X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Porsche Panamera S/4S/Turbo First Drive - Car And Driver

Source: Car and Driver
    Written by: Jens Meiners

Looks Less Controversial in the Flesh, Turbo is Wicked QuickPDK is the Only WayBrakes and Chassis Prove CapableStylish, Well-Appointed Cabin

First 6 pics are Panamera Turbo, last 3 are Panamera 4S.

Comment

ohhh... thats a great looking interior, much better than the Aston.
      Supporting : Martin Brundle | Kimi Räikkönen | Jenson Button | Michael Schumacher | Robert Kubica | Sebastian Vettel | Petter Solberg | Mikko Hirvonen | Andy Priaulx | Jason Plato | Mat Jackson

Nokia N95 8Gb | Nokia N97 32Gb | Nokia N900 32Gb | HTC HD2 | Samsung Galaxy 7.0 P3100 | Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 | Asus Google Nexus 7

'10 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
      '09 VW MKV Golf GTI 2.0T DSG | APR Stage 1 | LHD
      '08 Honda Civic Coupé | LHD
      '06 BMW 130i | RHD
      '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS | RHD
      '05 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
      '95 Mercedes Benz E320 Sportline | RHD

Comment

Originally posted by MadCow809 View Post
        ohhh... thats a great looking interior, much better than the Aston.
        The interior looks, quite simply, like an absolutely lovely place to be.
        Also...
        2800rpm at 125MPH? Holy shit.
        2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
        Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned
        2015 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 AWD - Wife's DD
        2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - DD

Comment

Autocar test

Comment

Literally, do not want.

Nothing about this car tickles my fancy, not even something as small as the rims or steering wheel is pleasing to me... and those back seats look like they would be a seriously tight fit. In the photo it looks like the front seat is quite upright.

It's kind of upsetting that none of these super saloons turned out the way one would hope, because sedans are definitely my favourite form of car (especially these new coupe sedans). The Lambo was the best of the bunch and it's no longer, and even that wasn't too amazing IMO.
            Last edited by Shawn; June 20th, 2009, 2:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
              Literally, do not want.

Nothing about this car tickles my fancy, not even something as small as the rims or steering wheel is pleasing to me... and those back seats look like they would be a seriously tight fit. In the photo it looks like the front seat is quite upright.

It's kind of upsetting that none of these super saloons turned out the way one would hope, because sedans are definitely my favourite form of car (especially these new coupe sedans). The Lambo was the best of the bunch and it's no longer, and even that wasn't too amazing IMO.
              x2

The interior is all over the place - no sense of coherence at all.

And the exterior is still ghastly.

The only good thing about it is the engine.
              Last edited by Gman333-X-ferrari; June 20th, 2009, 2:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman333-X-ferrari View Post
                x2

The interior is all over the place - no sense of coherence at all.

And the exterior is still ghastly.

The only good thing about it is the engine.
                I completely disagree on the interior, and the exterior is growing on me, but I suppose that's a matter of taste : )
                2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
                Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned
                2015 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 AWD - Wife's DD
                2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - DD

Comment

I think the interior looks fantastic, and I'm glad they decided to use proper buttons instead of a fiddly i-drive computer system thing. Plus it's not really that many buttons actually, and to me they seem logically arranged. I also like that they actually thought of tall people when they designed this car, so the back seat was designed to accommodate people like Dr Weideking whose 6'3", it's also good that it has an accommodating boot, unlike many other coupes.

As for the exterior, it might look out of proportion, but I think it looks rather good from some angles. But I think that most people made their minds up (based on the padded up test mules) that they thought it was ugly long before it was actually unveiled.

It's pretty much like most other modern car designs; you have to see them in real life to be able to appreciate the design. Good examples of this are the Ferrari California, Jaguar XF and XK, as well most modern BMWs. Based on the fact that most people who have seen the Panamera live actually likes it afterwards, I'll reserve my judgment until I get to see it up close in real life.

Comment

I kinda like the interior, I think the pictures don't quite do it justice. I bet if we saw some up-close video or high-res photos, it'd look better. The exterior still looks like crap IMO, but the engines sound amazing. Why would you need a Turbo S when the Turbo does 0-60 in 4.0sec? That's already nuts. So is the asking price. I mean damn, you could buy an M5 and a Lotus for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by marcos_eirik View Post
                      It's pretty much like most other modern car designs; you have to see them in real life to be able to appreciate the design. Good examples of this are the Ferrari California, Jaguar XF and XK, as well most modern BMWs. Based on the fact that most people who have seen the Panamera live actually likes it afterwards, I'll reserve my judgment until I get to see it up close in real life.
                      Allright, if that's how you want it: I have seen the California, the XF and the XK in person and of course all the modern BMWs: none of them changed my opinion after seeing them: I always thought the California is fugly, and I still do. I am still not sure about the XF, just like I wasn't sure when I saw it in pictures for the first time. I have always liked the XK and after seeing it in real life, I still like it. And I am absolutely positive the Panamera won't make me think any differently: it looks wrong from every angle and it's proportions are just all over the place. And the rear especially is one of the worst I have seen in any car, ever.

And I am with Shawn and Gman333 on this one: there isn't a single thing I like about this car, I am even a bit disappointed about the engine: 4.8 Liter, twin turbo V8 and it manages "only" 516 ft-lbs of torque: in an exec. level cruiser I would have expected a bit more from such a colossals engine. No it isn't exactly a peppergrinder, but it isn't as powerful as I thought it would be.

It's a hideous looking car with a very "meh" interior. A complete failure, just like the Aston Martin Rapide, which also fails to deliver, big time: if you are going to build a purposeful executive sports saloon, then make it at least look like a proper bloody sedan, not some streched out coupe, with minimal legroom, rubbish bootspace and unsettling proportions.

I still think Mercedes is the only one who has got it right with their CLS, every single 4-door coupe thingy that has followed it has been a failure, in more ways than one.
                      -Every man dies, not every man really lives-
                      http://bromic.kinja.com/

Comment

I love the interior. And the review makes the seem fantastic to drive, at least in Turbo spec. The only controversial thing is the exterior, but at least you don't have to look it when you're driving. I kinda like it. The rear end just needs some work.

Comment

Working...
                        X