Our "own" car reviews

Yeah. Really that's only feasible where I was in Utah and Idaho. :)

I has a Mazda MX5 for today. It is ridiculously tail happy in the rain which is good. The TC lets you have 30 ish degrees of freedom before it quite abruptly puts you back in line

Will report back with more

I has a Mazda MX5 for today. It is ridiculously tail happy in the rain which is good. The TC lets you have 30 ish degrees of freedom before it quite abruptly puts you back in line

Will report back with more

Which one?
Since you mentioned traction control, I figure it must be at least an NB?

It's the latest one with the correct engine (1,5).
It looks and drives gloriously

Why is the 1.5 more correct than the 2.0? :lol:

Because in a MX5 you don't need many horsepower to have fun. Any poke of the throttle provokes instant controllable oversteer.

Also, cheaper.

Because in a MX5 you don't need many horsepower to have fun. Any poke of the throttle provokes instant controllable oversteer.

Also, cheaper.

You sound like old Clarkson when he had that Jag convertible. :)

Savage.

Bridgestone Potenza S001 summer tyres, or something different?

Tis true, 131 is the exact amount of hp you need in this kind of car. Lets you have fun without exceeding the speed limit. There were many times I looked at the speedo and was surprised just how slow I was going. Which is good!

Also, I need this car in my life despite it being ridiculously impractical...

Any speed in an MX-5 feels much faster than it actually is, because of how close you are to the road and how loud the thing is inside :) In the heavier NC though, I'm quite happy with the 160hp 2.0. As for impracticality... well, as long as you never need to transport stuff or can source another vehicle in some way, it's perfectly fine as I've found out :D

Bridgestone Potenza S001 summer tyres, or something different?

Are those any good? I'll need to get new ones next season, little early to start researching now, but can't hurt to write down a few recommended candidates.

There were many times I looked at the speedo and was surprised just how slow I was going. Which is good!

No, it?s bad. Fast is good.

If I hear this again, I will personally kick you off this forum. :D

Oh I agree, fast is good. I just meant that the whole ?better back off here, don?t want a speeding ticket? feeling is completely unnecessary, because you?re only doing 5 or 10 over the limit when it feels like 30 over the limit.

This means you can flog this car and have a lot of fun without risking jail time. ...which is good.

I understand you wanting more power on Autobahn stretches, but going in a straight line is boring anyways .

Car needs to go back to Mazda today already.I has a sad

Europcar again made me an offer I can't refuse :cool: under 18?/day to revisit the burping fartmachine, though out of a lineup of interesting colour schemes they gave me the boring white one :mad:

Not mine:

Mine :yawn:

Previous one:

Different tunnel, same :music:

Thoughts on the car are unchanged - fun in the mountains, useless as a daily. Hella cheap though - 0.182?/km :eek: slightly less thirsty at 7.64l/100km.

The roads are still epic, you can do some grand touring down there - if you haven't been, go.

Can you spot all the road sections?

How about now?

The car held up reasonably well despite picking it up with "perform 15k service in 7km" - after about a thousand or so kilometres it stopped nagging :dunno: only threw a "check transmission" once... checked it, transmission was still there.

:wave:

Forgot to post about the MX5 on here.
I can be quite brief, as many of you already know, it is one of the best handling cars there is.

That it was SO chuckable was a nice surprise. With TC on it allows you about 30degrees of drift before putting you back in line. The real fun is with TC off though, it is supreme good fun.

Also, it's deceptively slow. Because you are open topped and so low to the ground it feels like you're going so much quicker than you actually are

Ergonomically, not much to say, everything was quite perfect, lovely short gear stick, easy to use satnav, and no weird or difficult menus. Boot was small of course, but quite deep and wide meaning you can cram stuff in corners. Loved the manual roof mechanism, quicker and lighter than full electric.

Verdict 11/10

Picdump :

0874bd571df7a91fa26f1a22dbec1e3a.jpg
9fe285a6287273f3999ff598f5b7a1bd.jpg
85d60d7c8c187c6490b5cf33123d127b.jpg
2ca79026bffa7f4206efd0423fbc766f.jpg
58d141cd88bd6eb069032daceb85d1f9.jpg
8f2f1b073240a0f0f4b091b6609b44f8.jpg
601cf2ca0b561f4ce87827809ea034a1.jpg
977883098ab0c72dc7c69bedfe5ad068.jpg
a2ef9c75484e1612836b5ce5e54bef66.jpg