Unveiled: Mercedes-AMG Project One

dontblogaboutus

They revealed the powertrain this week in Pebble Beach. Looks quite promising...

"Mercedes-AMG has revealed the technology behind its forthcoming Project One hypercar, which is due to be unveiled at the Frankfurt show in September. And the hardware lives up to the hype: The ultimate AMG will have a fiendishly complex powertrain borrowed from the all-conquering Mercedes grand prix racers, with additional electric motors driving the front wheels to help deliver a total system output north of 1,000 hp.

The heart of the car is a 1.6-liter turbocharged V-6 based on the engine that powered Lewis Hamilton to the 2015 World Driver?s Championship. The heads are the same, as is the block, but the pistons and crankshaft have been changed to lower the compression ratio in order to get the engine to meet emissions regulations around the world. And although the original race V-6 would rev to a dizzying 13,500 rpm, the Project One?s version is limited to 11,000 rpm. Idle speed has also been brought down to 1,000?1,200 rpm instead of the race car?s 3,800?4,000 rpm."

Link to Motortrend Article + more pictures

2019-Mercedes-AMG-Project-One-Powertrain-06.jpg

Last edited:
does it come with an engineer to tell you want strat mode you should be in for the corner ahead?

Apparently, according to Toto Wolff, who is the boss of the Mercedes F1 team, they're trying to the get the price of these engines down to $12 million dollars each. Or at the very least, $14 million each.

I wonder why they would use these engines, since they're pointlessly expensive for road cars that don't have to comply with the ridiculous regs in F1. But maybe they were being literal when they said the engine powering this new hypercar is the same engine that powered Lewis Hamilton to a championship in 2015. These could be a bunch of left over b-spec powerunits from their 2015 season.

:p

That 12m is not each, but for a years supply (don't know what happens when one let's go prematurely)

FI only has a budget of 100m, if half of that went to engines, there would be nothing left for the car itself

I must say I agree with toto...5-15% of your total budget for the motor isn't too much

That 12m is not each, but for a years supply (don't know what happens when one let's go prematurely)

FI only has a budget of 100m, if half of that went to engines, there would be nothing left for the car itself

Do you have a citation? I have a hard time finding any strong sources. This site seems to fall in line with Toto Wolff's comments about $12-14m, but per unit.

Do you have a citation? I have a hard time finding any strong sources. This site seems to fall in line with Toto Wolff's comments about $12-14m, but per unit.

It says this: "The new engines can cost a team easily around $14 million per car."

Per car. That's however many engines one car uses over a season.

Thanks. Still annoying that you can't find out how much a single power unit costs though. Is that $20m for 4 units? If they only use 3, do they get a $5m refund? :p

Or if a turbo goes...is that warranty?

Thanks. Still annoying that you can't find out how much a single power unit costs though. Is that $20m for 4 units? If they only use 3, do they get a $5m refund? :p

If you have to ask.... :p

Did they really put a shark fin on it? :lol:

I find that thing to be better looking than most if not all of its competitors. Because it looks more like an R8 on steroids than something that was designed to not look like a car.. The finn is clearly a bit over the top, but hey.. why not, I guess. Not sure. I love the scoop from the CLK-GTR.. :)

I'm impressed. First AMG product that I like in a long time.
Can't wait to hear it.

Can't wait to hear it.

pun intended? :lol:

does this also feature the MGU-H?
every article says it's "an F1 engine", but only the block? or also all the accessories?

Last edited:
Why does everything look the same as everything else?

I saw a suggestion on Youtube and it showed the back of it and I thougt that in that video they will place it agaist a Lamborghini, but it turns out it is the Lamborghini!

Front from a Noble or McLaren, back from a Lambo, I mean You have unlimited recources and braing power and designers and everything, why make the same shit again and again and again and again and promote it as something new? Its not new, its the same shit someone else showed 1 year, 2 years, 3 years ago!

Fak U!

pun intended? :lol:

does this also feature the MGU-H?
every article says it's "an F1 engine", but only the block? or also all the accessories?

What do you mean?
It's a 1.6 liter, turbocharged V6 with pneumatic valves, producing 840hp at 11.000rpm. Of course I want to hear it!

What do you mean?
It's a 1.6 liter, turbocharged V6 with pneumatic valves, producing 840hp at 11.000rpm. Of course I want to hear it!

people have been complaining about the noise that engine makes since the first time it fired up...