Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just put $2,000 down. Why such a precise number?

The marketing men probably did a study and realized that $1393 is the ideal number to draw more customers thinking "look its not even $1500, what a deal" while maximizing profits.

Looks like you can actually get one for $99/mo at my local dealer.
http://www.smartcenterbloomfield.com/specials
Fine Print said:
Available only to qualified customers through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services at participating dealers through December 01, 2014. Not everyone will qualify. Advertised 36 months lease payment based on MSRP of $14,370 less the suggested dealer contribution resulting in a total gross capitalized cost of $13,825. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect your actual lease payment.

Rick, DO NOT BUY A SMART!!! The Honda is miles better and I bet that's just a minor fix.

Yeah, avoid smart cars. If you think repair bills are expensive with the Honda. Add in the German Repair Tax.

Rick, DO NOT BUY A SMART!!! The Honda is miles better and I bet that's just a minor fix.
Yeah, avoid smart cars. If you think repair bills are expensive with the Honda. Add in the German Repair Tax.
Reading comprehension, guys. He's talking about a lease, so he knows upfront that he'd be throwing money away.

The trade-off between that sweet lease deal and them money it lets you plonk down on a Hayabusa motor to slip inside the car and the fact that the lease terms would totally prohibit that puts you at an impasse, Rick. An unfortunate impasse, indeed.

entirely the wrong conclusion, that thing won't get up any hills from the factory, without faults. look to the left, i know what i'm talking about...

This!

Rick, take it from someone in an underpowered car : you do NOT want a ForTwo. Repair bills aside it's just not made for anything other than city traffic

A short time ago, you could lease a base base base model Jetta for less than $75/month around here.

A short time ago, you could lease a base base base model Jetta for less than $75/month around here.

We got a local dealer selling not 1 but 2 Kia Souls for $222/mo. Guess they're that desperate to try to sell them.

We got a local dealer selling not 1 but 2 Kia Souls for $222/mo. Guess they're that desperate to try to sell them.
I know they look tarded but are they really terrible? Just thinking since Kia has gotten much better in the last few years, courtesy of being bought by Hyundai.

I know they look tarded but are they really terrible? Just thinking since Kia has gotten much better in the last few years, courtesy of being bought by Hyundai.

I drove one a few years ago and it was awful. Don't know about the current updated ones.

My boss had a previous gen 5 speed and was reasonably satisfied with it, the same guy has a 2010 Mustang GT and a Volvo semi tractor so he is no average consumer.

That was mostly a joke. I'd never willingly buy a Smart. :nod: I'm just frustrated.

Rick, with the hissing noise and lack of power, I'd look for a vacuum leak of some sort.

Edit: Especially one that would allow unmetered air into the engine.

Yeah. I'm hoping I can get it to the shop tomorrow. I won't be going to class tonight - it's far too risky driving 2 hours away (from work) to get there.

The trade-off between that sweet lease deal and them money it lets you plonk down on a Hayabusa motor to slip inside the car and the fact that the lease terms would totally prohibit that puts you at an impasse, Rick. An unfortunate impasse, indeed.

:(

This!

Rick, take it from someone in an underpowered car : you do NOT want a ForTwo. Repair bills aside it's just not made for anything other than city traffic

I'm used to driving 85 to 88 horsepower automatic subcompacts, and they held their own on the same route...I think that, hypothetically, I'd do alright with a Smart as far as hills go. But yeah, twas a quip made in frustration.

I think they look alright. The first one had a crashy ride on the larger wheel options but the current model fixed that + substantially upgraded the interior materials. Reliability wise, both generations should be solid based on various reports/surveys.

Kia was bought by Hyundai? I didn't know that.

Kia and Hyundai has been producing different versions of the same car for quite some time now. At least two generations of cars.

tl;dr: Don't let your Dad talk you into buying a car that you were going to walk away from.

I'm ready to push my car off a cliff. I drove to work fine yesterday morning. On the way home though the car felt "off"...it started struggling to keep pace with traffic and even sounded a little different with a hiss. When it would downshift into 3rd or 2nd gear to try and keep up on hills, i could hear the hiss more prominently and the car would just not move. Engine temp gauge was fine, transmission downshifting fine + warning lamp/gear indicator solid green and not flashing (counting my lucky starts I haven't had that happen yet...)

When i got home, i scanned for codes. No changes there...I did get a P1491 (insufficient egr valve lift) a month or so ago. That was still there but nothing new.

Any idea how old the exhaust system is? I've seen very similar symptoms in cars with clogged cats - the whole thing feels strangled and powerless. The hissing could be the exhaust escaping from whatever leak it can find if the cat is plugged.

Last edited: