Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Don't think you understand what I'm on about - look closer ;)

good name. :lol:

Wonder how much that cost ...

good name. :lol:

Wonder how much that cost ...

It's one of a number of FD convertible conversions - they typically cost between $5-10K in addition to providing the car, assuming a competent coachbuilder.

Yeah but... this is an NB MX-5, right?

Do you mean convertible conversion as in making the FD convertible? Because I'm certain that is an MX-5 ...

Yeah but... this is an NB MX-5, right?

Do you mean convertible conversion as in making the FD convertible? Because I'm certain that is an MX-5 ...

I wouldn't be so sure. Someone would have had to fit the entire FD rear clip to get that rear end and there are FD convertible conversions that use NB hardtops. I would want to see more pictures before I could call it one way or the other.

Just found this in a FB group. Thoughts?

12976851_1016025821823561_3711818639361482882_o.jpg

474482d1346116919-1993-convertible-fd3s-rx-7-talk-about-rare-dscn5915.jpg

It's based off an MX-5. Compare doors, for example.

Major milestone in the wagon this weekend. :D

474482d1346116919-1993-convertible-fd3s-rx-7-talk-about-rare-dscn5915.jpg

It's based off an MX-5. Compare doors, for example.

Yeah, thanks for the pic, was just about to say the rest of the blue definitely is an NB

Turns out C5 Corvettes are cheapest in Estonia, if you are looking at buying one in Europe. There are barely any clean '98-'99 15k examples in Germany, but you could get a decent-looking, very clean 2004 one for 12900 from .ee; the prices are north of 30k obviously in Finland for a same-year car.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure. Someone would have had to fit the entire FD rear clip to get that rear end and there are FD convertible conversions that use NB hardtops. I would want to see more pictures before I could call it one way or the other.

Nah proportions all wrong for FD

EDIT: Even Germans are tired of German Engineering - Mustang outsells the TT and 911 in Germany.

Last edited:
Turns out C5 Corvettes are cheapest in Estonia, if you are looking at buying one in Europe. There are barely any clean '98-'99 15k examples in Germany, but you could get a decent-looking, very clean 2004 one for 12900 from .ee; the prices are north of 30k obviously in Finland for a same-year car.

Damn. 15k here would bring you a semi-clean early automatic one ...

- - - Updated - - -

Nah proportions all wrong for FD

EDIT: Even Germans are tired of German Engineering - Mustang outsells the TT and 911 in Germany.

:rolleyes: Typical CT. Many, many more people can afford a car for nearly 50k than for 150k+ ...

What you have to take into account for that is that this is the first time in recent history you can actually buy a mustang in Urape whithout the whole 'grey import' hassle, not everyone wants to go through that, some people just want to buy a car at a dealership, factory warranty, no paperwork and no TUV hassle, and be done with it.

The TT is for sale for a long time, everyone who wanted/could afford one got one already, so it's sales are over their peak anyway, while many people might have wanted a Mustang for a long time, but never had the chance to buy one because they did not want the above mentioned hassle, so when it finally came over here they all jumped at the chance. I'm also gonna go out on a limb here and say they are not the same people who are looking at TT's.....in fact they might be the people who would not be caught dead in a TT :p

Last edited:
What you have to take into account for that is that this is the first time in recent history you can actually buy a mustang in Urape whithout the whole 'grey import' hassle, not everyone wants to go through that, some people just want to buy a car at a dealership, factory warranty, no paperwork and no TUV hassle, and be done with it.

The TT is for sale for a long time, everyone who wanted/could afford one got one already, so it's sales are over their peak anyway, while many people might have wanted a Mustang for a long time, but never had the chance to buy one because they did not want the above mentioned hassle, so when it finally came over here they all jumped at the chance. I'm also gonna go out on a limb here and say they are not the same people who are looking at TT's.....in fact they might be the people who would not be caught dead in a TT :p

You are completely right, I just think it's interesting that for all the disparaging comments that many euros make about American cars Mustang is selling like hotcakes and in the UK V8 is actually outselling the ecoboost despite terrible gas mileage.

P.S. I would also argue that Mustang is a better value proposition than a Porsche when you are talking performance.

You are completely right, I just think it's interesting that for all the disparaging comments that many euros make about American cars Mustang is selling like hotcakes and in the UK V8 is actually outselling the ecoboost despite terrible gas mileage.

P.S. I would also argue that Mustang is a better value proposition than a Porsche when you are talking performance.

You would be surprised just how many people like American cars here, it's just that most don't want the hassle of a grey import, can't afford it, or get turned around by 'car expert' friends and family telling them horror stories about how it will eat their children and rape their dog, these experts inevitably drive something from VAG, the cheaper and greyer the better....

Stuff like selling the Mustang through normal Ford dealers is brilliant, it fills that niche nicely, pulling people in who would have shied away otherwise, untill every American brand starts doing it and flooding the market obviously.