Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just seen an advert for a SsyangYong Tivoli, I thought it was one of those gereric fake cars that insurance companies use to avoid defamation of real cars.

2015-Tivoli-1.jpg

I wouldn't wish this on Rick.

I was going to say, I think that is the best looking Ssangyong I've ever seen.

:jc:That's like saying 'Oh good, I've got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!'

I heard his voice!

Remember that SsangYong is a part of Mahindra, as is Pininfarina nowadays. So we might actually see SsangYong with Pininfarina badge someday :lol: Then again, Pininfarina has had a bit of practice already with the Hyundai Matrix.

A fancy designer badge doesn't necessarily mean anything. Remember the Morris Ital? :p

Onq7UuH.jpg

Not really the same thing.

The Arna was a complete failure because they tried to mate Nissan-Datsun design and flair with Alfasud quality and reliability instead of the other way around.

The Morris Ital is a very shoddy early 80's facelift of the Morris Marina. A new grille and new lights, essentially. They glued on an Italdesign badge for reasons that scientists haven't quite figured out yet.

It's just a couple meters of some car. And that's exactly what British Leyland had in mind when it was conceived.

I'll take the 355 on the left (but I'd rather its original V8!). The one on the right I'll leave for you and tell you it's a Supra (not the first time the 550/575 has been accused of that). ;)

I agree about the 355/512 but I actually quite like the 550/575. :dunno:
It does look a bit like a Supra, but then again I think the Supra is beautiful so there's that. :lol:

I agree about the 355/512 but I actually quite like the 550/575. :dunno:
It does look a bit like a Supra, but then again I think the Supra is beautiful so there's that. :lol:
I think the Supra is a good looking car as well (I can't call it beautiful, that's reserved for things like the 355 or 458), but that's also why I dislike the 550/575, 'cos it looks Japanese, and not like the V12 mad Italian grand tourer it ought to.

So, 456 then?
Absolutely. Bee-YOO-tee-full car, IMO. Which makes my reaction to the 550/575 that more puzzling, given the strong family link between the two models.

I still remember the first time I saw one appear for a few seconds in the background during "Ronin." <3

Last edited:
Just seen an advert for a SsyangYong Tivoli, I thought it was one of those gereric fake cars that insurance companies use to avoid defamation of real cars.

2015-Tivoli-1.jpg

I wouldn't wish this on Rick.

Tivoli review:

Ahh, you'd say that but my Tivoli pre-order is in. Base "SE" spec. Should be shipped in a few months.

jk

EDIT: Why don't I live in Europe:

:wub:

Last edited:
I thought that was a Rapid, even after reading the title of the video.

I'm not sure why they bothered with both a Rapid Spaceback and a Fabia Estate.