Stupid Driver Stories

I was driving outside of town in germany - Limit on that road was: 70km/h older guy (car with dutch plates) behind me, tailgaiting me heavily while I was doing around 75km/h, already a tad above the limit. One or two kilometers down the road, this little sign:
vorschriftzeichen282.gif
wich raises the limit to 100km/h.
I go up to 100km/h ... tailgaiter falls behind ... and falls behind ... and some more ... I recon he was going 80km/h ... I lost sight of the tailgaiter at that point.
Some more kilometers down the road the road enters a village. Limit is now 50km/h . ... and after a few minutes through the village, the tailgater was back ... tailgaiting me again, now even more agressive. After the village ended (and the limit was raised to 100 again) I speed up again and lost sight of him again after a few km`s. That time for good.

jackie-chan-meme.png

Last edited:
Well Interrobang, I think I know the reason for his behaviour.
As far as I know, in the netherlands the speed limit is 80 most of the time. Even through villages! Or was it 60?
I can remember driving through holland and not having to slow down everytime I entered a village. It's more like: Once accelerate to 80 and stay there until you reach your destination. They must have great fuel economy there ;-)

Well Interrobang, I think I know the reason for his behaviour.
As far as I know, in the netherlands the speed limit is 80 most of the time. Even through villages! Or was it 60?
I can remember driving through holland and not having to slow down everytime I entered a village. It's more like: Once accelerate to 80 and stay there until you reach your destination. They must have great fuel economy there ;-)
While the speedlimit outside of villages is 80km/h in Dutchieworld, inside villages and towns it is limited to 50 km/h (and very strictly enforced), just like in germany. A possible explaination for his second tailgaiting is that he didn?t know the german signs for "village starts here" (Ortseingang - yellow sign, blue in the netherlands) ... or maybe he also hadn?t realised he was in germany since this all happend pretty close to the border ... but while that might explain it ... it doesn?t excuse it.

Older guy? Probably compleetly oblivious to all roadsigns/rules, no matter what country he is in, got his licence back in the day all it required was going to town hall to pick one up and 'declaring on your word of honour you could drive' and hasen't bothered to learn a single thing since.
You would be surprised how many of those are still driving around, my neighbour is one of em, so was my grandfather when he still drove....I remember him asking me how roundabouts worked when we first started seeing them, I was 10. :blink:

They tend to drive the same speed EVERYWHERE (including motorways), although 80 is a bit much for their kind :p

Yesterday I had to go to the bank with my parents and in the 10 minutes I was there, there were three events.

The first: a guy pulls his truck into the vacum tube thing. Did more damage to his truck than the bank.

A girl in a little Ford hatch back pulled up behind him, then backed up over the curb and had to spin the tires to get it back over so she could go to the ATM.

Then a person, could not tell due to the darkened windows, in a Escalade pulled up to the entrance/exit, but across it so nobody could come or go until they moved.

BTW, even the people that came out of the bank to inspect the damage by the truck were commenting on the Escalade. Maybe they will make a mistake or few on that person's account next time.

:evil:

Had a nice time stuck behind a lane drifter of the worst sort today while out for a morning cruise in the country. They're bad enough in town, downright scary at 100 km/h + on a narrow rural road and half their car is over the line into the oncoming lane. He didn't move over or even seem to notice when a few people coming the other way gave him a few well-deserved blasts on the horn. Got away from him eventually at the Dean-Daylesford road intersection and saw he was probably about 100 years old. Bloody hell! :wall:

My story today isn't so bad. Just some schmuck trying to cut his turn from the outside of a two-left-turn lane intersection, trying to force me into a concrete pillar. Didn't even react when I blared my horn at them.

Two things.

1: Entering a roundabout and at the next entrance, a wild truck appears. The driver is texting on his phone and totally misses the red Mazda that's already driving in the roundabout. The moment he sees me he drops the phone and slams on the brakes, resulting in the car behind him smacks into the trailer. Derp.

2: A Nissan King Cab towing a combine harvester with steam welling out of the engine compartment. Herp.

then the car behind wasn't paying that much attention either...

Going to work this morning on my scooter, on a nice wide almost traffic-free road. Two and a half lanes in my direction, one bus lanes in the opposite one. I am overtaking a car, while the road is doing a gentle bend right, when suddenly I notice with quite more than a bit of fear that my lane is occupied by a light-blue Corsa driving the wrong way.

She was just left of the bus lanes she should have been onto to at least have an appearance of doing something legal. She completely missed the thick yellow line and double white line marking the thing, and thought that was her lane.

I slowed down and moved to my right, hoping the car to my right would be gentle enough to let me some space (which he did) and sweared some very bad words in her direction.

then the car behind wasn't paying that much attention either...

Very true, it would not surprise me if that driver was fiddling with the phone too. See more and more "almost" crashes thanks to people that find it more important to update Facetube via the phone then actually keeping an eye on the road infront of them.

Very true, it would not surprise me if that driver was fiddling with the phone too. See more and more "almost" crashes thanks to people that find it more important to update Facetube via the phone then actually keeping an eye on the road infront of them.
Newer head units are coming with Facetube integration :p (in fact I can watch YouTube on mine while driving :D )

Today I nominate myself.

Pulled out into the second lane while accelerating away from a red light and missed a VW fox that was in my blind spot in said second lane, he bleeped at me and slowed down, I gave him the 'sorry' handwave and sped up to normal speed, he then proceeded to tailgate me weaving all over the lane flashing his lights (I was 20 over the limit (140) and no room to move back to the right) so I decided to ignore him.
After about 1k I had to make a left at the next lights and he was going straight, as he overtook me in the first lane he bleeped again and gave me the evil look so I got a chance to get a good look at him.....the results were 'intresting'.

I just got roadraged by a middleaged man in a brown tweed jacket in a VW fox......I think I'm losing my touch. :blink:

Last edited:
I was heading home after work yesterday and just as I got to the light it turned red. So I stopped at the side for turning right and in the left turn/going straight ahead lane there was a Honda Civic (97-2002 I'd say) that was there. For some reason they either paniced at the layout of the intersection or they didn't notice the signal turned red and they turned left against a red light. They almost hit this Hyundai that had the right of way and everyone (including me) were a bit stunned for a few seconds because it happened.

The Hyundai driver's reaction pretty much summed it up: "WTF ARE YOU DOING?!" with the hand gesture of Whaaaaaat?!

This is a stupid pedestrian sotry but we have no thread for that :p
So a traffic light by work controls an intersection where a multilane one way and a multilane 2 way umm... intersect :p. The way the light works is that there is a left turn for the westbound so when the light is red for the eastbound lanes there is a green for westbound to go straight and left. OBVIOUSLY in that situation the crossing light is red for pedestrians crossing north<->south. So this idiot with a kid starts crossing and gets honked at by a cab going straight, he then proceeds to argue with the cabbie that it's a crossing and he doesn't care what the light says....

he then proceeds to argue with the cabbie that it's a crossing and he doesn't care what the light says....
:blink: I didn't see that coming...

How much more stupid can it get? "When I'm in a car I don't care what the light says since it's a street"?

Nice one today. I was approaching a green light on my scooter, when I saw an idiot (lady) slowly crawling across the street, obviously passing with a red light. I slowed down and stopped (while honking the puny horn of my scooter), and I was pointing at her, through the door. She looked at me in a "WTF do you want" mode, then continued on. I screamed "REEEEED", but she didn't seem to care.

Nice one today. I was approaching a green light on my scooter, when I saw an idiot (lady) slowly crawling across the street, obviously passing with a red light. I slowed down and stopped (while honking the puny horn of my scooter), and I was pointing at her, through the door. She looked at me in a "WTF do you want" mode, then continued on. I screamed "REEEEED", but she didn't seem to care.

May I suggest investing in a fine product of your homeland? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

I'd get one, but I've got some monstrous-sounding old Jaguar horns lying around that I am considering using instead.

Last edited:
May I suggest investing in a fine product of your homeland? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

I'd get one, but I've got some monstrous-sounding old Jaguar horns lying around that I am considering using instead.

Unfortunately, those things are quite illegal here (at least the last time I checked). But otherwise, it would be a nice gadget. If I could, I would've honked a ship-horn in that lady's careless and prideful head.

Might want to double check - the manufacturer should know. Other option is to install a dual mode switch and hide the thing someplace when inspection time comes around.

As the saying goes, rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.