Our "own" car reviews

So I got me a testcar again...But it's something very rare, especially here...

The logo is this, which reminds me of the "it's something" guy.

Turns out this is the logo for Infiniti, which is to Nissan what Lexus is to Toyota. That is to say, a very large, very expensive luxury version of the normal cars. Supposedly this thing should compete in the Audi A6/BMW 5/ Merc E class range, which is saying something from a lowly Nissan (they can't hide it)... Any of the 3 previous cars is absolutely fine (I'd take the 5er in a heartbeat), but if you just don't want any of the above, this may be a good alternative. Well, maybe, maybe not. It was my mission to find out.
(FYI of the 3 usual suspects I've only driven the Merc E class so I may not be the best person for this test). Also, excuse the pictures, as the car was absolutely filthy inside and out when I got it, and I couldn't be arsed to clean a car I don't own.

Onwards!

Exterior

Looks pretty bland to be quite frank. It's completely unknown here yet still has this "large generic Japanese car" thing going.

I like the front end though, it looks just mean and angry.
See this coming at you on the highway and you'll move out of the way (as people did).
I also like the curvy bonnet, but the rear dissapoints and just screams more "some Japanese car".

Only thing that saved it really were the twin exhausts on either side

It came with ridiculous 19" wheels as standard, but as usual they look pretty damn awesome in gunmetal grey.
Yeah, they ruin the ride a bit, but dayem...

For some reason it had huge side mirrors. Yes, it's a big and wide car, so I don't quite see the point in fitting extreme mirrors.
I did like the fact that they were painted some sort of shiny piano finish though

Interior

Ahh electric seats, leather, all the toys. So far so good. Reminded me a lot of the Qashqai I drove earlier, but that's less than half the cost of this. What does that money buy you?

Space, mostly, as both front and rear seats are gigantic and give you tons of room in all directions. My poor wife (she's only 150cm/5" tall) could not close the doors as she could not reach the handle...

Rear seat were near identical to the fronts, as you see 2 child seats were no issue, and because of the massive legroom, the kids weren't even able to kick or smudge the front seats. Big bonus points if you ask me. Small niggle though : the doors were massive, heavy, and lined with the softest leather in the world. But they didn't have any cubbyholes. Something my stupid C1 manages...

Practicality

A boot full of crap, or so you would think. Bootspace was actually quite small for this size of car. The biggest problem was the shape of the boot, it was an upside down T, which means you couldn't put stuff where you wanted. Why not a nice big rectangular boot, Nissan? Sure, it swallowed all of this stuff and more, but it could have been so much better with a slightly different shape.

Something I've never seen on a Euro car : a little handle to let yourself out if you've accidentally locked yourself in the boot. Who does this? As in, ever?

Gigantic cupholder, which is good. Glove box that's nearly full when all it holds is the manual = bad. Also the front doors had nearly no room to put stuff...

Other stuff : the car was huge, as discussed, so it had front and rear parking sensors, aswell as a camera. Took me a while to figure out that it takes a couple of seconds before the sensors actually engage... My dad in law parked it against his garage door before noticing the beep, because it was just too late... something our Picasso also manages, but again, that cost less than half the price 10 years ago...Ungood.

Satnav, stereo, toys

Same dials and switches than the ones on a Qashqai. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you can see they've raided the Nissan bins for stuff like this, and you'd rather not see this on a near 45k? car.

Twin touchscreens baby! Top one is satnav all the time, bottom one can be anything (stereo, HVAC controls, satnav,etc).
Silly as it may seem, but these systems don't seem interconnected, and more puzzlingly, have bespoke controls. The million satnav buttons only work on the top screen, the bottom one needs to be pushed with fingers. Even more strangely, the bottom screen was full of greasy fingers, while the top one wasn't? And I used the top one more? Weird stuff at first but once I got used to it, quite OK

On the other hand the system did have Intel Inside, but it was sloooooooooow. Took near 10 minutes to scan my 32GB USB drive, and then shat itself when I asked it to randomize. Smaller usb drives worked better and faster, but again my little C1 manages 32 GB and 4000 files just fine?
It also had apps which worked through your phone but I didn't really try any of those.

HVAC controls via the touchscreen was weird, but worked fine. First car I've ever known to not have physical buttons for this.

Audio system was a proper high end Bose one (with a massive speaker which was as wide as the dash) worked fine. You may mock my choice of music now. Twin USB drives (one called USB and one called iPod, but both worked with either) + SD card + BT Audio + Aux in were more than enough choices for me.

Everything is tucked neatly into the armrest, and with 2 USBs you can have one for music and one for charging your phone simultaneously.
Also a good spot for putting the connection, I massively prefer this to the glovebox or beneath the dash, as it's hidden away, but still easily reachable if you need it.

More Nissan stuff : the center screen between the dials is exactly the same. Still a nice feature, as you can have it display satnav instructions, the music you're listening to, etc etc.

Ride and comfort

One thing really stood out : it's whisper quiet. At almost any speed. Even the huge wheels and runflat tyres don't really make any noise, and unless you rev the shit out of it, neither does the engine. This one came with an excellent 7 speed auto box and 4 settings :

Spent the first day mostly in Sport mode, as it makes the steering heavier (without adding more feedback sadly), and lets you rev a bit harder and longer, aswell as giving you a quicker throttle response. You could customize it but I didn't really bother.

At first it was quite annoying that the car shifted when you didn't want it to, even in manual mode(it had wheel paddles). Then I figured out you get a little shift light to warn you. Redline was 4,5k though, and the light went on around 4k. As I'm used to shifting at 7k, I had some trouble adjusting, usually shifting right after the car had autoshifted, putting me 2 gears up and this killing the acceleration. Quite a steep learning curve but I did manage to get the hang of it in the end.

Standard mode is good for long distance cruising, as the shifts are softer and more seamless. You can still shift manually if you like, but there's no real point in standard mode. A plus was that you could go from manual to auto and back with the paddles on the wheel.

The ride was good, on the firmer side but nothing too bad. As it has 4wd I never actually could get it to misbehave (aside from a tiny tyre squeal when flooring it in 1st on a wet surface). Hard cornering was fine, as was completely nailing the throttle mid corner (which could and should unsettle the car)... all was fine. And that's part of the trouble, it was too good, so good that you needed to be doing ridiculous speed to have some fun with it. And you can't do that on a daily basis.

Engine & handling

Engine was a 2.2 diesel (yeah I know) unit, producing 170 hp (and what felt like 1000 nm of torque, the internet tells me it's more like 400).
0-100 kph in 8.7 seconds isn't world record beating, but more than capable. I particularly liked the fact it didn't really stop accelerating unless you were well above legal speeds. Overtaking on highways has not been this fun since I still had my Astra. Topspeed would be around 230 kph, I managed 208 before I thought it would be best to back off a bit. Speedo exaggerates massively though, it was over 220 when my GPS gave me 208. I thought that was just a thing Italian cars did?

Sadly the real engine was covered by a big piece of plastic so this is all I can show you.
A thirsty bastard though, on the roughly 800 kms I covered (mostly @ 120kph on motorways because speedcameras) I only managed 7,9l/100km. A BMW would be between 5,5 and 6 there...

Overall verdict :

Difficult to call this one. Interior is lovely, but the boot's stupid. It isn't really ugly, but far from the prettiest car in its class. The engine is quite good but drinks far too much. The satnav does wonderful things, but it's so slow and messes up my songs on my USB drive.

What stood out most in all of the things, was that while it does many things very good, it isn't a car where you can't wait to drive it. It's actually quite boring, at the same time as it's awesome. It felt very Japanese in the sense that it was made to be as good as they can be for X amount of money. They aimed at comfort (and succeeded), power and handling (and succeeded) but forgot to put in the thing that to me, defines a car : character. So, excellent car in all of the objective criteria (some niggles aside), but subjectively, I can't really recommend it over an Audi Merc or BMW. Sadly, I think Infiniti's nearly non existence here has its reasons...

8/10

A thirsty bastard though, on the roughly 800 kms I covered (mostly @ 120kph on motorways because speedcameras) I only managed 7,9l/100km. A BMW would be between 5,5 and 6 there...
I thought "hey that's not too bad for a large petrol sedan" but then remembered it's a diesel. WOW! Renault: Don't let Nissan do diesels, they have no idea how they work :lol:

I have never ever seen that car on the road. I once saw a Infinity EX37 though. Once. Sorry Infinity, I don't understand you. Twin LCD screens? Did you half way through the design process notice Tesla have one huuuuge screen, realized you wanted that but couldn't undo all the work already put into the car? Why does it have two LCD screens? It looks stupid. One is glossy and one is not. The bezels are different too. At least sound insulation is good, that's often overlooked by the asians. Leather looks nice. Fake aluminium plastic trim in center console and around the armrest looks cheeeap. As a European I take offence with overuse of TEXT LABELS ON BUTTONS.
I too like the front end styling, even if it's not very original doing angry car look with lensed bulbs for beady eyes (no HID as it's lacking washers). On the plus side it has non-intrusive boot hinges, often these things have those cheap spring-loaded things that either steel alot of cargo space or crushes your cargo (yes I'm looking at you Lexus)

Re: the funny escape handle, I've seen it on other asian cars but not as pronounced as that (label and all). The i30 has an emergency escape too, but it requires you bring your own screwdriver to insert into the slot. So that's something to think about if you're Yakuza or planning on being abducted by the same. Pick a Q50 (or not if you're purchase manager for the Yakuza).

Last edited:
Glad I'm not alone with the twin screen remarks. And yes, they probably saw the Tesla, panicked and nailed another screen on there. Silly thing is that they're both very limited in what they show, you can only have satnav on top and music below, not the other way around if you would want to...

The trunk escape handle has been a requirement in the US since the early 00's in reaction to kids locking themselves in the trunk. That and kidnappings of both adults and kids.

In my neighborhood, it's not uncommon for parents to let their kids play in the car(so stupid!), I guess that's how it happens. :dunno:

I hope they learn to engage drive... Any good kidnapper will make sure to cut that little release latch and not leave their target unrestrained in the boot. ;)
Further note to Yakuza purchase managers: the last point is especially important if you're kidnapping someone in a Lexus L200h (because enviroment) as the parcel shelf leaves little protection against runaways.

At first it was quite annoying that the car shifted when you didn't want it to, even in manual mode(it had wheel paddles). Then I figured out you get a little shift light to warn you. Redline was 4,5k though, and the light went on around 4k. As I'm used to shifting at 7k, I had some trouble adjusting, usually shifting right after the car had autoshifted, putting me 2 gears up and this killing the acceleration. Quite a steep learning curve but I did manage to get the hang of it in the end.
It's an automatic, you're supposed to just leave it in D and cruise. Paddles are a novelty in a car like this.

And the fact the the gearbox shifted even when in manual mode is, well, not a problem, and in some cases actually a good thing. It shifted at redline because well, redline. No point in bouncing off the rev limiter.

And it probably downshifts when you bury the throttle pedal as well, even in manual mode. This is a GOOD thing. I had a Volvo that didn't. It happened more than once that I moved out to overtake something, floored it and... nothing. I didn't get the downshift. Always took me a second to remember that I had shifted manually 15 minutes earlier and just left it in manual mode. That second is alarmingly long when there's a lorry coming the other way.

I thought "hey that's not too bad for a large petrol sedan" but then remembered it's a diesel. WOW! Renault: Don't let Nissan do diesels, they have no idea how they work :lol:

Nissan aren't doing any diesels. The Q50 is (according to Wikipedia) powered by a Mercedes OM651 unit, the normal 2.1 liter CDI we get in the C/E etc. Wonder Nissan put a 2.2 badge on it.

Guess it's another side effect of the Renault/Nissan partnership that produced the Citan/Kangoo and Twingo/Smart. Usually they source them from Renault though.

It's an automatic, you're supposed to just leave it in D and cruise. Paddles are a novelty in a car like this.

And the fact the the gearbox shifted even when in manual mode is, well, not a problem, and in some cases actually a good thing. It shifted at redline because well, redline. No point in bouncing off the rev limiter.

And it probably downshifts when you bury the throttle pedal as well, even in manual mode. This is a GOOD thing.

Nissan aren't doing any diesels. The Q50 is (according to Wikipedia) powered by a Mercedes OM651 unit, the normal 2.1 liter CDI we get in the C/E etc. Wonder Nissan put a 2.2 badge on it.

Yeah I know but I wanted to try the Sportmode to see if its marketing bullshit or not (it is). Also whats the point of manual mode if it isnt fully manual? Sure if I'm redlining it for 10seconds straight, shift up by all means. But not after 1,5 seconds. Also, redline at 4,5k? Even my Astra did 5250.

It does downshift aswell when you nail it, and this I have no problem with (for the reason you described).

Isn't the Merc engine something like 2178 cc? Thus closer to 2.2 than 2.1?

Also whats the point of manual mode if it isnt fully manual? Sure if I'm redlining it for 10seconds straight, shift up by all means. But not after 1,5 seconds.

In almost all automatic cars the manual mode is a suggestion to the automatic gearbox, not a lot more. Instances when you want to stay on the redline exist on the racetrack, but not on the street.

From the "Craig will drive anything he can get the keys to" series, I present the:

2006 Ford Econoline E-350 U-Haul moving truck

20140730_213116_resized.jpg

A friend of mine was moving and needed an extra hand this evening unloading the U-Haul on it's last trip from the old house to the new. After unloading, he asked If I'd like to drive the truck back to the rental yard. Of course I sprang at the chance.

As you can see the van is covered in some sort of strange graphic depicting an Indian woman and something about Montana. Which clashes a bit with the child's scribble on the door and the racing stripes on the hood.

As I climb into the driver's seat my first impressions are: It's a van. It sets like a van, the interior is laid out like all vans have been for the last umpteen billion years and it's a cheap van at that. The main two seats have really crappy covers that Autozone would be embarrassed to sell. The engine whirs to life with same sound that all modular Fords do, it's odd mix of plastic sounding gears and a wheezing giraffe.

The first motion I have to perform is to reverse out of the wet yard onto the street (why they nosed the truck into the yard is beyond me), at this point I realized that the mirrors are quite ample and provide great visibility. If only they weren't covered in rain and it wasn't pitch dark outside. After blindly finding my way onto the road I head off down the narrow street for my 25 mile test drive.

We stopped at the gas station just down form my friend's new place to top off the tank with the correct amount of fuel that will allow us to return the truck with exactly 5/8 of a tank of fuel remaining. How they determined this number, I am unsure. There is no mark on the gauge for 5/8 and the penalty for returning the truck with less than this amount is $30, plus $5 a gallon for $3.15 a gallon gasoline. Right...

As we merge onto I-49 to head north to the U-Haul Moving & Storage facility at 7th and Florida in Joplin, Missouri, I notice what at first glance is an aftermarket gauge pod and boost gauge. Alas though, it's only a vacuum gauge with a simple green and red design to let you know if you are achieving "Best M.P.G.". As I am on a shoestring budget of gas anyway, I only try pegging it it in the red a few times. Acceleration is not exactly brisk, but much better than the last F-350 with a 460 c.i. U-Haul truck I rented. I'd imagine you could get from 0-60 in at least a few weeks. The remainder of the trip was pretty straight forward. Traveling at 60-65 mph, trying to keep from pissing off the "Best M.P.G." gauge and watching that we don't dip below that magic 5/8 of a tank of fuel.

20140730_213247_resized.jpg20140730_213253_resized.jpg

As we pull into the rental yard we are greeted with about 8 more late returns sitting in the return line. Dropped the key into the mail slot and left for a late dinner.

Overall I was actually impressed with the power that the engine produced (I am unsure if it was a 4.6 or 5.4 as it didn't say on the air intake tube). It's better than our 1998 GMC 6.5 ambulance. But that will have to wait for another day...

I count 11. Interior reminds me a little of the 1st gen Focus, thinking of the "swoop" in the dash over by the radio and airvents. Also funny arrangement there.

Our "own" car reviews

I rented a similar model and it was a 5.4. Did both speakers for the radio work in yours? The Three I've had to rent(all different sized vans) had only one speaker working in each of them.

I've had to do 4 hour round trip in them and remember dancing on the gas pedal just to watch the gauge move around. It's also not vacuum operated as it moves when the engines off but the key is turned on.

Last edited:
Craig was not the only driving a van as I helped my girlfriend give up her apartment at the other end of Germany and move in with me full time. The van for the job was a brand-spanking-new Merc Vito - when I got it from Hertz, it had 74 kilometers on the clock.

Let me start this mini-review by telling you that I've driven most commercial vans available on the market - the old Vito, both generations of Sprinter, all generations of Transit since the bugeye, the VW T3, T4, T5, Crafter and LT, Renault Trafic, the works. This was the worst of the bunch.

The cockpit is clean and practical enough, but the plastic feels cheap and there's no place within the driver's reach where you can put your sunglasses and/or your smartphone. Especially the "sunglasses" part annoyed me to no end.
But that's not the worst part. The worst part was the seat. This was the first seat in any motor vehicle ever (and I've driven a lot of weird stuff from WW II military trucks to current LWB luxuary sedans) in which I was unable to find a comfortable seating position and got back pain twenty minutes into our five-hour journey.

The engine is very capable, I drove 170 kph in it and it was still accellerating, visibility is good, handling is excellent, fuel economy is fine, but it fails at the most important task of being a van: At being a nice place to work for the driver. I pity anyone who actually has to spend 8+ hours a day in one of these things as his or her day job.

In almost all automatic cars the manual mode is a suggestion to the automatic gearbox, not a lot more. Instances when you want to stay on the redline exist on the racetrack, but not on the street.
Last bit is true but I did not expect a redline so early in a 'sporty' large sedan

Last bit is true but I did not expect a redline so early in a 'sporty' large sedan

Crappy diesel is crappy :dunno: see fuel economy.
For comparison, you can rev a bog-standard Golf TDI beyond 5k... there's no gained speed from that because of the diesel power plunge, but still...

Crappy diesel + me needing to readjust to low down torque and not a million rpm is not a good combination