any production V8 FWD cars exist?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
This came up in a conversation and i can't think of any factory mass production model car from any make that had a V8 engine and FWD.

the closet i could come up with was the W8 in the VW Passat.

can't think of what cars have chevy or Ford V8s and FWD, maybe there are a bunch of cars with the Buick derived Rover V8 that had FWD, but i dont know what they are.

Lots of them.

Short and by no means complete list: Cadillac Eldorado (ALL of them), Oldsmobile Toronado (some of them), Buick Riviera (some), Cadillac Fleetwood (post 96), Cadillac Deville/DTS (current production), Cadillac Seville/STS (previous generation and earlier), Lincoln Continental (last generation),

And all of them were bad ideas to a greater or lesser extent.

Last edited:
Also newer Chevy Impala SS and Malibu SS, the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.

Also from the current production file - Chevrolet Impala SS and Pontiac Bonneville GXP.

The current Malibu isn't offered with a V8. Neither is the Grand Prix.

Last edited:
Buick Lucerne and soon to be Buick Super Lacrosse.

And the Monte Carlo SS as well with the 5.3 DoD V8.

Also from the current production file - Chevrolet Impala SS and Pontiac Bonneville GXP.

The current Malibu isn't offered with a V8. Neither is the Grand Prix.

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP is being offered with a V8 in North America.

5.3L 5300 V8 SFI, (303 HP [226 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 323 lb-ft [436.1 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP is being offered with a V8 in North America.

5.3L 5300 V8 SFI, (303 HP [226 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 323 lb-ft [436.1 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)

I type corrected, then.

Lots of them.

Short and by no means complete list: Cadillac Eldorado (ALL of them), Buick Toronado (all of them), Buick Riviera (some), Cadillac Fleetwood (post 96), Cadillac Deville/DTS (current production), Cadillac Seville/STS (previous generation and earlier), Lincoln Continental (last generation),

And all of them were bad ideas to a greater or lesser extent.

You mean Olds Toronado. And what do you mean they were all bad ideas? The K/G-Body cars (Cadillac Deville/DTS/Buick Park Avenue) are great cars. And didn't the Toronado win Car of the Year awards when it first came out?

Last edited:
You mean Olds Toronado.

Oops. Yes, sorry - the Olds Toronado.

And yes, about that being a bad idea:

Psychosteer.jpg

Cadillac Eldorado, platformmate of the Toronado.

father_of_psychosteer.jpg

And an original Toronado.

Check out the offside tires.

Man that Cadillac is hilarious! But in all fairness the car is meant to be a cruiser/luxury tourer, not a muscle car. It's kinda like bashing a cruiser motorcycle for not being able to keep up with a sport bike; that's not what the thing is for.

Last edited:
Man that Cadillac is hilarious! But in all fairness the car is meant to be a cruiser/luxury tourer, not a muscle car. It's kinda like bashing a cruiser motorcycle for not being able to keep up with a sport bike; that's not what the thing is for.

The problem with that theory is that that particular generation of Eldorado was marketed as a "personal luxury sport coupe."

Fortunately, few of them survived to this late date - they are remembered with derision, if at all.

Hmm I have found an Audi A8, thanx due to vanMould, may have to review my opinion - I would not 'touch' any other V8 FWD car available in the UK market my self.

Ah yes, I meant Monte Carlo but typed Malibu. Doesn't Toyota offer V8 in one of their large JDM sedans?

And what makes the current K/G platform so bad? My PAU handles incredibly well especially considering how big and old it is. There is no torque steer and it always has great traction no matter what kind of weather. My car has "GT Sport" suspension, but that doesn't mean it's a sports car.

And as Kajun said. they were not designed to be sports cars, it was just marketing. Anyone buying a "sport" Cadillac back then would just expect to be able to take a corner 5mph faster than normal every now and then.