Cars With Pillarless Doors or Popup Headlights

Okay, I just have to state that I love retro cars and I love pop up headlights (because they embody the 80s, my favorite age for sports cars).

But I hate pillar-less doors, I like the look, very sleek. But I've driven a car with those for nearly a year: my dad's 1995 Lexus ES300.

I like to have the windows down all the time and the glass is a major part of the structure, so if you roll it down, you have a piece of cardboard. Everytime I shut the door, the door panels rattle.

In terms of function, I like my Mercedes' doors better.

That's not a function of pillarless doors, that's a function of cheap design.

But it's easier to have nice solid doors if you have a frame around the window.

I've noticed that nearly (I may miss some) all the German cars on the road today are framed doors.

But it's easier to have nice solid doors if you have a frame around the window.

I've noticed that nearly (I may miss some) all the German cars on the road today are framed doors.

There's a lot of Mercedes that have frameless glass now.

Also, it's not that hard to get solid doors without a frame. Even Jaguar could figure that one out while they were under BL.

Have you seen BMW's model range?

all the 3 series except the 4 door.
1 series
Z4 coupe and convert

all pillarless.

Okay, I just have to state that I love retro cars and I love pop up headlights (because they embody the 80s, my favorite age for sports cars).

But I hate pillar-less doors, I like the look, very sleek. But I've driven a car with those for nearly a year: my dad's 1995 Lexus ES300.

I like to have the windows down all the time and the glass is a major part of the structure, so if you roll it down, you have a piece of cardboard. Everytime I shut the door, the door panels rattle.

In terms of function, I like my Mercedes' doors better.

Neither my Mustang nor my MG had/have that problem. That says a lot about Toyota's quality if a comi built roadster is of better build quality.

But Toyotas are rated with the best long term quality out of everything in the market.

But Toyotas are rated with the best long term quality out of everything in the market.

Doesn't mean they won't rattle like a rattlesnake with Parkinson's. My MR2 also had that problem with its pillarless doors.

If I was Toyota I would bury whoever designed those doors in a shallow grave ...

before of after they suffer a near-lethal crash

My favorite pop ups,
Zr31
used to own one
2edm5a8.jpg

Mark III Supra
op1k41.jpg

The NSX
800px-Honda_NSX.jpg

The C5
Z06-Blk-7.jpg

RX7s