Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You could probably hit at least 50 people with those parking things at my school, though it's not really their fault. The college doesn't have enough parking for the amount of people that go there so they have 2 shuttle lots. People will do anything to not park in the farther one because you get the special surprise quite often of the shuttles not going to said lot, only the nearby one. I have had to walk to the second lot because of this, we are talking over a mile away from the school. Then if you have a class that ends after 3 the shuttles have stopped entirely so enjoy walking down the icy road in the dark.

Just spotted this on a Finnish car ad site:

http://www.nettiauto.com/ferrari/355/2408562

A 1998 Ferrari 355 GTS with.. wait for it...

393000 kms on the clock. That's 244000miles

And it's genuine, since he says that the car for sale on offer because of the high mileage.

Respect.

That's brilliant - I dread to think how much that's cost him in maintenance, but it's great to see the car being used like that.

My commute home from uni involves a couple miles of motorway with a 50mph limit, then a 70mph limit. I was driving back, today, at 9.30pm, at about 65mph on the 50 bit.

I check the rear view mirror and I see the light bar of a police car. I brick myself. Try to unsuspiciously slow down and then pull into the left lane, rather unsurruptitiously.

Thankfully the police car just drove on and didn't pull me over for speeding. Nor was it blues-and-twosing, so not sure what it was doing.

My commute home from uni involves a couple miles of motorway with a 50mph limit, then a 70mph limit. I was driving back, today, at 9.30pm, at about 65mph on the 50 bit.

I check the rear view mirror and I see the light bar of a police car. I brick myself. Try to unsuspiciously slow down and then pull into the left lane, rather unsurruptitiously.

Thankfully the police car just drove on and didn't pull me over for speeding. Nor was it blues-and-twosing, so not sure what it was doing.

Similar experience. I was driving on a huuuuge stretch of freeway, 5 lanes wide either side, with absolutely not another car in sight (middle of the afternoon). I was doing 75 in a 65 and I noticed an undercover cop behind me (the ramming bar isn't exactly discreet). I ease off down to 65 and he whooshes past at 70.

Weird. Sometimes cops are really cool, sometimes they're total douches.

I tested dynolicious today. Seems to be accurate...I got 9 seconds 0-60 when I wasn't pushing it as I was getting on the freeway. I would try again, but it is raining a ton.

Here is a first hand example of how bad things are in the auto sales portion of the economy.

Today alone I made a combined total of 68 emails and/or phone calls to around 50 unique customers. Some of those customers are people I have sold cars to before and some are to people that have come in over the past couple of weeks.

Of those 68 calls/emails how many sales do you think I got or how many appointments did I get for people to come in and look at cars...

FUCKING ZERO

Over the past three days I have a 100 calls/emails and only two sales.

This is the worst I have ever seen it.

Here is a first hand example of how bad things are in the auto sales portion of the economy.

Today alone I made a combined total of 68 emails and/or phone calls to around 50 unique customers. Some of those customers are people I have sold cars to before and some are to people that have come in over the past couple of weeks.

Of those 68 calls/emails how many sales do you think I got or how many appointments did I get for people to come in and look at cars...

FUCKING ZERO

Over the past three days I have a 100 calls/emails and only two sales.

This is the worst I have ever seen it.

Does this include used car sales as well? If it does, that sounds pretty awful.

Does this include used car sales as well? If it does, that sounds pretty awful.

Yes it does. I sell used cars and primarily new Volvos and Saabs although I can sell any of the new car brands at any of our dealerships. I have sold a couple of new Land Rovers since I moved dealerships in the summer.

The dealership hasn't sold a new Saab in two months.

An actual road sign from Finland:

normal_607582005.jpg

:D

Carb cleaner is perhaps the greatest substance ever wrought by man. My daily driver had issues with starting up after sitting overnight / a few hours (it needed a second of reving to get running). After giving the IAC a nice little wash with some carb cleaner, it now starts up like a champ.

Starting fluid works as a pretty good solvent too, but I wouldn't go squirting brake cleaner into my carb.

Well yea, I use brake cleaner more often though. It's good for prepping metal for paint and surfaces for gaskets because it leaves no residue and is a degreaser.

For the past couple of months a Porsche dealership has gradually been taking shape quite close to where I live. I've been eyeing it off when I drive past on the way to work, from the bare foundation to the building shell to the interior being gussied up and on the weekend the first sighting of dude-in-a-suit inside...and finally, when we drove past this morning it was full of cars!!!!!

YAY!!!

I'm seriously considering walking to work tomorrow so I can have a perve.

and finally, when we drove past this morning it was full of cars!!!!!

I suspect it will be that way for a while. Bad timing on the owner's front.

^ :lol: this is true. Porsche Australia are banking on the fact that the Panamera will widen their consumer base, apparently. Still, I live in a fairly well to do area (although sadly in a townhouse with my family rather than a mcmansion with a tennis court) and the fat cats around here don't seem to be hurting all that much from the recent economic downturn.

Brake cleaner is an awesome cleanser. I used to use the fuck out of it when I was a grease monkey, there is nothing that it wouldn't clean off... :D

IN other news...

It has come to my attention that one can easily obtain V12 twin turbo power in a car capable of mid 11's in the quarter while doing said time in absolute luxury... for less than the cost of a new Pontiac G8.

Depreciation is a bitch...for whomever bought it originally.

Near where I live they just finished building a Mercedes dealer right near a BMW dealer. They have plans for an Audi dealer next door, and theres an Infiniti dealer thats just about done with construction about a mile down the road.
Looks like my town didn't get the memo about the Carpocalypse.

BlaRo, you probably know what I'm talking about. Intersection of Rt.9 and South St. Wagner BMW...

Last edited:
Brake cleaner is an awesome cleanser. I used to use the fuck out of it when I was a grease monkey, there is nothing that it wouldn't clean off... :D

IN other news...

It has come to my attention that one can easily obtain V12 twin turbo power in a car capable of mid 11's in the quarter while doing said time in absolute luxury... for less than the cost of a new Pontiac G8.

Depreciation is a bitch...for whomever bought it originally.
Jesus fuck, that orange wood accent is horrendous.