!"

Toyota: "Here's your hybrid!"

Motoring enthusiasts: "..."

Toyota: "See? This is why we don't make cars that are 'fun'. Nobody buys them."

Motoring enthusiasts:
95413-ron-swanson-what-the-hell-just-RT4g.gif
This is what I'm afraid of.

This is what I'm afraid of.

It's pretty much what everyone else has been doing - see the CR-Z, which could really have been a modern CRX - right up until the point where they made it a hybrid. The failure doesn't have to be just 'we made it a hybrid,' either. The FR-S/BR-Z Toyobaru twins fell short of the mark as well - not enough power for most people and no convertible top to compensate. Also, being nearly $2000 more than the class leader with arguably a worse car is not exactly a shining example of how to win volume sales.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The worldwide market for an affordable two seat roadster without a premium badge is pretty much precisely what Mazda sells in terms of the MX5.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The worldwide market for an affordable two seat roadster without a premium badge is pretty much precisely what Mazda sells in terms of the MX5.

The Ford Mustang would like a word. You even get two extra parcel shelves masquerading as rear seats for free!
s550-mustang-convertible-video.jpg

Problem for me is, the mustang (and Camaro) are starting to feel like the Camry/Accord of their class.

Problem for me is, the mustang (and Camaro) are starting to feel like the Camry/Accord of their class.
What, dominating the market? And yeah, whatever MR2 is on the market will always be a niche player, but it's always been that way.

That's the thing. They're not bad. They're just really good and a lot of people like them. Now that the redesigned mustang has been out for a while it's become just another car on the road. It no longer has that presence for me.

That's the thing. They're not bad. They're just really good and a lot of people like them. Now that the redesigned mustang has been out for a while it's become just another car on the road. It no longer has that presence for me.
:blink:

It's been out for less than 3 years.

The Ford Mustang would like a word. You even get two extra parcel shelves masquerading as rear seats for free!
s550-mustang-convertible-video.jpg

Child seats fit on there, all I care about.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pretty much what everyone else has been doing - see the CR-Z, which could really have been a modern CRX - right up until the point where they made it a hybrid. The failure doesn't have to be just 'we made it a hybrid,' either. The FR-S/BR-Z Toyobaru twins fell short of the mark as well - not enough power for most people and no convertible top to compensate. Also, being nearly $2000 more than the class leader with arguably a worse car is not exactly a shining example of how to win volume sales.

I'm hoping they go more SW20 than MR-S (dunno chassis code), and have a turbo and n/a version.

- - - Updated - - -

:blink:

It's been out for less than 3 years.

Nah I know what he means they are all over the place, though my gen is pretty rare so I'm quite happy bout that :)