Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm confused. Who ever said the 500L was a good car? Not even us silly Euros buy the L version...

Last edited:
Hmmm must be the rest of Europe, Ive seen 2 in the metal, one of which was a demo car from Fiat themselves. In this segment the Opel Meriva is king. It's still a car for people who want a small car with lots of space, which is impossible to do. It has suicide doors though.
What kind of competition does the 500L have in the US? Do you get stuff like the Note?

Well, that didn't take long. So much for the CLAAAAAAAA idea

Hmmm must be the rest of Europe, Ive seen 2 in the metal, one of which was a demo car from Fiat themselves. In this segment the Opel Meriva is king. It's still a car for people who want a small car with lots of space, which is impossible to do. It has suicide doors though.
What kind of competition does the 500L have in the US? Do you get stuff like the Note?

By far the most 500Ls are sold in Italy:

About two thirds of the total for that time period. Didn't find a newer source that splits by country :dunno:

USA%2Bsmall%2Bcar%2Bsales%2Bchart.jpg
By this graph, I found it funny how americans consider a Smart Fortwo/Fiat 500(not the L)/Mini in the same class as a Golf-Jetta/Civic/Focus.
Regarding the 500L, I only saw one live... I really hope I will never see one again :puke:

By this graph, I found it funny how americans consider a Smart Fortwo/Fiat 500(not the L)/Mini in the same class as a Golf-Jetta/Civic/Focus.
Regarding the 500L, I only saw one live... I really hope I will never see one again :puke:

They're classed that way for legal reasons. The Civic is classed as a sub-compact; our classes don't actually go any smaller than that as when they were created there was no way to make something smaller than a sub-compact that could legally pass safety standards.

The really funny part is how the government bureaucrats refuse to change classifications despite literally everyone with a clue seeing that they don't make sense any more. Once again proving that government is stupid.

Last edited:
By that graph I'm surprised MINI still tries with the Paceman. Which I've seen more of than the 500L even though I live on the same side of the city as the one FIAT dealer.

We do get the Note, its called the Versa Note though here.

Last edited:
Is the 500L similarly-sized to the Versa Note? It could very well be, but it's styling just makes it look...er..."plump".

- - - Updated - - -

By that graph I'm surprised MINI still tries with the Paceman.

They aren't anymore. It's been a disaster, and they won't continue after this year, from what I understand...the Coupe and Roadster, too (not to be confused with the Hardtop 2-door and the Convertible)

According to Fiat's comparison tool, they consider Kia Soul and Mini Countryman as key competitors.

I'd also throw in SWB versions of Transit/Tourneo Connect in there: At least in the US, you can get them in a pretty luxurious Titanium trim + the small size and 5 passenger capacity. It, however, is more expensive than even the Countryman, so it's a style vs. practicality tradeoff.

Is the 500L similarly-sized to the Versa Note? It could very well be, but it's styling just makes it look...er..."plump".

According to the Nissan Compare tool:

Code:
[TABLE="class: group-body, width: 940"]
[TR="class: rowAlt"]
[TD="class: cell col1 hasFeature"]Exterior length (in.)[/TD]
[TD="class: cell col2aAdv, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell col2b, bgcolor: #F2F7FA, align: center"]Nissan Note: 163.7[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d2, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]Fiat 500L: 166.5[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d3, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell d4, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row"]
[TD="class: cell col1 hasFeature"]Exterior body width (in.)[/TD]
[TD="class: cell col2a, bgcolor: #E7EFF3, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell col2b, bgcolor: #E7EFF3, align: center"]66.7[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d2, bgcolor: #E4E4E4, align: center"]69.8[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d3, bgcolor: #E4E4E4, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell d4, bgcolor: #E4E4E4, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: rowAlt"]
[TD="class: cell col1 hasFeature"]Exterior body height (in.)[/TD]
[TD="class: cell col2b, bgcolor: #F2F7FA, align: center"]60.5[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d2, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"]65.7[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d3, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: cell d4, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row"]
[TD="class: cell col1 hasFeature"]Wheelbase (in.)[/TD]
[TD="class: cell col2b, bgcolor: #E7EFF3, align: center"]102.4[/TD]
[TD="class: cell d2, bgcolor: #E4E4E4, align: center"]102.8[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited:
So, I guess the new Cherokee really does suck donkey balls.

I've driven an '08 and my current '11 model. Work has owned over 8 Patriots of various years without ever needing a new engine. So far, only mine has had a transmission software update but, that's it. My '08 was sold to an office drone at 150000 miles two years ago and it's still going. during that time, it's been to New Orleans twice and texas once. When it was owned by work, it regularly traveled the entire midwest and would sometimes visit the southeast and northeast basically, it's entire life was spent driving 400+ miles a day.

My '11 model is currently at 97000 miles with only lower control arms being the major repair (which is typical for all patriots 06-current). The rest has been regular maintenance per the vehicle manual. the engine is the same basic platform in the Patriot, minus direct injection and the intake manifold. I hate my Patriot's guts for it's power robbing CVT, throttle response, seat comfort, and overall confidence turning and hitting a bump won't tear it apart but, it's a damn reliable vehicle. Even though I hate it. It's such a tragedy the Patriot is such a terrible vehicle since the name and body style are great. It's like a slightly lowered and neutered version of the old cherokee's that were actually good.

Last edited:
Well, that certainly is one way to change your oil... :lol:

*Cherokee video*

Jesus, I swear auto reviewers are mainly competent with attacks of terminal stupid when they get hung up on something. The nav does behave like a phone nav minus pinch-to-zoom. Hell, it even does something my Android phone doesn't and can center the map on wherever you press. But it won't work at all if you finger-mash it into oblivion with what amounts to a rapid series of conflicting commands.

Yeah, I don't get that. It's fucking vehicle nav. Who gives a shit. I bet you Garmin and Tom Tom don't pinch and zoom either.

My father's new car has just been delivered to the dealership... Looks rather good, I think.

11039584_10205615457521338_1265324955_n.jpg

Two Mondeo family now...

Nice Fusion :p

I think I spy a Ranger in the reflection in the dealer window...