0-150 11.6
    0-160 13.3
    0-170 16.1
    0-180 20.1
    1/4 MILE (sec) 12.9
    0-100-0 11.3
    Conditions: dry
    From EVO Magazine Online

Great article! I want one in white, please.

1/4 MILE (sec) 12.9
    Looks a little "slow" for a car with such specs.
    ?
    "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

^I agree, it's performance in a straight line isn't earth-shattering, but then again, it's not a dragracer...

Comment

Drag racer or not, something with that power to weight ratio should have a faster time in the 1/4 mile. Unless it spins the tires REEEEALLY bad doing it, but even so, this time seems a little off.
        ?
        "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Their sites says:

0-96km/h (0-60mph): <2.5 seconds
          (depending on tyre setup)

http://www.caparo-t1.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redliner View Post
            Drag racer or not, something with that power to weight ratio should have a faster time in the 1/4 mile. Unless it spins the tires REEEEALLY bad doing it, but even so, this time seems a little off.
            With that little weight it's very difficult to put the power down, as evidenced by it's slow times at low speeds.
            "Good people drink good beer" -Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If i had a car like that, i would certainly fit it with proper racing tyres, and only use it on the track. What you want from a car like this is ultimate performance - and with road tyres, your not gonna get that, however good they can be.

0-60 in 3.8 is quite slow as well. They must've spun the tyres quite a bit.

Comment

Like it says in the article, this is a development vehicle, which has neither traction control nor launch control. With these, and racing tires the times would improve considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by Karoug View Post
                  ^I agree, it's performance in a straight line isn't earth-shattering, but then again, it's not a dragracer...
                  0-100 6.2
                  0-110 7.0
                  0-120 7.8
                  0-130 8.9
                  0-140 10.1
                  0-150 11.6
                  0-160 13.3

0-170 16.1
                  0-180 20.1
                  1/4 MILE (sec) 12.9

But they say it's doing over 150mph by the time it crosses the 1/4 mile mark, 12.9 seconds seems pretty slow for the speed that it's going and the way it's accelerating.

Comment

Great article, I'm so pleased this thing is actually as good as it should be. Can't wait until the finished cars are ready. The rules of track day toys have been comprehensively re-written.

Quarter mile time bad because:
                    1. Tyres, as Barker says it wheelspun forever
                    2. Massively tall first gear, 80mph!!!
                    3. By the time it gets to the end of the 400m it would already start being slowed by drag.

Another point, its faster from 50mph-100mph than it is 0-50mph. That is rare.
                    "There were no speed limits then, because homosexuality hadn't been invented yet" - J. Clarkson

Comment

I bet that 12.9 is a typo. A 160mph trap speed should be something like an 8 second quarter.

The sky has been falling for decades.

Comment

Yeah, that's an insanely fast trap speed. Either typo, or they were having serious issues off the line, but regained time once the power was down.

Comment

Caparo, DON'T YOU DARE take on Bellof's record. That time is a holy and untouchable lap.
                          (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

I always thought Clarkson's test was a bit unfair. I love this car.

[ speramus meliora; resurget cineribus]

Comment

Originally posted by Redliner View Post
                              Looks a little "slow" for a car with such specs.
                              yeah I agree as well. Traction problem maybe? Or street tyres were used for the run?
                              Supporting : Martin Brundle | Kimi Räikkönen | Jenson Button | Michael Schumacher | Robert Kubica | Sebastian Vettel | Petter Solberg | Mikko Hirvonen | Andy Priaulx | Jason Plato | Mat Jackson

Nokia N95 8Gb | Nokia N97 32Gb | Nokia N900 32Gb | HTC HD2 | Samsung Galaxy 7.0 P3100 | Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 | Asus Google Nexus 7

'10 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
                              '09 VW MKV Golf GTI 2.0T DSG | APR Stage 1 | LHD
                              '08 Honda Civic Coupé | LHD
                              '06 BMW 130i | RHD
                              '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS | RHD
                              '05 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
                              '95 Mercedes Benz E320 Sportline | RHD

Comment

This car is awesome, I didn't realize all the problems were while the car was still a prototype.

And these times seem wrong. Tire spin must have been ridiculous. As Lilleput said, the site says less than 2.5 to 60. I'd love to see this in a drag race vs. the Veyron instead of the McLaren F1 (not that the TG race was a bad thing). It appears that the Caparo lags significantly after 160, but up to 160, I wonder how close it would be or if the Caparo would win.

Originally posted by starfox07 View Post
                                I always thought Clarkson's test was a bit unfair. I love this car.
                                I agree, sometimes he says the car sucks when in reality it's more his driving skill, like for example the 30 sec Porsche GT2 test, which he just ignored because he couldn't handle it. This review's commentary shines some light on Clarkson's "understeer" problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X