• Show
Clear All

What then? Drivetrain losses?

Final Gear around the world care package
    discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Originally posted by IceBone View Post
      What then? Drivetrain losses?
      In case of my B-Class vs my Octavia, weight and height. In case of the CLA vs the A3 sedan, just weight - the Merc is 105kg heavier than the Audi.
      Octavia
      Fabia
      Beetle

Comment

Poolcar roulette yet again, and this time I ended up with a BMW 316d saloon.
        Not much time with it sadly, most time was spent driving it, and thus, blurry cellphone pictures.

Interior

Sadly, someone thought it was a good idea to add a cream faux leather interior to an already too brown car. It was ghastly.
        Clean though, but I would have preferred cloth over this Sensatec nonsense. Very big difference between this plasticy stuff and real leather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140516_074812.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	3431496Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140516_074726.jpg
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	3431495

GPS worked fine, only took me a while to figure out that the white line is the one to follow, usually it's a much brighter colour, and the white is the road you don't need to follow. Also you can have a splitscreen with song/track info and even album art. Which is useless, but cool.
        As you can see there is an old style radio below the screen, with big buttons for (I guess) old people who hate controls on the steering wheel.
        The iDrive knob is unfathomable as always, but after hours in traffic I did get used to it. Still prefer the steering wheel controls as they feel more natural. One knob which you can click, screw, turn,jog left or right... it's just too fiddly.

Name:	IMG_20140516_074722.jpg
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	3431494

You get a tiny screen in the instrument cluster which you can change to different things like the song info, or even a detail of the satnav instructions like here. Very useful.

Name:	IMG_20140516_074952.jpg
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	3431497

These dials were the driving modes, aside from the normal "comfort" mode there was one "Sport mode" whith hilarious Hp and Nm of torque figures. Since this is the least powerful engine there is, and they don't adapt the scale from the most powerful ones, the most you could get at any time was half the scale...Sport mode did nothing but improve throttle response just a tad, so I quickly changed to ECO PRO

Name:	IMG_20140516_075831.jpg
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	3431498
        This is the super eco mode that saves you tons of fuel by turning off the engine every chance it gets (even before you're even at a standstill) and tells you when it's charging the battery when you're coasting and stuff. All interesting for about 5 minutes, after which you want aircon back, and it switches itself off automatically. Unless you're in a hybrid or full electric car, these stats are just for hypermilers or pennypinchers...

Driving/Handling

Despite my fears and previous experiences the ride was not bone jarringly hard, BMW have learned that people's spine's aren't made from inobtanium.... despite biggish wheels and runflats, there was never an issue. Engine was much too weak (the same engine with 136 hp should really be the entrance level), but since it's RWD and you can turn traction control completely off, you can still have some fun

Never once did I feel the car get really loose though.

Engine

It moved the car and consumed not a lot of fuel. That's all I got to say really. Far from "the ultimate driving machine".

Overall

I really liked the car, but it could have been so much better with a few minor details changed. Nonetheless it receives a healthy 7/10 from me.
        Last edited by NooDle; May 21st, 2014, 7:19 PM.

Comment

Do I spot radar-guided cruise control in the instrument cluster? :squint:
          Octavia
          Fabia
          Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by AiR View Post
            ^ Mercedes is fun with their naming conventions. 122 horses? Lets round it up to 180! 122 for a 1.6 turbo is low, but I assume it's detuned and offered with more boost if you pay more monies?
            I always thought the number on the back was relevant to the engine size, not the power. But now they're just being daft.
            The 1.6 is called the 180, and the 2.2 engine can be anything from 180-200-220-250...

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
              Do I spot radar-guided cruise control in the instrument cluster? :squint:
              That could just be a "blank" that just happens to light up if a car has that feature.
              "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

Originally posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
                That could just be a "blank" that just happens to light up if a car has that feature.
                yup, it didn't have that feature, nor the 'theres someone in your blind spot" sensor
                Regular CC worked a charm though, even allowing me to shift and then resume accelerating (never had known that was a thing nowadays)

Comment

Manual, I presume?
                  The 316d would probably feel a bit punchier with the many-speed auto.

Still, I'd go for less equipment, more 320d.

Comment

Originally posted by McRae View Post
                    Manual, I presume?
                    The 316d would probably feel a bit punchier with the many-speed auto.

Still, I'd go for less equipment, more 320d.

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                      In case of my B-Class vs my Octavia, weight and height. In case of the CLA vs the A3 sedan, just weight - the Merc is 105kg heavier than the Audi.
                      No way on earth can 105kg make this much difference with the CLA and A3. It must be massively different gearboxes/drivetrains. Its a strange phenomena but certainly goes to show how power/torque aren't everything. If you ever get the chance to testdrive both - do it. NB the Golf 7 with the same 1.4 122ps engine feels very similar to the A3 if that's all thats available (yeah I like working at a car company where there is a lot of 'whatever you can fine' lying about the carpark whenever you need transport). Example; I wanted to borrow the A3 this weekend but someone else has it. Instead I've got the LHD 2013 Octavia again
                      ^My Flickr Page^_______________________________^My Blipfoto 'Photo Every Day' Page^

Comment

Don't forget software. It controls eveything, including throttle response.
                        1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                        1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                        2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                        2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                        2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                        2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                        Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Davetouch View Post
                            No way on earth can 105kg make this much difference with the CLA and A3. It must be massively different gearboxes/drivetrains. Its a strange phenomena but certainly goes to show how power/torque aren't everything. If you ever get the chance to testdrive both - do it. NB the Golf 7 with the same 1.4 122ps engine feels very similar to the A3 if that's all thats available (yeah I like working at a car company where there is a lot of 'whatever you can fine' lying about the carpark whenever you need transport). Example; I wanted to borrow the A3 this weekend but someone else has it. Instead I've got the LHD 2013 Octavia again
                            That difference is almost 10%, which should be noticeable. As for the Golf 7, that's about as heavy as the A3... same engine, same weight, same feel?
                            Octavia
                            Fabia
                            Beetle

Comment

I was mistaken, thats the registration tax. road tax is omething like 300 for the 316 and around Veyron money for the 320d

Comment

Originally posted by NooDle View Post
                                I always thought the number on the back was relevant to the engine size, not the power. But now they're just being daft.
                                The 1.6 is called the 180, and the 2.2 engine can be anything from 180-200-220-250...
                                Also, A180 CDI with a manual is a 1.5 liter Renault mill. If you go for the A180 CDI automatic (dual clutch), it's suddenly a 1.8 liter Mercedes unit. Both make exactly 109 hp.

And the number on the back is only relevant to power on the commercial vehicles, and that has been the case for decades and decades. Vito 109 CDI means roughly 1 ton carrying capacity and 90hp. 122 CDI is several orders of magnitude quicker. Actros 4165 means, well, you get the point.
                                2014 Opel Insignia Country Tourer Biturbo CDTI 4x4
                                For once I don't have the same car as everyone else.

Comment

But the most powerful Actros only has 625 hp, not 650. Also pfffft 40 tonne continentals, so tiny

Comment

appears
                                    Last edited by Adunaphel; May 29th, 2014, 1:46 PM. Reason: fix spelling mistakes
                                    1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                                    1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                                    2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                                    2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                                    2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                                    2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                                    Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Sounds like a car that wasn't cutting edge when it came out and 8 years on is very much showing its age. But what's your beef with self cancelling stalks?

Comment

Originally posted by IceBone View Post
                                        Sounds like a car that wasn't cutting edge when it came out and 8 years on is very much showing its age. But what's your beef with self cancelling stalks?
                                        Opel introduced a new model of self-cancelling stalk with the Astra F and it's contemporaries. It has brought fear and hatred to motorists ever since.
                                        Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
                                        (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

I must admit I don't know what those are like, I haven't driven a modern Opel.

Comment

Working...
                                          X