any production V8 FWD cars exist?

Lots of them.

Short and by no means complete list: Cadillac Eldorado (ALL of them), Oldsmobile Toronado (some of them), Buick Riviera (some), Cadillac Fleetwood (post 96), Cadillac Deville/DTS (current production), Cadillac Seville/STS (previous generation and earlier), Lincoln Continental (last generation),

And all of them were bad ideas to a greater or lesser extent.

yeah looking at the list, i can see why they're easily forgettable. it just seems like putting V8 power and torque to a FWD train, is not the most champion idea.

While I've been in some of these cars, never while driven in anger, I have heard and read several reviews claiming that GM has done an amazing job at avoiding torque steer. Problem is they also managed to take any entertainment derived from taking a bend in one out of the car... except perhaps dieing of laughter from the understeer.

Man that Cadillac is hilarious! But in all fairness the car is meant to be a cruiser/luxury tourer, not a muscle car. It's kinda like bashing a cruiser motorcycle for not being able to keep up with a sport bike; that's not what the thing is for.

Yes, but at the same time there should be some level of performance in a luxury car. You don't want to buy an expensive car and be beaten by an AMC Pacer or understeer into a tree.

Well Cadillac thought of that and made the ride so smooth that you'd never feel the tree you hit. :p

Back when that car was made big engines were at the top of the list of importance. Handling was down around 45th place, right under the size of the ashtray. And just because the guys in marketing say it's a sports car doesn't mean it is.

Yes, but at the same time there should be some level of performance in a luxury car. You don't want to buy an expensive car and be beaten by an AMC Pacer or understeer into a tree.

Well an AMC Pacer didn't exactly handle well either. Last I heard you try and take one around a bend quickly and the passenger door will open up due to the chassis flex.

A Caddy has decent performance, it's only going to show up in a straight line though. There is a reason why the Cadillac Catera (Opel Omega?) was called "the cadillac that zigs" as it was their first attempt at a cadillac that could actually change directions at speed.

Well an AMC Pacer didn't exactly handle well either. Last I heard you try and take one around a bend quickly and the passenger door will open up due to the chassis flex.

Oh my! :lmao: That's something I have to try before I die.

Oh my! :lmao: That's something I have to try before I die.

I've read magazine articles on Porsche 914's doing the same in the Karussel at Nurbugring... and that was WITH a full roll cage. :lol: I'll have to see if I can find the article.

Hmm I have found an Audi A8, thanx due to vanMould, may have to review my opinion - I would not 'touch' any other V8 FWD car available in the UK market my self.

As far as I remember only the V6 models were/are available as FWD versions, all the V8's are getting AWD just like the Audi V8 got.

what about volvo's S80 V8? is that FWD or AWD?

^ But to be fair it probably has a high FW bias (I think Volvo's AWD system is FWD until slippage occurs and then the rears kick in to a limited percent). Not sure if that's how Audi does it too.

Last edited:
Yep but none are FWD, all V8 cars they offered have RWD.

Interesting sidenote: Honda's tuning arm Mugen stuck a V8 into a Legend based platform for a specialty build called the Mugen Max.

Interestingly as well, Yamaha actually produced a V8 for the Volvo S80. The 1996-1999 Ford Taurus SHO had a V8 build in conjunction with Yamaha as well.

Ahh you guys forgot one...

The Cadillac Allante

allante_front_qtr1921.jpg

I like the big Eldo convertibles even if they are FWD. They have a lot of road pretense and they drive ok for being FWD. You never lack for traction considering their is well over two tons of weight on the front axle.

We were actually trying to forget that one. Like the Maserati/Chrysler TC, just a horribly bad idea.

As far as I remember only the V6 models were/are available as FWD versions, all the V8's are getting AWD just like the Audi V8 got.

Audi has never mated an 8 cylinder engine with just FWD.

We were actually trying to forget that one. Like the Maserati/Chrysler TC, just a horribly bad idea.

If I remember Chrysler built the entire car, Maserati sent the cylinder head development and production off to Cosworth which was then shipped to Maser, assembled and shipped back.

Anyone wonder why that car cost so much and isn't exactly a well regarded vehicle? I must admit it has done a surprisingly good job at holding it's value.

Last edited: