Why do so many people consider the Mazda MX-5 "Gay"?

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Considering one, just wondering why this cool roadster is considered so effite? Its not like it has goofy styling like the new beetle, or is even remotely practical for families, those two things being the primary things that make a car "gay".

Why do they have such a reputation? Do you think a respectable heterosexual male could drive around miami in one and not get laughed at as he drove by? :D

Because it just looks a bit....feminin, its a very girliy, despite have a great chassis and RWD for very little money. Tho if your not fussed about what other people think of you its fine.

067492.5-lg.jpg

Girly

mazda-mx5.jpg

Girly?

car27-lg.jpg

Girly??

Admittedly, you do see a lot of women driving it. I think its a great car though, although I don't think I would ever buy one. Don't think I could deal with the hit to my masculinity.

Edit: And then I realize my sig comprises a man in a skirt with a glass of sherry...

^ Yeah, whats up with that?

and back on topic, not only is the Beetle girly its ugly and over-priced, its just a Golf with a flower holder

I guess it depends on where you hang out. I'm more likely to view them as a racer than gay. Then again, most Miata owners I know are through SCCA and the cars are either autocrossed or road raced in Spec Miata.

Last edited:
I don't think the new one is nearly as much as the old one, that being said, I would buy one.

you're all nuts

neither MX5, Beetle nor VW Golf are girly cars.

A stock MX5 is not a manly car, (especially the older ones) but with a V8, it becomes quite a beast.
MMiata143.jpg

Last edited:
The Triumph Spitfire is for real men who drink the beer of the same name.

The MX-5 is considered girly here because it was marketed that way, and quickly became one of the best selling cars for young women, and was thought of as a hairdresser's car. They also seemd to only sell it in very bright colours to begin with. The same goes for the Mk1 SLK and the Z3 roadster.

The new MX5, SLK and Z4 are marketed much more at everyone, and have thus lost that image.

Shame, cracking little car the original, with pop-up lights. I'd have an Elan over it mind.

The original Miata was a small 4 cyl "cute" car and appealed to hairdressers and women who spend one day a week at the nail salon. It's a fantastic track car and was the rebirth of the small sports car in the North America, but that didn't stop it from appealing to women with small dog in designer outfits. I think the current MX-5 is the best of the lot - at least for looks. It appears less "cute" and looks more aggressive.

It is a small "cute" (not so much anymore) open top roadster with no power at all and it was also called a "Miata", I used to know a girl by that name. In fact just that it's a roadster makes it "girly" as roadsters (at least in the US) are generally viewed as girl cars. Real men drive convertibles with at least a V6 under the hood. Due to increased popularity of AutoX/drifting/street racing/smaller parking spaces this is slowly changing. However a stock MX-5 just doesn't have the necessary umph. V8 MX-5 however is something entirely different :)

Reactions: LP
Miata = gay.
I can't quite put my finger in on it, but that is a very girly car.

It emulates a British roadster. And British = effeminate = well...you get it.

I mean, there's a reason the sun never set on the British Empire -- because no one would trust them in the dark! :)

I'll admit the Miata's not a Pulsar, and it IS a neat little car...but it's not manly.

Steve

I mean, there's a reason the sun never set on the British Empire -- because no one would trust them in the dark! :)

As shown when you find 'them' in a basement brothel with Nazi hookers getting whipped while having tea...

Who cares what someone other than you thinks of it?

Did they buy it?
Do they insure it?
Do they maintain it?
Do they hold the title?

No? Then get over it, and enjoy one of the last true sports cars out there! Yeesh...some of you, who may like the car but are afraid to admit it, need to get over being self conscious, it will only hinder your entitled happiness you deserve throughout your life time.

Reactions: LP
I absolutely love the car. It only needs to have a V8 or at least it's one little engine seriously blown in order for it to be decent :) I would honestly take either one of the Beemer Z's or the S2000 if you want a nice little roadster mostly because of the power difference.