Our "own" car reviews

you don't need the gearknob so who cares? :lol:

:yawn:

It's a barely run-in W246 B180, the same power and torque as my Octavia from 0.2l more, with added weight-related slowness :(

Somehow Merc managed to fit it with a lovely large screen and a button that says "Navigation", but there's no navigation in it :shakefist:
It may have radar-guided cruise control, didn't engage it on the way home from the rental place due to only being city streets... it does shine a red idiot light at you if it thinks you are too close to the car in front, so I'm optimistic. Will test that on Monday - this is for purely work-related driving, so no shenanigans on the weekend :|
There's the usual mid-level trim with buttwarmers, steering wheel buttons, start-stop, blah blah blah :yawn:

An oval country sticker on a brand new car? I thought those died out when the EU license plates appeared.

Small and awkward gear knob for a small and awkward car.

:yawn:

It's a barely run-in W246 B180, the same power and torque as my Octavia from 0.2l more, with added weight-related slowness :(

Somehow Merc managed to fit it with a lovely large screen and a button that says "Navigation", but there's no navigation in it :shakefist:
It may have radar-guided cruise control, didn't engage it on the way home from the rental place due to only being city streets... it does shine a red idiot light at you if it thinks you are too close to the car in front, so I'm optimistic. Will test that on Monday - this is for purely work-related driving, so no shenanigans on the weekend :|
There's the usual mid-level trim with buttwarmers, steering wheel buttons, start-stop, blah blah blah :yawn:

I know it's meh but the wackiness of seeing a Mercedes logo on a 5 door hatch that looks as pedestrian and practical as possible is appealing.

I know it's meh but the wackiness of seeing a Mercedes logo on a 5 door hatch that looks as pedestrian and practical as possible is appealing.

Yeah... but then the logo means you get much less car for your money compared to, say, a similarly powered and equipped Superb - pretty much same price indeed.
Europcar seems to agree, considering that a Superb would be a decent chunk more expensive to rent.

Also, my hopes about the radar-guided cruise control were rubbish... How's that supposed to work in a manual anyway :dunno:

Also, my hopes about the radar-guided cruise control were rubbish... How's that supposed to work in a manual anyway :dunno:

Well, like normal cruise control I guess?

I don't have radar, but I can hit resume from 30km/h (or whenever the cruise starts working) and have it accelerate me up through the gears. Someone with a manual transmission obviously has to gather enough speed manually first, to get into the right gear, and then enable cruise.

Many years ago, I drove a Mercedes Vito 115CDI, manual. You could actually change gears without having the cruise control disengage on you, but it wasn't what you'd call elegant. The cruise control let go of the throttle when you pressed the clutch, but it was slow at getting back on it. Each gearchange was followed by a split second of engine braking before it started accelerating again. Still, I guess it could be useful when you're towing something heavy and have to change down for a hill.

I think the Vito is the only stick shift car I've driven that has had cruise control.

Well, like normal cruise control I guess?

I don't have radar, but I can hit resume from 30km/h (or whenever the cruise starts working) and have it accelerate me up through the gears. Someone with a manual transmission obviously has to gather enough speed manually first, to get into the right gear, and then enable cruise.

Many years ago, I drove a Mercedes Vito 115CDI, manual. You could actually change gears without having the cruise control disengage on you, but it wasn't what you'd call elegant. The cruise control let go of the throttle when you pressed the clutch, but it was slow at getting back on it. Each gearchange was followed by a split second of engine braking before it started accelerating again. Still, I guess it could be useful when you're towing something heavy and have to change down for a hill.

I think the Vito is the only stick shift car I've driven that has had cruise control.

Cruise control in and of itself works well with manual cars, all three in my signature have it and are manuals. They'll maintain the speed you set, and will happily run into the car in front of you.

I was talking about the radar-guided part, adjusting speed depending on the car in front, without running into it - and especially stopping and starting in heavy traffic. That's not feasible with a manual.

Aren't there different kinds of radar guided cruise? I thought the kind that works in bumper to bumper traffic came a few years after "normal" radar guided cruise appeared.
I don't see how radar guided cruise wouldn't work on a manual, as long as traffic is flowing... but obviously you have to intervene and change gear if the speed drops too much.

Some minor complaints after playing with the B's stereo/media/etc system...

What was MB thinking when they labelled the button you need to press in order to get to Bluetooth Audio "DISC"? :dunno:
Adjusting the driver's side mirror, I have it as far left/outside as it will go. What happens if someone taller than me drives the car with the seat further back? No mirrors for you? :dunno:
The left-hand stalk feels overloaded with indicators, high-beams, front wipers, rear wipers, front washers, rear washers... at least that's how it seems without using them in anger, maybe it'll work really well when driving? :dunno:
The C button next to the centre console knob does nothing :dunno: The knob is lovely though.

Ford Fiesta 2013 (facelift) 1.2 NA engine w/ 82 HP

Getting back into the carbuying game and today I've sat in a bunch of "superminis" and tested two. I didnt spend much more than half an hour on the road with each, so this is sort of a "first drive" more than a review.

Anyway, I was trying to find Toyota Center in Gothenburg, a place I have seen many times and thought I knew where it was. But somehow I got lost, and ended up at Ford instead. Asked if I could drive a Fiesta. They asked if I had a license. I said yes. Then they gave me a flipkey and said "have fun". Why this matters will make more sense later on.

So, first up new (facelifted) Fiesta w/ Aston grille. I did bring my camera but the battery was dead, so here's a image I've stolen from the internet that your eyes will notice when you scroll down this wall of text. I'm sure you all know how it looks like inside already, nothing major changed from the old version without Aston-grille.

2013-ford-fiesta-front.jpg

First impression:

Finding a good driving position is pretty easy, altough the seat lacks tilt adjustment. It only adjusts up and down, forwards and backwards. This is a little bit disappointing, tilt can't cost much for Ford. But it is an affordable car, so I'll let it slide. Steering wheel has reach and rake of course, anything else would be a dealbreaker. Reclination is adjusted by a wheel, as one expects, and it works well.

So I'm all set up and driving out of the gate from the parking lot. Suddenly I need to stop. My butt is warm. Obviously seatwarmer is on from previous testrun. It takes me a minute to find it, but the buttwarmer button is mounted low on the seat base, a popout-switch. Only one setting. Anyway, if you know where it is there's no need for alarm, but it's obviously a bit of an afterthought in design. Fair heat though!

Now with the buttheat off I'm ready to set off on the road and the first thing that strikes me is the clutch is very light and so is the steering. My diesel Astra obviously has more clutch resistance and a bit more weighted feel to the wheel, however the Fiesta does not dissapoint in the driving dynamics. It's steering may be lighter than I'm used to, but it's responsive and inspires confidence. The clutch is also good after some getting used to, travel is just right ("lagom") and the gear shifts are nice, even if the gearstick is a bit longer and thinner than I'm used to.

It drives well, comfortable suspension and only a little roll in the corners. The little engine is surprisingly peppy, you need to give it revs but it happily does so and doesnt sound too loud or too stressed while accelerating. Only five gears but good spacing. Nice indicator sound.

The steering wheel is nice to grip, the mirrors are big and easy to adjust on the move. It starts to rain, wipers work well, altough I (as always in Fords) clean the rear glass by accident before remembering it's Ford and wipers are therefore backwards. Stereo (don't remember which version, but not the Sony one) is okay for me, but not if you're an audiofile. Fair amount of cubbys, even has *gasp* cupholders (the Astra doesnt).

Happily surprised to see that Ford have bumped their warranty to 5 years / 100000 km. Thus Fiesta is still on my shortlist, sales rep wants me to wait and test the new 1.0 liter three cylinder ecoboost before deciding anything though. I quite like going back to an NA engine however, one less thing that can break.

What happens next should be read in TG introduction voice: I go to Renault, I sit in a Clio, an elderly woman is pushed over by a rotating door and faceplants into the pavement outside Renault causing blood to be everywhere, and Renault serves me free hotdogs and orange juice. The Clio test drive will have to wait for next weekend.

Toyota Yarus 2013 1.33 NA engine w/ 99 HP

toyota_yaris_test_01_1.jpg

I finally rediscover where Toyota Center is and go ask to drive a Yaris. They ask me for my license and then wants to register me in the computer. Five minutes pass and the computer says no. They say the computer is a piece of shit, scan my license, write notes, and go fetch a key from 1985. I ask "is this the spare key? Do I get a flipkey as well if I buy one?". They say no. Thats the key.

319580771_684.JPG

It's HUGE! Not possible to wear in pants, no way Jos?. Anyway, I get in the Yaris. I note the steering wheel is farily nice to grip, but sort of slippery. Reach and rake adjustment, same seat adjustment as the Fiesta with one critical difference, more on that later. I start it up, push the clutch and find very little travel. OK I think, gently does it and drive off. It's very jerky, my feet does not get along with the pedals at all. Steering quite light, as the Fiesta, but less connected to the road, more vaugue. I struggle more with the gearbox, can't get it into third until after a retry and is surprised that the bigger and much powerful engine doesnt feel more powerful. It just makes more noise. Quite alot of it too. It has a sixth gear but it's more noisy then the 5-speed Fiesta at same speed.

When I'm driving along I need to adjust the seat recliner. I fumble after a wheel, but there's no wheel, but the dreaded lever. I pull and the seat disappears backwards, I have to hold on to the wheel, quite unpleasant. I then pull it again and it smacks back, also unpleasant. Toyota, your lever is s-t-u-p-i-d. Awful even.

The ride isn't good either. Its just like Carbuyer Mat Watson says in his review, it's fidgety. It manages to find all the bumps in the road and make you jiggle around. One might think this was the result of hard suspension, but it rolls incredibly in the corners. Far away from the Fiestas ride comfort. The interior is deprived of storage (except down by the handbrake), and mostly all of the interior is made of hard plastics, with the exception of a white insert that's a little soft.

Seatbelt mount in the B-pillar is also unadjustable, which is annoying. Generally, I was disappointed with the Yaris. I expected much more of it, and it's price tag is a hefty premium over the Fiesta, with only 3 years warranty and worse financing. Need I say I was the only non-geriatric-under-30 year old at the dealership?

Now, what both these cars do is make me appreciate my Astra more. The Fiesta is better and still on my shortlist but both remind me that the Golf-class (C-segment) is generally a step up from the B-segment, not just in size but in the amount of thought that has gone into the design process. The Yaris can't hold a candle to my 7-year old Astra in terms of creature comfort, ride quality or performance which is a bit sad really. Yes, it's unfair to a diesel turbo to an NA petrol, but I guess I've become a bit spoiled.

Next weekend I'm going to try and get a drive in a Polo, and I hope that will answer my prayers for a smaller car with C-segment attention to detail and ride comfort.

Last edited:
^ not true, it's a Merc, therefore you ignore the turnsignals completely. People will move out of the way because you have a Merc and they don't