Our "own" car reviews

I dunno yet. In "normal" mode I've yet to use the petrol engine, it's been purely electric for 20 kms or so.
I guess "charge" mode just turns petrol into electricity and charges the battery. Haven't driven for long enough to drain the battery fully.
Charge mode in traffic is weird though, because you sit perfectly still and the engine still revs itself to charge the battery.
Its a CVT box which sucks though, although the sound deadening is so good it's barely noticable...

Thing is massive though, and a bitch to park on normal euro roads/parking spots.

I dunno yet. In "normal" mode I've yet to use the petrol engine, it's been purely electric for 20 kms or so.
I guess "charge" mode just turns petrol into electricity and charges the battery. Haven't driven for long enough to drain the battery fully.
Charge mode in traffic is weird though, because you sit perfectly still and the engine still revs itself to charge the battery.
Its a CVT box which sucks though, although the sound deadening is so good it's barely noticable...

Thing is massive though, and a bitch to park on normal euro roads/parking spots.

It's funny how size is relative...here in 'bigger is always better" 'murica, the current Outlander is strictly mid-size at best.

It's funny how size is relative...here in 'bigger is always better" 'murica, the current Outlander is strictly mid-size at best.

Well, you'll find lots of Europeans that disagree with Noodle when it comes to cars and their sizes. He's fine with having a C1 as a family car. I wouldn't ever consider anything smaller than my current car for moving my own ass and my belongings around. If I had a family, forget it. :lol:

Mitsubishi is pretty much dead in this market save for the occasional pickup truck, but I've seen one or two of the new Outlanders. I wouldn't call it massive. Far from it.

Those are just about the only Mitsubishi I see around, many on Norwegian plates.

Well, you'll find lots of Europeans that disagree with Noodle when it comes to cars and their sizes. He's fine with having a C1 as a family car. I wouldn't ever consider anything smaller than my current car for moving my own ass and my belongings around. If I had a family, forget it. :lol:

Mitsubishi is pretty much dead in this market save for the occasional pickup truck, but I've seen one or two of the new Outlanders. I wouldn't call it massive. Far from it.

While I am maybe not the most default Euro around (or human, in fact) I dont have an issue with big cars. I drive the C1 because it's cheap and gets me to work and back. I have my wife's Picasso for when I need space or need to move 5 people more comfortable over greater distances. So yes, I do occasionally use the C1 as a family car, but if it were my *only* car I couldn't live with it (too much compromise).

What does piss me off immensely is people buying a uselessly large car because they can. There's people who own Outlander sized cars because of the towing capacity (which they use maybe once every 2 years to transport a bunch of trees and shit). In general, people tend to buy what they want/what will impress other people, and not what they actually need.

Also, I live in a tiny village and the Outlander is as wide as most roads. People coming the other way are getting annoyed at me. Also crowded carpark where everyone just ignores the lines and parks wherever is a nightmare in this thing (electric folded mirrors FTW).

There's other stuff I don't like, too, full review coming in a couple of days

What does piss me off immensely is people buying a uselessly large car because they can.
[...]
In general, people tend to buy what they want/what will impress other people, and not what they actually need.

:blink:

You do realize it isn't 1965 anymore, and we're not in Soviet Russia. Right?

What does piss me off immensely is people buying a uselessly large car because they can. There's people who own Outlander sized cars because of the towing capacity (which they use maybe once every 2 years to transport a bunch of trees and shit). In general, people tend to buy what they want/what will impress other people, and not what they actually need.
Heaven forbid people buy what they want!

I knew I forgot to do something! I forgot to type up a review of the Ford EcoBoost Drive that Leadfoot and I went to on Saturday.

So, for one day Ford came out to the local large racetrack and set up a bunch of small courses on the 6 acre "Vehicle Dynamic Area" for a variety of cars and then let the unwashed masses members of the general public drive them, usually without a rep in the car. The courses were small and typically consisted of a small "drag strip" followed by some turns and ending with a slalom. Not very impressive, though we later found out it's because our race course doesn't have the space to set up the larger courses they normally put on.

Anyways, first up was the Mustang.

hzL8fL0bjQ5NhVcfWgpV-4fSnGGSAJLXkHRF4CvsBxY=w1088-h615-no

wuUSqFhQl2N95q3vf1bTrI16LxwlbvWgEK_eP7vqAoM=w1088-h615-no

6igG1VGbSKsXCcB7mi34BTJLohBxHgS6UfU94aEHTDY=w1088-h615-no

They had both manuals and automatics, fastbacks and convertibles. Didn't get a choice of roof, just transmission. So Leadfoot got a yellow fastback and I got a red convertible (both manuals, of course).

The course was a straight drag strip that could be done in first, then a right-left-right that turned you around 180 degrees for a 3-turn slalom before the finish.

Getting into the car, you drop down loooow. The seat that catches you is very comfy, though, and just the right amount of snug in all the right places. Visibility outward is actually rather good in all directions, even backwards, which was a nice surprise since I was expecting Camaro levels of pillbox. The roof was right on top of my head but I still had space to not feel cramped in. Controls were well placed, and the short-throw shifter positioned right under where my hand naturally fell.

A somewhat light clutch greets the left foot, but engagement was smooth and predictable once I figured out the throttle response. (Muscle memory from the Dart means I almost stalled the first time I wanted to go.) Getting going, I bogged the launch, but the car recovered nicely and we were on our way with myself getting firmly pressed into the seat. Definitely more go than a run of the mill econobox, but not so much as to be scary; that's probably left to the V8. Turns were handled with aplomb, and the slalom only upset the car on my second go-around when I had more confidence and thus more speed. Even then, the car gave plenty of signs that it was time to reign it in, and at no point did I lose control. Brakes had bite and brought the car to a stop quickly.

That's about all I gathered in the short drive, though I should mention one glitch: when I went to put it in first for the launch, I almost managed to put it in reverse without touching the lockout. The rearview camera activated and wouldn't clear until I started moving forward with some speed. Confused both myself and the marshall.

Up next: the STs.

cxpjeOJswNTJ7ppIkLS-pBsAWV4283-xk7cvq6Nkvsk=w1088-h615-no

43DK1Aghul-5-nfXaisQs7ACUAEYOklYqOikGMXlFBQ=w1088-h615-no

The course was simpler than the Mustang's: two cars would "drag race" each other, then take turns to complete the course (turning around and a slalom to get back to staging). I say "drag race" because the time down the strip didn't matter, it was a reaction time challenge. They had both FiSTs and FoSTs, though which car you got depended on which one pulled up. I got a Tangerine Scream FoST and Leadfoot got a Molten Orange FiST.

The FoST is just a fancy Focus, so it felt a lot like Leadfoot's until it was time to go fast. Acceleration was smile-inducing, and braking equally quick. The slalom was no challenge, and unlike the Mustang I actually bothered to shift to 2nd. The throw was more like the boat's oar in my Dart than the short one in the Mustang, but it wasn't vague and I could tell the gear without looking at it. Also similar in that regard was the flat-bottom steering wheel. My first experience with one and I like it. Kind of want one as a toy.

After that was the EcoBoost Drive:

ZjT2D8hSL-latx-7A1lNfwp1vPtuSOt5HkZlLd0EP_Y=w1088-h615-no

They had a Fusion, Edge, Focus, Transit Connect, and I believe an Escape? available to drive. I did the Transit and Leadfoot did the Fusion on my recommendation (since it had the same 2.0L EcoBoost my rental in Illinois did). As for the Transit, the good first: It is easier to control than other minivans due to its smaller form. It drives nicely and even with an engine only making less than 200hp, it goes just fine. It has a large amount of glass (and the optional fixed moonroof) that makes the interior very airy and pleasant. It is much cheaper than other minivans of comparable equipment. And the roof is stupidly tall; Abe Lincoln could wear his top hat in it and still have headroom. As for the cons? Getting in the third row is an acrobatic exercise. The seat folding is a little more complex than other vans. It would probably struggle when fully loaded. The high roof means the rearview mirror is a reach away, and it is easy to lose things to the front of the dash. And it is cheaper because it lacks the options/standard features of other minivans (no roof-mounted DVD to distract chitlins, no mass of cubby spaces, more restricted cargo options since the seats don't fold into the floor). Basically, you're trading off options and road tripability for price and ease of use in the city. At the end of the day, it is glaringly obvious the Transconnect is a cargo van first and a minivan second, but that doesn't mean it's bad compared to other minivans. It just depends on what you want.

Penultimately, the Challenge:

cgnZqWfDkvrobRanzk68V4etEHB4G7aXnnhv-xw4kgM=w1088-h615-no

This is where they had an Edge, Escape, and F-150 along with sales rivals Highlander, CR-V, and Silverado to compare. I was a stubborn ass and insisted on waiting through the longest line for the F-150, whereas Leadfoot was an opportunist and drove the Edge, Escape, and CR-V.

The F-150 is comfortable, I'll give it that. After some outings, I'm even getting used to the size of these trucks. This particular one was fitted with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine and basically every option they could stick on a 4x2, including the large moonroof (which I consider a must, it's so nice). Acceleration was strong without being overwhelming (other people did squeal the tires, repeatedly), brakes were up to the task and felt almost as strong as the Mustang's. Since only one lap was available this time, I attacked the turns with gusto and promptly understeered almost into the cones. Tire squeal and Lusitania levels of body roll told me I fucked up, I reigned it in, and continued with just a bit less gusto through the rough road simulation (bumps absorbed with only minor transmission into me, definitely a lot less than an econobox) and the slalom where the truck felt like a pendulum. But overall quite ok.

The last event (which I don't have a picture of) is Shiftphobia, where they teach you stick on a 1.0L Focus hatchback. Since Dan and I already know stick, we just took two laps to feel out the tiny engine. Consensus is that it is not peppy, but definitely adequate. Leadfoot may investigate further next weekend when he plans to take his Focus to the dealer for new tires.

Reactions: lip
Heaven forbid people buy what they want!
People can buy whatever the hell they want, i don't care either way. My point is people don't usually seem to buy their ideal car for what they use it. A lot of expectant women seem to think that their only choice of cars are huge 7 seater mpv's or suvs. Because kids. I just don't get that, I'd rather spend money on food, clothes, toys, etc, rather than fuel for carrying around 5 empty seats :dunno:

You drive a C1 because you're rational. But being rational while choosing your four wheels isn't the norm:

Buying/leasing/renting stuff that makes you look just a bit richer than you actually are is simply normal. - A silly big fat oversized SUV does that.

Leasing/renting cars is basically my job, so I get that a lot. Biggest difference there is it's either temporary (renting) or you're not paying the bill, but your employer is (leasing).
Paying your own money for a car clearly not suited to your needs is just plain wrong in my book...I've had guys spend up to 4k? of their own money to get a massive XC60 with all the toys instead of the perfectly good V60 their employer meant for them to have.... does not compute...

But then again I am weird

You drive a C1 because you're rational. But being rational while choosing your four wheels isn't the norm:

Buying/leasing/renting stuff that makes you look just a bit richer than you actually are is simply normal. - A silly big fat oversized SUV does that.

A V8 Audi or a straight six BMW do the trick too, I've found. :p

People can buy whatever the hell they want, i don't care either way. My point is people don't usually seem to buy their ideal car for what they use it. A lot of expectant women seem to think that their only choice of cars are huge 7 seater mpv's or suvs. Because kids. I just don't get that, I'd rather spend money on food, clothes, toys, etc, rather than fuel for carrying around 5 empty seats :dunno:
Oh, man. Now I really can't wait to swap the Bimmer for the Challenger! :evil:

Leasing/renting cars is basically my job, so I get that a lot. Biggest difference there is it's either temporary (renting) or you're not paying the bill, but your employer is (leasing).
Paying your own money for a car clearly not suited to your needs is just plain wrong in my book...I've had guys spend up to 4k? of their own money to get a massive XC60 with all the toys instead of the perfectly good V60 their employer meant for them to have.... does not compute...

But then again I am weird

Thing is, an XC60 isn't massive.

It is pointlessly large if you're just pootling around town solo in it (well in my view anyways).

Would you pay 4k? of your own money to ride around in someone else's car for 4 years and then have it taken away from you? Guy's excuse was "well I'm quite tall and wouldn't fit a V60' which is of course rubbish...

You must really hate me then....

It is pointlessly large if you're just pootling around town solo in it (well in my view anyways).

In your view, maybe. :p In my view, it isn't really any larger than what I'm driving, and that's most certainly not a "massive" car. An XC60 is of course taller, but since when is vertical space at a premium?

Is the XC60 even any larger inside than a V60, though? Neither is very big.