Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

God mother effing damnit! Still moldy smell in the interior of the Zed, what the actual fuck?

You already know what you need to do, get your drains cleared. It will only get worse. And your interior will start going black and green.

Anyone planning a trip to a pick-n-pull yard any time soon? If anyone going could do me a huge favor and pick up a part I'm looking for that'd be awesome (paypaled of course).

Anyone planning a trip to a pick-n-pull yard any time soon? If anyone going could do me a huge favor and pick up a part I'm looking for that'd be awesome (paypaled of course).

Der Stig and I are planning a run this weekend, Pick N Pull is having a sale for members of their "give us your demographics info" club.

Der Stig and I are planning a run this weekend, Pick N Pull is having a sale for members of their "give us your demographics info" club.

Do you think you could check the pre-97 XJs for a front door glass run?

0NkPIa6.png

Should be same side to side. Not sure if the parts are different for the rare quarter vent models, but the catalog doesn't call it out, so probably not. The cheapest I can find it online is for ~$40, but I'm thinking a junk yard should probably let you have this for $5 if not less. I'd really appreciate it.

You already know what you need to do, get your drains cleared. It will only get worse. And your interior will start going black and green.

Guess you missed my post last week, I did clean the drain and I don't think it was it because there was no smell coming out of the drain pipe at all. The weirder part is that there is no moisture in the interior at all. I'm going to have the car detailed soon so I'll have the guy steam clean the vents and such but honestly I'm at a complete loss as to where it could be coming from...

Also I think the front run on the passenger window is sticking thats gonna be annoying :(

Last edited:

Guess you missed my post last week, I did clean the drain and I don't think it was it because there was no smell coming out of the drain pipe at all. The weirder part is that there is no moisture in the interior at all. I'm going to have the car detailed soon so I'll have the guy steam clean the vents and such but honestly I'm at a complete loss as to where it could be coming from...

Also I think the front run on the passenger window is sticking thats gonna be annoying :(

Drain singular or drain multiple? Most cars' drip pans have multiple drains and it only takes one clogged one to cause problems. How did you clean it/them?

Use silicone to lubricate your window run. :p

Do you think you could check the pre-97 XJs for a front door glass run?

0NkPIa6.png

Should be same side to side. Not sure if the parts are different for the rare quarter vent models, but the catalog doesn't call it out, so probably not. The cheapest I can find it online is for ~$40, but I'm thinking a junk yard should probably let you have this for $5 if not less. I'd really appreciate it.

I can check, but chances are pretty good that the Texas sun will have killed them. If you are looking for rubber/plastic exterior parts, down here is *not* where you go to find them in great shape in the junkyard. Manufacturers should choose more UV-resistant materials, hint hint O Ford engineer. :D

Last edited:
I can check, but chances are pretty good that the Texas sun will have killed them. If you are looking for rubber/plastic exterior parts, down here is *not* where you go to find them in great shape in the junkyard. Manufacturers should choose more UV-resistant materials, hint hint O Ford engineer. :D

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks anyways. Lemme know if you find something though. Mine is broken off 3/4ths of the way up so any complete one would be better than I have now.

Just ordered new gas struts for my trunk/hatch. They have been asthmatic for about a year now, but lately, when it's been cooler at night, they work even more poorly and I've bonked my head a few times...I think the first time must have been hard enough that it knocked out the thought to order them right then.

FinalGear - where members from MO and TX go to junkyards to look for parts for a member from MI. This is why I love this site <3

(to say nothing of stories like Lucille, public's Miata, etc etc)

To be perfectly fair, a lot of the really good automotive and motorcycle forums do the same thing, at least the ones where members do their own wrenching.

Drain singular or drain multiple? Most cars' drip pans have multiple drains and it only takes one clogged one to cause problems. How did you clean it/them?
There is only one in my car, it's a hose that runs under the carpet on the passenger side. Unhooked it from the A/C inside the car and ran pressurized hot water through it, the flow was good no back up and saw it running through at about same rate I expected it. What's weirder is that I didn't smell anything from either the rubber hose itself or the A/C drain.

Use silicone to lubricate your window run. :p
It might be the common issue with the motor failing, until I pull the interior door cover off I won't know :(

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered new gas struts for my trunk/hatch. They have been asthmatic for about a year now, but lately, when it's been cooler at night, they work even more poorly and I've bonked my head a few times...I think the first time must have been hard enough that it knocked out the thought to order them right then.

Yeah that's annoying I'm having same issue with the Z, since I almost never use the trunk I keep forgetting about it

I've seen 3 HP's today, which seems a lot even for Yorkshire.
The worst part was I wasn't in mine. :(

Also fuck average speed cameras, with zero... Fucking zero workmen.

Looks like Ram is taking a page out of Ford's book.

fsiBgGl.jpg

At least Ford's is stylized, the RAM letters just look like enlarged versions of cheap Autozone stick-on letters.

7GuLDyR.png

Having just helped a UPS driver dig his truck out of my driveway, I have to say that the chains they carry are an obvious placebo. He spent more time reattaching the chains over and over than behind the wheel.

I really want to turn my XJ into a budget trail rig once I'm done with it as a DD.

This is a slippery slope.

I would have preferred if they just stamped it in to the tailgate like the latest Tundras. With that said, the Raptor still works for me... Even though I have no real need to go offroad.

I applaud RAM for their new bold move. I think it will allow those who truly like to make a statement to express their self in very large, very ostentatious (and probably expensive) chrome letters on the back of their $60k truck.

These are just examples I came up with. Those willing to spend so much on a pickup truck surely can do better than I can:

A brief explanation of what I think a person might being trying to say with each of these:
RAR - I like to compress everything on my computer hard drive for fun.
RAW - I believe that steaks and sex should have something in common.
ARM - I support the right to arm yourself with as many RPGs and tanks as you can afford.
WARM - I opted for the electric seat warmers.
WAR - Huh, Good God, Y'All
PAM - (This is with a little help from a body saw.) My name is Pam, and I want it on the tailgate of my truck in 12" tall letters.

I've heard of this stuff called Fluid Film that works wonders...
FluidFilm is awesome, but it's for cavities only. For the underbody, there's PermaFilm, Fluid Films permanent sister product.