Soft-top sports car or pocket-rocket?

Soft-top sports car or pocket-rocket?

• Total voters

Danny Tran

or <br /><div class="bigusername">Tranny Dan?</div
If you could only have onbe car AND if you had a fixed amount of money.

Examples of hot-hatches: Mini, GTI, Renault Clio, Civic
Examples of soft-tops: MX-5

All are great fun, about the same price, but two diffrent kinds of drive.

Which would you chose?

Last edited:
Screw practicability, I'll have a Solstice.

Depends if it is going to be your only car or a second, weekend-fun type of car.
If it's your only car, then the hatchback: fun when you want it and practical when you've got stuff to haul or relatives to taxi around.
Otherwise, the softtop.

Soft Top. My favorites:

S2000.
Solstice.
MX5.
Sky.
MRS.
Depends if it is going to be your only car or a second, weekend-fun type of car.
If it's your only car, then the hatchback: fun when you want it and practical when you've got stuff to haul or relatives to taxi around.
Otherwise, the softtop.

Well, what I am going to do is keep my GM product # 1507Y398FVV44(1) for commuting and buy a slightly used S2000. Of course, not everyone can do that. If you live in North America, scrimp and save, buy the roadster you desire, and then buy a mid 1990's Toyota Corrolla for putting around. That way, the roadster is like hanging the proverbial carrot in front of you! :)

Last edited:
I'll take a Z4 thanks.

i have a 1990 mx-5, no power steering or abs. miata's are even better than everyone says they are, it really is one of the best handling cars i've ever driven. i also work at an audi/porsche/vw dealership so i drive a3's and gti's and various other pre-owned hatches. ill take the miata any day. dont buy a hatchback if you can get a roadster.

and as for practicality, a couple weeks ago i passed an NA miata with it's roof down and an 8 foot water heater tank sitting on the passenger's seat. Can you fit an 8 foot water heater tank in your hatchback? not so sure...

That is a toss-up for me, I just can't choose.

If I were to get a pocket-rocket, it would either be a Mini Cooper S in British Racing Green, a Fiat Punto S in off-white, or a Fiat Panda, one of the 100HP sporting versions.

For a roadster? Either a mainstream early '90s Miata or a TVR Griffith 500 in Gallio Fly Yellow.

I'm not nearly pretty enough to own a soft top. Anyway, my hat would come off.

I'll vote pocket rockets, simply because I've always wanted one, and I can't say the same about soft-tops.

My daily driver for a year was an Audi TT Roadster. I now have a company car, so the TT gets a lot of rest in the garage.