No announcement yet.

Our "own" car reviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Good review. Of the two I'd likely go for the Flex: The Explorer's a bit tighter inside as far as 3rd row legroom goes.

Actually if I were buying, I'd skip both and go with a CPO Freestyle/Taurus X. Same platform as the Explorer and Flex but more practical and roomy for less money.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

Yeah but, doesn't the CVT have problems?
      1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
      2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
      1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
      2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
      2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
        Yeah but, doesn't the CVT have problems?
        Some love it and report no issues, others say otherwise. The Taurus X uses the GM/Ford 6-speed so no worries there..only downside is a small drop in fuel economy.
        "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

courtesy wipe? well i have it in my 2001 focus too..

Comment

The turn signal noise is also strange. It sounds too "digital." Does that make sense?
            I know exactly how you feel. A relay click is just not replaceable by some bing or dong.
            Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
            (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

I don't mind a digital blip blop blip blop or tik tok tik tok.

What I do mind is the "bip bip bip bip" in cheap Renaults and Dacias. Not a blip, just a bip. Like the letter L was too expensive.

The turn signal in my Skoda (and probably most other VAG products of the era) is a bit too quiet, imo. Either that, or it just doesn't sync with my ears. My brain filters it out after being exposed to it for a little while.
              Last edited by Perc; October 4th, 2013, 2:12 PM.
              2014 Opel Insignia Country Tourer Biturbo CDTI 4x4
              For once I don't have the same car as everyone else.

Comment

Then don't ever drive an MB B. It's much quieter than ours
                Octavia
                Fabia
                Beetle

Comment

It's not really "quiet" per se, it's just that my brain filters it out. I can hear it just fine when I flick it on but I've had to look down at the gauge cluster numerous times to check if it still is on. It's strange. Does any of this sound familiar to you narf?
                  2014 Opel Insignia Country Tourer Biturbo CDTI 4x4
                  For once I don't have the same car as everyone else.

Comment

No
                    Octavia
                    Fabia
                    Beetle

Comment

2013 Ford Explorer w/ 2,000 miles

The best part? It doesn't lock out your phone like some car stereos do forcing you to navigate through the stereo. If you feel navigating your phone is faster, it works.

The dash can show to the right of the speedo GPS, radio info, or your phone stuff.

The one thing that would bug me is the new tone Ford uses for warning. Like when you start the car, or you leave your headlights on and you open the car door when the car is shutoff. It's so weird and irritating. I want a standard bong. The turn signal noise is also strange. It sounds too "digital." Does that make sense?
                      good review, even i have nothing to compare it against.
                      I dont quite understand why you would use your phone to browse for a file though.... a big plus for me is that yu can just leave your phone in your coat/backpack in the boot and access anything and everything (call info, texts, music) from the head unit... speed of browsing depends on the phone, not the hu or the connection

On warning bongs and bleeps : the only 3 reasons when a car is allowed to bong at me are these :

- you're going hit that car/house/tree/child (ie parking sensors)
                      - you've forgotten to turn off the lights you fool! now my battery will be drained
                      - you've left the key in the ignition! someone will steal me!

all else is superfluous (stuff like 'door is a jar'.... no its not, its a door! and its open because i want to get out)

Comment

Sorry, outside picture would be good, wouldn't it?

Best color for it. White would be good if you want to imitate people. The state police and some local towns have them.
                        1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                        2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                        1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                        2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                        2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

White would be good if you want to imitate people. The state police and some local towns have them.
                          I presume you mean intimidate?
                          Voehan rähmä!

Se on nyt nimittäin sillä lailla että...

My gallery: http://raparperi.1g.fi/kuvat/
                          The awesome sig was made by public!

Comment

Imitate state police to intimidate drivers?
                            Octavia
                            Fabia
                            Beetle

Comment

Maybe you can even leave a tissue box on the dash, right where the light cluster would sit.
                              2008 Honda Civic VTi [FD1]
                              1993 Toyota MR2 G-Limited [SW20]
                              1996 Honda CB250F Hornet [MC31]
                              1993 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R [RNN14]
                              2012 Honda Accord Euro [CU2]
                              2007 Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 JTS Q4 [Typo 939]
                              2003 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA [Typo 937]

Comment

Last edited by Adunaphel; October 10th, 2013, 7:37 PM.
                                1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                                1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                                2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                                2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                                2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                                2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                                Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

The keycard is SO BIG. Why do they insisst on it, it wont fit your pockets, and keyless card is an option (!).
                                  It is a nice little hatch, a good all-rounder, but if you like power and corners you should try the Fiesta with the Ecoboost. The 100PS 1.0 is just so good!
                                  I really don't understand why Renault covered the nice steering wheel with plastic either, gets slippery.
                                  Last edited by AiR; October 10th, 2013, 7:45 PM.

Comment

How spacious is the Fiesta's rear seat? I need to be able to comfortably stash two kiddies plus accesories in there, and the Fiesta's rear doesn't look that big from the outside.

Comment

It's smaller than the Clio's for sure. But the size difference is most notable in the boot. It'll be a dark cave for kids in both. Here are the dims. Yellow: length/height. Red: Width/depth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fiesta.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	3429792

And a hard to read comparison
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-Renault-Clio-RS-14-dimensions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	3429793

Also before anyone says something my handling comparison does not apply to an RS

Own car review: Today I picked up my Astra again with a now functioning ABS-ESP-system after a week and a half with the i30 rental. Turning the wheel for the first time it felt like I was piloting an oil tanker and the "different" clutch and pedal resistance took me by surprise and I literally went "woooo" up towards the first T-intersection as I applied the brakes and nothing happened for what felt like a very long time. I was quickly reminded you need to push the pedals alot more to make them do anything in the Astra.
                                      Heavyness aside, the Astra steering feedback is better than the "over-assisted" i30, which feels quite numb.
                                      Last edited by AiR; October 10th, 2013, 8:53 PM.

Comment

Rear legroom is 4cm bigger in the Renault compared to the Fiesta. That's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by AiR View Post
                                          But the size difference is most notable in the boot. It'll be a dark cave for kids in both.
                                          Most boots are.
                                          "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                                          -Redliner, ironically

Comment

Working...
                                          X