Why are Jaguars so cheap?

Overheat

Forum Addict
Just been looking at second hand cars and noticed that Jags are incredibly cheap, anyone know why this is?

Here's some examples:

?250 - 1990 JAGUAR SOVEREIGN 4.2, 4dr Auto 150000 miles
?395 - 1988 E Reg JAGUAR Sovereign 3.6, 4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Electric, 110,000 miles.
?450 - 1993 JAGUAR SOVEREIGN 4.0, 4dr Auto Saloon
?495 - 1989 F Reg Jaguar XJ6 3590 cc, 4 Doors, Automatic, SALOON, Petrol.
?599 - F Reg JAGUAR XJ SERIES 3, Manual, Petrol, 120,000 miles.
?650 - 1988 JAGUAR XJ6 Auto, E reg.
?693 - JAGUAR Sovereign 3.2, 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol.
?699 - G Reg JAGUAR XJ SERIES XJ6 2.9 AUTO, 4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol.
?750 - JAGUAR XJRS, F reg. Met Blue, e/h/seats, FJSH.

This is just the first page from www.autotrader.co.uk but there are 3 pages before it even gets over ?1000. Can someone explain to me what's wrong with these cars as I find Jaguars quite attractive.

***EDIT - can someone alter my title to remove the grammatical error please? :D

Title fixed, incarceration by grammar police, averted. :coplight:

Title fixed, incarceration by grammar police, averted.

:lol: :lol:

Just been looking at second hand cars and noticed that Jags are incredibly cheap, anyone know why this is

Because Ford makes them, i dont know... :unsure:

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
I've heard that they basically fall apart after a few years - and the parts are really expensive.

You hit it right on the nail. In Canada at least, Jaguar parts are very expensive.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
I've heard that they basically fall apart after a few years - and the parts are really expensive.
Yup...unreliable and expensive to fix.

the problem with jags is that the parts are expensive, therefore if anything goes wrong it will never get fixed.

10 year old jag has loads of problems

They're also full of electrical problems

Jaguars have generally no re-sale value... cars like Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Volkswagon, Saab and Volvo's depreciate really fast here... just wanna ask is it the same in where you live?

As far as I know Volkswagen has a very good re-sal value after many years. I think Volvo is about the same, but don't know too much about it.
And as Jeremy said, Alfa is kinda bad 8)

volvo is not too bad in depreciation... but compared to japanese cars... all european and scandinavian cars don't do so well in keeping their value

Out of the quality cars French & Italian depreciate fastest over here... Seats and Skodas also depreciate quite quickly. German, Swedish & Japanese keep their value.

you practically loose all your money when you buy a skoda here... :lol: ... but tbh... it isn't that bad... better than the protons we get here

I had a mate who bought a new Jag XKR, black with cream leather interior and all the options.

Cost about ?75K

Sold it 3 years later and struggled to get ?35 for it despite being mint and low milage.

My dad drives a 93 Sovereign, has never gone wrong but it's worth nothing now.

Parts are a killer though not as expensive as performance Jap stuff.

Matthew

One important issue also affecting the value, insurance. They are bloody expensive for Jags...

I was stunned yesterday after watching a TG review of the XK8, I looked and found a nice 1997 XK8 Coupe with 66000km's on it for 35k CDN

although it starts to be a bit old it's still produced and looks almost exactly like a brand now one that sells for 96k

ACQ0451_1.jpg

I found a convert for 30k price but it has 100k km's on it, still what a deal!

also this 2000 XJ8 with only 26000km on it for... 30k!!!! WOW! this is very cheap, what a huge depreciation

367516.jpg

If you buy a Jag like that, and you know how to fix things... You're up for a rea bargain.

However, the biggest problem for those who sells their old XJs is peoples prejudice. After Ford came along Jags became very reliable, so it doesent really mean you have to fix things dayly...

There was a piece in top gear some years back (in the time of Quentin) where they looked at a Jag XJR and an Audi A8, both were 5 years old and both on the market for 10K!!! Talk about depreciation. Been wanting to make a pilgrimage to the UK used cars sales lot ever since :) Just wish the damn taxes weren't so bloody high for importing in here...

The other reason is that dam V12 engine, jes is it complex, bloody great engine though, apprently it's not to hard to get it tuned up to 800HP unfortunatly the car will destroy it's self with that much power.

Also british leyland have a lot to blamed for by build them so badly for years jaguar just has a rep for being crap. I don't think has been true for a long time (since ford really). But luxury cars are always bad for depreciation, A8's, 7 series BMW's drop like a stone. tempting isn't :)