Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unveiled: Mercedes-AMG Project One

Link to Motortrend Article + more pictures

Last edited by dontblogaboutus; August 24th, 2017, 9:10 AM.

11k redline? yes please. roof scoop? also yes please.

Comment

does it come with an engineer to tell you want strat mode you should be in for the corner ahead?

Comment

Apparently, according to Toto Wolff, who is the boss of the Mercedes F1 team, they're trying to the get the price of these engines down to $12 million dollars each. Or at the very least, $14 million each.

I wonder why they would use these engines, since they're pointlessly expensive for road cars that don't have to comply with the ridiculous regs in F1. But maybe they were being literal when they said the engine powering this new hypercar is the same engine that powered Lewis Hamilton to a championship in 2015. These could be a bunch of left over b-spec powerunits from their 2015 season.

Comment

That 12m is not each, but for a years supply (don't know what happens when one let's go prematurely)

FI only has a budget of 100m, if half of that went to engines, there would be nothing left for the car itself

I must say I agree with toto...5-15% of your total budget for the motor isn't too much

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
            That 12m is not each, but for a years supply (don't know what happens when one let's go prematurely)

FI only has a budget of 100m, if half of that went to engines, there would be nothing left for the car itself
            Do you have a citation? I have a hard time finding any strong sources. This site seems to fall in line with Toto Wolff's comments about $12-14m, but per unit.

Comment

Since the sport's latest V6 turbo engine era began in 2014, customer engine supply deals have cost teams in the region of 20 million euros per season, but this is expected to fall to around 12 million euros.
              http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...gine-cost-cap/

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                Do you have a citation? I have a hard time finding any strong sources. This site seems to fall in line with Toto Wolff's comments about $12-14m, but per unit.
                It says this: "The new engines can cost a team easily around $14 million per car."

Per car. That's however many engines one car uses over a season.
                Octavia
                Fabia
                Beetle

Comment

Thanks. Still annoying that you can't find out how much a single power unit costs though. Is that $20m for 4 units? If they only use 3, do they get a $5m refund?

Comment

Or if a turbo goes...is that warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                      Thanks. Still annoying that you can't find out how much a single power unit costs though. Is that $20m for 4 units? If they only use 3, do they get a $5m refund?
                      If you have to ask....
                      1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                      2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
                      1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                      2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
                      Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
                      Originally posted by Redliner
                      Wankel is better because BRAP
                      Originally posted by prizrak
                      The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

Mercedes-AMG Project One
                        https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...ar-fully-shown

Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

Did they really put a shark fin on it?

Comment

Technically it is mighty impressive but for me it all adds up to a big ol' meh

Comment

I find that thing to be better looking than most if not all of its competitors. Because it looks more like an R8 on steroids than something that was designed to not look like a car.. The finn is clearly a bit over the top, but hey.. why not, I guess. Not sure. I love the scoop from the CLK-GTR..

Want to support the FinalGear Ringmeet? Feel free to donate! We'll make sure to put it to good use. Or buy more booze.

Comment

I'm impressed. First AMG product that I like in a long time.
                                Can't wait to hear it.
                                ?
                                "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Originally posted by Redliner View Post
                                  Can't wait to hear it.
                                  pun intended?

does this also feature the MGU-H?
                                  every article says it's "an F1 engine", but only the block? or also all the accessories?
                                  Last edited by bone; September 13th, 2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Why does everything look the same as everything else?

I saw a suggestion on Youtube and it showed the back of it and I thougt that in that video they will place it agaist a Lamborghini, but it turns out it is the Lamborghini!

Front from a Noble or McLaren, back from a Lambo, I mean You have unlimited recources and braing power and designers and everything, why make the same shit again and again and again and again and promote it as something new? Its not new, its the same shit someone else showed 1 year, 2 years, 3 years ago!

Fak U!
                                    http://picasaweb.google.com/xyzfotografija

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                                      pun intended?

does this also feature the MGU-H?
                                      every article says it's "an F1 engine", but only the block? or also all the accessories?
                                      What do you mean?
                                      It's a 1.6 liter, turbocharged V6 with pneumatic valves, producing 840hp at 11.000rpm. Of course I want to hear it!
                                      ?
                                      "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Originally posted by Redliner View Post
                                        What do you mean?
                                        It's a 1.6 liter, turbocharged V6 with pneumatic valves, producing 840hp at 11.000rpm. Of course I want to hear it!
                                        people have been complaining about the noise that engine makes since the first time it fired up...

Comment

Working...
                                        X