Yet another battle of "good 'ol German heavyweights"

Well yeah, but if you're annoyed by the Runflats and want your "sports" saloon to perform better, just change them, that's my point...there's always a price to pay
And apart from that, who has ever had a flat on their car? I haven't and I don't know anybody who has either...
In my eyes that whole Runflat thingy is just BMW marketing BS...

I understand what your saying but according to this and many articles I've read, the SMG gearbox NOT good on the road. And I quote again from the article where one reporter "tried to leave it in auto mode but just couldn't stand it".

That just doesn't make sense imo...
In that case, he should as well be complaining about the manual box not having a manual mode, shouldn't he?
I've not driven the smg yet, but other smg-like geaboxes that are no where near as advanced as the smg (lupo 3l diesel, peugeot 1007 etc), and you just have to get used to them and understand how they work, then it's no problem doing smooth gear changes...
I've done it myself and Tiff has explained in his M5 test in Fifth Gear as well...for example just lift off a bit just before you change gear and the change is just as smooth as you would do it with a manual box...

Sure, newer technology doesn't mean better technology, but imo people just have to accept the SMG and try to get used to it before even having driven it...

I wouldn't want to drive an E60 M5 with a normal manual box...just as I wouldn't want anything but a manual box on the E39 or E34 M5 for example... :)

Last edited:
wow im really suprised the audi did that well, only one point off the E63 despite its power disadvantage...so if audi keeps the good things about the S6, and just puts another 70-80 more hp, we're set=D

From what C&D says, the manual M5 must be rubbish. If the comparison was with the M5 having the SMG gearbox, it would have probably won.