X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NooDle
    started a topic Our "own" car reviews

Our "own" car reviews

Mods, if this is inappropriate or in the wrong section please move it accordingly.

Someone did a review of a new Audi A6 a while back, I thought it would be good if we all had a thread in which we can all rant/rave about cars we drive ourselves.

Doesn't have to be something particularly interesting or fast, I just wanna know how you would rate cars yourself. Only one rule : you can't "review" your own car. Has to be someone elses, rentals, whatever.
    The verdict on any car is, of course, highly subjective

Post away!

• narf
    replied
    Been a while, time to update the holiday rentals

March, a certain Mediterranean island: a diesel Cascada

Fairly decent for an Opel, but still feels cheap and Opelish. Was fast enough to keep up with these in the mountains:

...but then they were filming...

Wouldn't buy, but okay for some cheap sunny cruising.

April, US Pacific Ranges and coastline: a Camaro RS

A good step up from the previous model that I drove in 2014, especially for the gearbox. Makes for a nice drivetrain now, though the Sixt app did claim it'd be an SS while I was taking the historic SF streetcar on my way to pick it up but then I wasn't paying for an SS so that's fine. Makes quite a racket beyond 5k

OR/CA border... California didn't bother to plough, and Oregon stopped at the border

Seeking asylum between Canadians

Would consider if I lived in a place with bigger roads.

May, a certain Mediterranean island: yet another 595

...you know what it looks like, otherwise go back to one of the other 595s I've posted here... wasn't me with the black streaks on the front left wheel arch

quite a dirty car after a week but then it already is pretty dirty from the factory, aurally

Had some friends on the island overlapping who rented bikes, much fun was had showing them around as it was their first time in the Tramuntana mountains

Still the same opinion on the 595 - would never daily, but it's buckets of fun for a week of hooning around.
    Can definitely recommend the bike rental place if anyone's interested in making the trip and lusting for two wheels.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchi
    replied
    The second to third is typical for small engines, petrol and diesel alike, in cars like this. Sadly... probably due to emission regs.

Leave a comment:

• thevictor390
    replied
    Citro-*cough* sorry "DS Automobiles" DS3 with some diesel engine:

It's honestly hard to tell how much I like this car due to a number of external factors. It's my first time out of the country. I have no idea what I am doing driving in Europe. And the jaw-dropping mountain roads of Verdon would make a Corolla entertaining.

But I've now done more practical driving on highways and in the city, and I feel I have a better opinion. The diesel motor isn't bad. it's satisfying to downshift into second and feel a surge of power, and it has no trouble accelerating onto the highway and making high speed passes. Definitely "enough" power in a car I thought would feel underpowered to my American senses. There are still a few quirks that take some getting used to. It sounds awful. Like it has a serious rod knock or something. Not great for windows-down cruising. The car launches very hard when the clutch bites, using the throttle is usually overkill. And I am amazed that itdoes not have a clutch switch on the ignition. You can imagine how I discovered this....

The transmission, however, is only a 5 speed, and this seems to hold the engine back a bit. With the diesels limited rev range it really feels like the gap between gears is too large. I feel like second gear is deliberately low, which feels good on the downshift and while accelerating from a standstill, but shifting into third it is way to easy to kill your momentum. In general the engine has a pretty narrow power band and rewards you for staying in it, which would be way easier with another gear. The throw is also quite long but I am most likely just used to driving a sports car.

The ride is balanced very well, avoids being too stiff while still feeling pretty good in quick s-bends. Steering is far too light for my tastes at low speeds, but it stiffens up nicely on the highway. I wish it could be reconfigured in some way, maybe it can and I can't find it.

Overall I can't fault the car as a rental, I like the way it looks, it's small and easy to maneuver, not boring to drive and has enough power to keep up without trying too hard. A sportier trimline of this is the exact type of thing I would want to own if I lived in Europe. Luckily, I don't, so I can keep enjoying my 20 mpg sports car Speaking of which, fuel economy is on another level. I've driven about 350 km, a lot of which was spirited driving on low speed, curvy roads, and am still over half a tank. Unfortunately there's no readout so I will have to report back on exact numbers after I fill up.

Leave a comment:

• Interrobang
    replied
    Not owning a car at the moment meat I had to rent quite a few cars for a couple of days or a week at the time, these are some brief impressions:

Peugeot 208 PureTech 72 - 72hp, 3cyl french eco box - and I liked it. It was not bad even on the Autobahn. I even ended up liking the strange interior layout and tiny steering wheel at the end. All around positive experience.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V - not as much fun to drive as the Peugeot, but still a nice hatchback overall. Hated the navigation unity though and rear visability wasn't to my liking. Nice seats ...

Nissan Micra K14 1.0 - what a nice car ... untill it broke down 2 days into my week of renting with and unfixable fault in the electronics. Before that I liked it - apart from the navigation unit which was prob the worst I have had recently ...

To replace the broken Micra they gave me a Fiat 500. A downgrade, but it was take this or wait a day for another car. So I got a Fiat 500 Diesel. And I loved it. You can say stockholm syndrome all you want - I liked the 500 for what it is. It was my first time even being in one and I can see why these little things sell like bread. For what they are, they are quite perfect. Little funky town runarounds. Stepping into it after the Micra, it was a lot less comfy in the 500 ... but ok. If I was in the market for a city car, this would be hard to ignore.

Vw Touran - so I had 4 people to transport with luggage for a week and needed something bigger. And what I got was a fully loaded Touran with toys like DSC and ACC. I did not check, but I think it was the 1.4 petrol. The ACC is really something I adored and combined with the DSC Gearbox a real joy to drive on the autobahn with. The car did not miss a beat and I really enjoyed driving it despite being (essentially) a smal van.

Leave a comment:

• narf
    replied
    Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
    Being french, would the brakes have worked?
    They did, at some point I lost the game of chicken with the truck I was quickly closing in on and braked using my own feet

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    The question is, do you really want a French computer controlling your brakes? Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?

Leave a comment:

• 93Flareside
    replied
    Being french, would the brakes have worked?

Leave a comment:

• narf
    replied
    I just had the questionable pleasure to be upgraded to a C4 Grand Picasso by Europcar when all the trains failed in this week's storm... it looked virtually the same as this:

While I could go on about the overall Frenchness, e.g. the tiny column-mounted shifter for the robomanual, one feature rose up from the pile: The adaptive cruise control.

Why?

It apparently won't use the brakes

Say you're doing 130 with the ACC on, approaching a truck doing 85ish in front of you in the same lane, straight clear Autobahn, zero surprises. It'll take its virtual foot off the accelerator, and coast up to the truck... and at some point go "beep beep" asking me to take over.
    Why even have an ACC if it can't do the simplest of ACC tasks?

Leave a comment:

• narf
    replied
    I've driven all VW DSG models, small 7-speed dry, medium 6-speed wet, new medium 7-speed wet, big 7-speed wet... and while the newest obviously was best, all the wet ones were nicer to drive than the small dry one - but that's the lightest and most fuel-efficient, and still reasonable to use. Compared to the *ahem* Insignia 6AT I had two weeks ago they all win

Sixt's upgrade policy remains weird but predictable... ITAR remains unbookable at LPA, but they still upgraded me to it from CTMR Last year:

Originally posted by narf View Post
    This year:

Two off on the license plate, it's from the same batch of cars... at ~25Mm when I picked it up, quite low for a 13-month-old rental car, but I guess reasonable for the island.
    Note how the barrier is gone... but slightly further up the road remains closed for good. Most of the lower section is closed for good as well with the NW part of GC-2 now open to the public.

Epic roads are still epic:

At the highest point of the island:

Not that much new to report, it's still a very good car even with the smallest diesel. Having gotten used to the lightning quick roof on the Beetle the 2's mechanism is still quite a faff and very slow, and still a FWP
    Fuel is still ridiculously cheap on the island, filled up for like 87c/l (just under $4/gal)
    ...I could totally imagine getting a petrol variant as my next company car...

Finally, the island is still awesome. If you've never been, go.

Leave a comment:

• Perc
    replied
    I had a dry-clutch DSG in my Skoda and my father is on his second wet-clutch DSG so I've been able to compare the two many times. The wet-clutch creeps far better and has quicker and smoother shifts, but my car was nowhere near as bad as Rick describes the Focus.

I like having a torque converter again, though. I like knowing that creeping in traffic doesn't put wear on anything... other than brake pads.

Leave a comment:

• 93Flareside
    replied
    I remember a 2014 I had as a rental to be just fine. Would they have to change much or just get clutches that work in fluid?
    Last edited by 93Flareside; December 25th, 2017, 6:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied
    Actually, I don't think Ford should go back to a conventional auto or over to a CVT, I just think they need to dump the dry DCT idea and just go wet clutch instead.

Leave a comment:

• SquareLeft
    replied
    Originally posted by Spectre View Post
    The PowerShift "DCT" in that car isn't exactly a full house conventional DCT. It's a dumbed down economy version dual *dry* clutch DCT where pretty much everyone else uses wet dual clutches (similar to a motorcycle clutch) - and the wet vs dry issue makes all the difference. Dry clutch DCT in cars = awful so far.
    I now have over 50k miles on my 2013 Focus SE hatch with the dry-clutch DCT. Rick is correct about it requiring commitment. If you dilly-dally with the accelerator, it will jump around like a flea. Put your foot on it - easy or hard - and keep it there and it will pull like it should. The biggest problem with them has been the leaking main seal on the input shafts. Mine has already been replaced under warranty at about 35k miles. Ford was kind enough to throw in a new clutch pack, even though I caught the leak early enough that the clutches weren't compromised. They also replaced the ECM when I complained that the old one wasn't playing all that nice with the new parts. In reality, it wasn't that bad, it just had this crazy RPM change over crests and on some corners when I got on the throttle a bit early.

Ford was more than accommodating with the repairs. I was out exactly $0 for the two services and they offered me a free rental car (which I didn't need and didn't accept). The degas bottle (aka: radiator resorvoir) had to be replaced because of a pin-hole leak (not under warranty...) and there was a recall on the door latches (I didn't notice any problems, but Ford replaced them free). The CEL comes on once in a while with one of two different codes, but Ford hasn't found any actual problems yet. I have a scan tool and just clear them and go on (with my Ford dealer's blessing...).

Other than these issues, I can't say anything really bad about the car except that I've never been able to defeat the warning chimes, despite several attempts. Fuel mileage has been great - 31 city, 38-40 highway and an overall average of 32.8 over 4.5 years. I got 42k+ on the original Continental tires, which included two replacements for damaged sidewalls. The new Sumitomos I purchased are MUCH better tires. The fabric seats are great for longer trips - no complaints there. Handling isn't exactly sports-car sharp, but it's more than 'acceptable' and the ride is quite good, even on less-than-perfect pavement. In general, I like the car quite well and have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future.

A note to Rick - I understand your suggestion about Ford swapping the DCT for a conventional transmission, but I'm betting that it's the fuel mileage advantage that keeps them from doing that. Subaru and others are shoving CVTs at us for the same reason and (at least for the moment) I'd MUCH rather live with the DCT's imperfections than put up with a CVT!

SL

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied
    The PowerShift "DCT" in that car isn't exactly a full house conventional DCT. It's a dumbed down economy version dual *dry* clutch DCT where pretty much everyone else uses wet dual clutches (similar to a motorcycle clutch) - and the wet vs dry issue makes all the difference. Dry clutch DCT in cars = awful so far.

Leave a comment:

• rickhamilton620
    replied
    Rented a 2018 Ford Focus SE hatch with like 40 miles on the odo when we got it (100+ now).

Pros:
    * solid feeling structure - you can tell it’s got Euro roots when you toss it into a corner - it’s fun and confidence inspiring. The brake feel is excellent, even with rear drums, very progressive and linear. Steering is sharp too with good feel.

* nice interior - the rental has a black and beige interior combo that looks nice and goes well with the black exterior. My other choice was a Cruze LTZ sedan with black leather - not good in Florida. Visibility is also really good.

The center stack/console update is nice, far lesss button intensive than before.

I did notice one or two areas of cheapness (a flimsy feeling console bezel, a thin steering wheel) but overall quality was good.

the seats are very comfortable IMO.

*hatch versatility - I really miss a hatch. So much space.

*good infotainment - it had the non-touchscreen Sync w/ MyFord which has consistently been good and this is no exception. The backup camera image is surprisingly usable given the relatively small size of the non touch screen. I’d rather have this placement than the screen built into the rear view mirror if I’m honest...

being able to see the exact set speed for cruise control in the center MFI is nice too.

Cons:
    * PowerShift DCT - this trans is um ahem - problematic. It’s inconsistently unrefined. Sometimes it is fine. Other times it’ll rev up to 3k while you’re accelerating from a stop, while feeling simultaneously sluggish. It loves deliberate throttle application - don’t second guess (like suddenly accelerating for a half second while jockeying for a parking space in hellish holiday shopping trafffic) or you get nasty snatches and jerks - you gotta commit. It ruins the premium driving feel this car otherwise possesses which is a real shame.

When I got in it after it sat for a few hours post airport commute to drive it to the store, I was disappointed in the immediate low speed refinement. It’s as if it thought I was still in highway acceleration driving when really I was driving through a 25 mph neighborhood.

On the highway, it mellows out enough but compared to the “A6” 6-speed automatic in my Forte, the Forte is far more refined and, honestly, almost as quick responding.

Granted the PowerShift likely wasn’t intended to be DSG quick... I’m sure the DSG walks all over this clunker of a dual clutch. I’d rather pay for the DSG’s fluid changes than deal with this box that makes you think you’re breaking it with every drive.

They really just needed to swap in their 6 speed AT across the board, and it’s now clear why the configurator was, at one point, pushing the 1.6 EcoBoost/6 AT combo so hard.

Its the fly in the ointment of a overall solid car.

I’d take one with a 5 or 6 speed MT though.

I have have a video that I may upload. It’s tough getting a decently good connection here on DSL of a unknown speed.
    Last edited by rickhamilton620; December 25th, 2017, 3:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• narf
    replied
    Originally posted by DaBoom View Post
    Goddomot narf.

Found out it's one of the cheapest places to go from Finland, on few days notice at least. Roads there were good fun indeed, even if a bit slippery at times..
    It's also one of the cheapest places to go to from Germany... and the UK... and many other places with, like, airports... FG meetup? I might be there next in late May though for cheap prices and still good weather I like early November best, November 3rd to 10th 2018 is a good candidate.

Edit: With airberlin/Niki gone and EasyJet recently announcing they'll pull their planes from HAM at the end of March it looks like much less competition on such routes next year

Edit2: I too had a week of pre-Christmas Spanish roads in the sun a preview:

Last edited by narf; December 25th, 2017, 1:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DaBoom
    replied
    Since picture links don't seem to work in quotes..

Originally posted by narf View Post
    Europcar again made me an offer I can't refuse under 18/day to revisit the burping fartmachine, though out of a lineup of interesting colour schemes they gave me the boring white one

Previous one:

Different tunnel, same

Thoughts on the car are unchanged - fun in the mountains, useless as a daily. Hella cheap though - 0.182/km slightly less thirsty at 7.64l/100km.

The roads are still epic, you can do some grand touring down there - if you haven't been, go.
    Goddomot narf.

Found out it's one of the cheapest places to go from Finland, on few days notice at least. Roads there were good fun indeed, even if a bit slippery at times..

Leave a comment:

• NotFastNough
    replied
    Mitsubishi discontinued the Lancer in most regions after the 2017 model year, but the Lancer still lives on in parts of Asia.

Here is my review on the redesigned 2018 Mitsubishi Grand Lancer in Taiwan:

https://allwheelsforward.com/mitsubi...-lancer-review

Leave a comment:

• 93Flareside
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X