Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

DBW = Drive By Wire.

By the way, what's the deal with Town Cars and Chicagoland? They're all like 200K+ and go for a lot of money.

One seller wanted $14K for a 2010 Town Car with 145,000 miles. Another one had 358K miles. :confused:

That I'll never understand. Plus they look so annoying, the grills are stupid and the tail lights seem bigger.

Perfect blend of white for readability and red for ease of vision.

audi_rs4_sedan_2008_dashboard_instr.jpg
Yes!

I paid 2100 for mine, but it was a former code enforcement vehicle.

So I am comfortable at my job again, and I had saved up a bit of coin while going through the uncertainty. So it looks like my Jeep is going to get a few goodies in the mail. Most of them have arrived, I'm just waiting on the last two things.

I'll update some more early next week.

I got mine for a bit over $800.

I don't want a tired out turd that needs a decent amount of work right off the bat. I remember you saying getting CVPI's around 100K have worn out rear ends so it acts more like an open diff. I'd like to find one with a good diff.

And... well, I'm not ready to get rid of the truck.

Last edited:
I don't want a tired out turd that needs a decent amount of work right off the bat. I remember you saying getting CVPI's around 100K have worn out rear ends so it acts more like an open diff. I'd like to find one with a good diff.

And... well, I'm not ready to get rid of the truck.

Most of the CVs (and other Fords with LSDs) have the clutches worn out by 100K anyway. Replacing the clutches is a normal service for them.

On Wednesday the car goes in to have one of these installed. Remote controlled via SMS and smartphone app. It won't be cheap but the 1.4TSI heats up terribly slowly and cordless pre-heating is awesome so it'll be worth it.

So naturally, today is the day my washing machine decides to break down. :wall:

:hmm: that's the van version, you probably want the 4 :dunno: 4.3kW vs 5.0kW isn't that much of a difference, no idea about pricing.

Last edited:
I discussed the matter with the garage (authorized Eber dealership) and decided that more power :clarkson: isn't a bad thing. So I'm getting the 5 kW one. The price difference won't be very big in the grand scheme of things and the difference in fuel consumption will probably be offset by me not having to run it for quite as long in the morning.

Some car dealerships are terrible when it comes to these heaters btw. They're fitted as standard on many diesel cars, including most Volvos. I've read many stories on Volvo forums where entire units have been replaced because they wouldn't fire up properly.

I mean, for FSM's sake, these aren't maintenance free. There are fuel filters, pumps, relays, sensors and stuff. You can (and should) troubleshoot and repair instead of draining the customer's wallet. At that rate, why not just replace the entire car? A component inside of it is broken, after all :wall:

Last edited:
Yeah, fuel-wise power doesn't matter because you're roughly getting what you burn back in heat - hard to increase efficiency there. The only reason to get the smaller unit would be purchasing price.