Canadian E-Test

I<3myV8

How old does a car have to be to be exempt from the Canadian emission test? I tried researching this on the web, but I just got a bunch of bullshit web sites. I was hoping one of you petrolheads would know.

Varies from province. Ontario its 20 years but only up until 1987, cars after that period must be retested until I believe they reach classic status or something. Yes my car is exempt forever so long as I'm still in Ontario.

Varies from province. Ontario its 20 years but only up until 1987, cars after that period must be retested until I believe they reach classic status or something. Yes my car is exempt forever so long as I'm still in Ontario.

So are cars from 1987 exempt and then 1988 has to wait till they're 30 years old, or cars from 1986 are exempt and 1987 cars has to wait till they are 30 years old. I say 30 years old because I believe that cars have to be 30 years old before they become "Classic"

So are cars from 1987 exempt and then 1988 has to wait till they're 30 years old, or cars from 1986 are exempt and 1987 cars has to wait till they are 30 years old. I say 30 years old because I believe that cars have to be 30 years old before they become "Classic"
That is my understanding of cars from 1988+, unless the highway code of what's a "classic" car changes. It is a bit of a double standard but thats what the government decided to do last year when they declared 1987 to be the final year for the 20 year exemption from the program.

That is my understanding of cars from 1988+, unless the highway code of what's a "classic" car changes. It is a bit of a double standard but thats what the government decided to do last year when they declared 1987 to be the final year for the 20 year exemption from the program.

thanks for clearing that up