Fastest cars in the world.... in the future

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Before I go on to the main topic, let me just say that I was REALLY REALLY REALLLYYY bored. So before any of you tell me I have no life and whatnot, I want to just say that yes I do agree I have no life :p.

Anyways, what I did was to take the list of the fastest production cars and their top speeds listed by year and speed off of wikipedia and then put it into excel.

I wanted to see if there was a link between the year the car was made, and the top speed. And I'm delighted to say, that there is.

fastestcarschart.png

The R^2 value is not bad. Sure there are some dates missing and I think at one point the fastest car was actually slower than its predecessor, but otherwise that's a pretty good correlation wouldn't you say so?

The only downside is, that if the trend continues as is, we will see a road-legal production car with a top speed of 300 mph only in the year 2037 :(

Let the "Lurker, you have no life and you suck" flame fest begin :p

Oh and the link to the fastest production cars is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_production_car

you really are pretty bored.

how about a game of cs?

edit - by 2037 the roads will be so packed that you barely do 30 anyway. 300mph would be shit scary though, it wont be exciting anymore, just plain fucking shit scary. i dont think i'd have the balls to do that at the age of 52

Last edited:
That's a good idea bro, I think I might just pop the hood on steam and get some CSS action going. Either that or half life or something.

And yeah man, the roads will be hugely clotted up. I think by that time we should have hover cars and whatnot. If not I'm staying at home when I'm 50 :p. We can play CS or something :lol:

Here a question i would love to have answered (mathmatically), if a car can do 250mph with 500hp how much power does it need to do 300mph? what about 350mph?

10,000? that sounds a little high. Wish i could remember the equations i used to know.

Power = Force * Velocity and Force = mass * acceleration.

We want power, we can set the mass to be like 1.5 tons or 2 tons or something, and we can set the velocity to 300 mph. We just need to know acceleration.

I guess we could do something like keep the 0-60 time constant. So 0-60 mph in like what... 3 seconds?

Plugging "2 tons * 300 mph * (60 mph / 3 seconds) in hp" into google gives ~2920 hp.

There you go :D. I'm going to set my foot on fire now to cure boredom

Edit: Couldn't find the lighter fluid, so I did the calc for 350 mph and its 3400 hp with the same weight and 0-60 time.

Granted the 0-60 time should be much smaller if we're setting our sights on 300-350 mph as the top speed. So if we drop the 0-60 time to lets say... 2 seconds even, keep the weight the same we get the following results:

To go 300 mph: ~4380 hp
To go 350 mph: ~5105 hp

I could go on and on, but it'd get hella boring and you can plug in values yourself and find out if you're really THAT curious

Last edited:
It's really amazing to me how the graph is so linear. I would have thought it would taper off or start increasing exponentially, or something. But it really just climbs steadily like that? Crazy.

Reactions: LP
Here a question i would love to have answered (mathmatically), if a car can do 250mph with 500hp how much power does it need to do 300mph? what about 350mph?

aerodynamics.

thats all they need to improve on, nailing down couple of thousand hp can be tricky and tyre consuming.

but it would be pretty impressive to see something a regular shape sedan being shunted @ 300+mph, simply beacuse it has 5000+bhp :lol:

Reactions: LP
aerodynamics.

thats all they need to improve on, nailing down couple of thousand hp can be tricky and tyre consuming.

but it would be pretty impressive to see something a regular shape sedan being shunted @ 300+mph, simply beacuse it has 5000+bhp :lol:

:lol: Yes that would be quite impressive. I think if you didn't want something like the Brabus or the Merc CL65 thing to happen where you had millions and millions of HP and millions more torque resulting in wasting all your tires before you got anywhere, you would have to fit like... tractor-sized tires :blink: . Maybe we could do what they do on trucks and fit 2 tires side by side instead of just 1 tire.

And you're right aerodynamics would be a big issue. It would have to be like a Caparo T1 or an F1 car except.... 20 times better.

So the recipe comes out to be:

+Nuclear reactor for an engine
+Tires the size of the moon
+The shape of a Boeing 747 Jet wing for a chassis
+Air conditioning and cup holders :p

I once (a long long time ago) saw a documentary on experimental jet fighters, which claimed that a theory is being tested, where the fighter would project an ionising beam in front of itself, which would cut the air much finely than the physical nose of the plane would on its own, which would drastically reduce aerodynamic drag and allow the plane to travel much faster than even the blackbird. Shame that nothing has come from that idea, seemed quite promissing.

It's really amazing to me how the graph is so linear. I would have thought it would taper off or start increasing exponentially, or something. But it really just climbs steadily like that? Crazy.

Me too. I would have thought things would be levelling out.
I guess not.
Thankfully.

I once (a long long time ago) saw a documentary on experimental jet fighters, which claimed that a theory is being tested, where the fighter would project an ionising beam in front of itself, which would cut the air much finely than the physical nose of the plane would on its own, which would drastically reduce aerodynamic drag and allow the plane to travel much faster than even the blackbird. Shame that nothing has come from that idea, seemed quite promissing.

That sounds mighty interesting! Hopefully they can fit it to cars!:)

I am willing to bet that a graph of the power of top speed cars vs year would be exponential, since drag goes up exponentially with speed. I don't feel like doing this graph myself, but...hey, LurkerPatrol! Make yourself useful! :p

Power = Force * Velocity and Force = mass * acceleration.

We want power, we can set the mass to be like 1.5 tons or 2 tons or something, and we can set the velocity to 300 mph. We just need to know acceleration.

I guess we could do something like keep the 0-60 time constant. So 0-60 mph in like what... 3 seconds?

Plugging "2 tons * 300 mph * (60 mph / 3 seconds) in hp" into google gives ~2920 hp.

There you go :D. I'm going to set my foot on fire now to cure boredom

Edit: Couldn't find the lighter fluid, so I did the calc for 350 mph and its 3400 hp with the same weight and 0-60 time.

Granted the 0-60 time should be much smaller if we're setting our sights on 300-350 mph as the top speed. So if we drop the 0-60 time to lets say... 2 seconds even, keep the weight the same we get the following results:

To go 300 mph: ~4380 hp
To go 350 mph: ~5105 hp

I could go on and on, but it'd get hella boring and you can plug in values yourself and find out if you're really THAT curious

just a remark from someone who wished he'd done higher studies :shy;

but the original question was:

nothing about acceleration asked...
and i've always been told that for top speed the mass doesn't matter...

:dunno:

just a remark from someone who wished he'd done higher studies :shy;

but the original question was:

nothing about acceleration asked...
and i've always been told that for top speed the mass doesn't matter...

:dunno:

I answered the question, and told him the power needed to carry a certain weight and reach the certain speeds he wanted. 2920 hp in fact to go 300 mph. For that equation you need to know the acceleration because realistically when you put your foot down, you don't just automatically get to 350 mph do you?

See power is defined as the work done over a certain period of time, and the work done here is accelerating the mass of the car upto a certain velocity. So both acceleration and mass are important. Force = mass*acceleration after all and power = Force * velocity

The person above noted that a car only needs 865 hp to travel at 300 mph, but that calculator only figures for maintaining that speed, so everything is constant and acceleration is 0. To actually get to 300 mph from a standstill (0 mph) requires a lot more and you have to factor in all these other things like acceleration and work and whatnot. I hope that helped.

Out of all the repleys i'm pretty sure this has been the most accurate, i wasn't asking about acceleration, just how much MORE power it would take to go 300mph if a 500hp car could already do 250mph, and or 200mph with 230hp. (Mercedes C111-III)

Playing around with this little calculator and taking a CW Value of 0.31 and a frontal area 15.5 sq/ft i got ~ 500 hp for 250 mph, same configuration at 300 mph needed ~ 865 hp.

c1113.jpg

mrc5.jpg

:heart:

i know its a little radical looking, but i can think of much less attractive and significant Germans. God i love proper aerodynamics.

Last edited:
Ah I see, my bad dude :(

Maybe its a bit more complicated than what I did....