Why do so many people consider the Mazda MX-5 "Gay"?

Something to ponder, regarding marketing:

The Nissan Sylvia, 180SX, 240SX etc. were also marketed towards women; they were called in Japan "date cars".

Now look at them, they are snapped up by 18-24 year old males.

Blending in is usually a good thing, i suppose you think Lamborghini's are genuinely "cool" cars? If i knew someone rolling around in a 80's or 90's lambo (despite it being an interesting car by itself) i would be more likely to laugh at them then think "wow, cool".

Not sure about the whole lambo thing, but the nice thing about the stigma about the Miata is that cops aren't likely to look at you for racing or being a general idiot on the road. As far as some of them are concerned it's just a slow girls car, and if a guy's driving it, it's only because it's his girlfriends car.

I joked with the idea of putting 1 or 2 small clues in my mx-5 to make people thing it's "the girlfriends car." A vanity plate or custom plate frame making reference to a sorority or being "her gift from daddy", and a flower sticker on the trunk lid. Quite frankly though, thats just pushing it too far.

the opposite is actually true. Stock from the factory mazda has eeked out just about all the NA power you can get from the motor without major work but both motors 1.6l B6 and 1.8L BP LOVE the boost even with stock compression ratios and fuel system. I know of atleast two people pushing 350+ on their BPs(not stock fuel but some stock internals). Hell the super franken swap in the GTX community is an automatic 1.8L block with a 99+ head and the flyin miata turbo kit it makes the BPD (323 GTR motor) look like a little girl

check out
http://www.flyinmiata.com/

It was a long time ago that I read an article about the locally produced SP version and they were explaining the difficulties they had with it. Here's an article and the middle section details some problems.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1409/article.html

But it was a long time ago, and my memory is bad, so I'll concede that I'm either mistaken or flat out wrong. :(

I was probably reading how hard it was to tune NA and how everyone was racing to build a turbo kit but finding it more difficult than they thought it would be.

Anyway, these = girls cars

Niss_micra_CC_jap.jpg

30forCap_leadimage.jpg

MX-5 = fun

miata_r_750.jpg

And I laugh at the people claiming its small engine size is what makes it a girls car. Does that mean a Thunderbird is the man's choice?

hey hey the XR2 capri actually shares motors with the GTX (b6t) and can be a load of fun... tho i suppose it is kinda a chick car

At least the MX-5s being driven by people who think they are slow, and least you can be sure they aren't being abused. Then again, I see a few around Dallas, that have serious rollbars in them :driving:

I also dont get the "Miata's are gay" talk, but then again I am a track rat and when I think Miata's I think spec miatas. And fyi they respond very well to boost. There are some guys in my region with crazy fast turbo miata's.

PSM-AD.jpg

think of it this way, If you're driving a girly car, men will say gay, women will say "hmm, he's obviously not compensating for anything........":p
I sure as hell wouldn't laugh if you showed up in the MX-5

would if it was a hummer though....

I also dont get the "Miata's are gay" talk, but then again I am a track rat and when I think Miata's I think spec miatas. And fyi they respond very well to boost. There are some guys in my region with crazy fast turbo miata's.

PSM-AD.jpg

Road atlanta for the win.

The Miata reminds me of a commercial for antiperspirant a while back...

(to paraphrase)

"good enough for a man...but made for a woman"

:)

Steve

^:lol:

hey hey the XR2 capri actually shares motors with the GTX (b6t) and can be a load of fun... tho i suppose it is kinda a chick car

FWD FTL.

Its a poor man's MX-5

I think I made a mistake before also. What I read may have been referring not so much to the engines boostability, but perhaps to how difficult it was to install a blower? Lack of room and no real grill for a FMIC. Just forget I said it.

And BTW, the Australian developed SP (turbo 157kW) was the same price as a WRX STi at the time, with no air-con!

PSM-AD.jpg

To me they are fine if they have a hardtop on them, I'm not a fan of the open top cars. Also to me convertibles always sound girly I don't know why.

Blending in is usually a good thing, i suppose you think Lamborghini's are genuinely "cool" cars? If i knew someone rolling around in a 80's or 90's lambo (despite it being an interesting car by itself) i would be more likely to laugh at them then think "wow, cool".

You have some really weird opinions on cars there, buddy. :lol:

anyone know the best way to record my miatas engine sound?

a mic pluged into the laptop diddnt work (too loud for it) and I was kind of hoping I wouldnt have to tape it with camcorder.

My miata is probably going to die (or kill me) soon and I wanted to record it before it does. sounds way too fucking cool for a stock 4cyl

anyone know the best way to record my miatas engine sound?

a mic pluged into the laptop diddnt work (too loud for it) and I was kind of hoping I wouldnt have to tape it with camcorder.

My miata is probably going to die (or kill me) soon and I wanted to record it before it does. sounds way too fucking cool for a stock 4cyl

Digital cameras with video options are fairly good. Some camera phones have reasonable audio quality with said videos recording.

I don't know what you have availible, but i recorded both of these with a digital camera

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9daEU5RIPN0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=KIYqWpBUYCk[/YOUTUBE]

both the car owners were happy with the quality when i talked to them months later.

My girlfriend's got a NC and I love it. Its just so much fun to drive.

Its probably got its "hairdresser's car" stigmata for having more chassis than power, which makes it feel even slower, and the fact that its an open-top.

Unless you're driving a seriously quick vehicle, its really hard not to look gay in an open top.

Its probably got its "hairdresser's car" stigmata for having more chassis than power, which makes it feel even slower, and the fact that its an open-top.

Unless you're driving a seriously quick vehicle, its really hard not to look gay in an open top.

This is true. Women love open cars.
Remember the Sienfeld episode where he bought a convertible Saab?