captur31.jpg

captur28.jpg

captur27.jpg

captur30.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

Where I think the new small Citroens (e.g. C3) look great, this doesn?t.
Something is wrong about it, the face is almost terrible. Side profile is fine and the back okay, but that front... No

Looks great, but I can't buy any Citroen/Peugeot simply because the automatic transmissions they have are completely undrivable...

Looks great, but I can't buy any Citroen/Peugeot simply because the automatic transmissions they have are completely undrivable...

They've dropped the crappy automated manual in favour of the rather excellent Aisin six speed used in Mazda's and Toyotas among other things.
I personally really like Citroens design language at the moment, but they still find ways to mess up the little things (Weird back windows, odd boot shapes, seats no folding flat, no cupholders etc etc)

Strange that they didn't go straight for the 8 speed Aisin makes. 6 speeds is a bit old fashioned in a brand new model isn't it? And there have always been peugeots and citroens with normal automatics as well, btw. The jerk-o-matic was just used with certain engines.

Also isn't this a model for china?

The six speed really seems to still be the choice for smaller engines that use Aisin, maybe there is a bit of a weight/size difference between the two. Even Lotus is sticking with the 6 come to think of it.

Last edited:
Does Lotus use torque converter automatics in their cars? TIL.

Does Lotus use torque converter automatics in their cars? TIL.

Yeah. Because they use Toyota engines, they kinda get the gearboxes as part of the deal. It would be nice to see dual clutch, but for a maker the size of Lotus, thats probably not going to happen.
Having said that, the Aisin locks up the TC and rev matches on the down shifts, so its a surprisingly quick to shift little unit. But I think Lotus would simply just tell you to buy the manual if you were that worried.

I didn't think an auto maker like Lotus would put anything automatic in their products. Guess I was wrong. :p

Ive just realised this is just the grand cactus... but less awesome.

img_0454.jpg

What? All of them?

Citroen announced this today... 4 weeks late.

Citroen UK website, coming late 2018. :|

Last edited:
What? All of them?

Just the jerk-o-matic that's a conventional 6 speed manual with a normal clutch, and a robot bolted on top of it. They wanted to achieve fuel economy like a DSG without the complexity of a dual clutch (and they succeeded) but it probably scared away a lot of customers because it's a bit weird to drive. Some drivers get used to it, others just go "nope" and buy something else.

It honestly doesn't perform any worse than when you're doing the changes yourself, but it becomes annoying when someone else is doing it for you. As a passenger it's fine, IMO.

The jerk-o-matic was only coupled with certain engines like the 1.6 liter diesel and whatever the smallest city cars have, and as far as I know it's being replaced by a conventional automatic again.

I didn't think an auto maker like Lotus would put anything automatic in their products. Guess I was wrong. :p

I didn't think Lotus would build an Elise or Exige heavier than 1000 kgs. Just checked the weight for the V6 models. Holy mother of god ...

Just the jerk-o-matic that's a conventional 6 speed manual with a normal clutch, and a robot bolted on top of it. They wanted to achieve fuel economy like a DSG without the complexity of a dual clutch (and they succeeded) but it probably scared away a lot of customers because it's a bit weird to drive. Some drivers get used to it, others just go "nope" and buy something else.

It honestly doesn't perform any worse than when you're doing the changes yourself, but it becomes annoying when someone else is doing it for you. As a passenger it's fine, IMO.

The jerk-o-matic was only coupled with certain engines like the 1.6 liter diesel and whatever the smallest city cars have, and as far as I know it's being replaced by a conventional automatic again.

I Cactus was the last car to us the jerk store gearbox, but thats been replaced with the 6 speed TC unit now. I would like to think that that is the last we'll see of those things.
They really are awfull. When we got the final gen MR2 here, they were only availiable with one of those, no manual. As well as being shit house to drive, it means you don't want to touch a second hand one, as they are really expensive to fix when (not if) they fail.

I have the 5 speed auto, ''tis awful.
Slightly better if you come off the pedal, paddle up and back on the accelerator.

What is with the idiotic gear selectors in new cars? It saves literally no space and much harder to use than the standard ratchet selector.

As well as being shit house to drive, it means you don't want to touch a second hand one, as they are really expensive to fix when (not if) they fail.

I haven't heard too many horror stories about the jerk-o-matic, to be honest. They seem to mostly just work.

Most drivetrains with a conventional clutch are plagued with flywheel failures these days, though. The dual mass flywheel is a wonderful thing that smoothes out vibrations and makes it possible to lug the enigne at low revs (which I like) but a 1500 euro clutch job on the 3000 euro family Mondeo is a bit much. Parts cost alone can get into four figures quite easily. I would rather put those 1500 euros towards ATF changes and possible repair jobs on a conventional automatic.