Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Looks like the NAPAs around here don't have it. Ah well, worth a shot.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

I came across another one if you have an O'Reilly's around. You must buy online and can pick up in store. Havoline Pro DS synthetic 5W30, $14.67. In store price may match, may not.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HAV1/SYN5305QT.oap?clrnct=N2631

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the NAPAs around here don't have it. Ah well, worth a shot.

Also this 12 quart synthetic deal for $28.42, but I don't know how good the oil or maker is. It is DEXOS compliant so it can't be too bad, but still...

https://www.amazon.com/MILES-LUBRIC...d=1497401990&sr=8-1&keywords=Milesyn+SXR+5W30

I came across another one if you have an O'Reilly's around. You must buy online and can pick up in store. Havoline Pro DS synthetic 5W30, $14.67. In store price may match, may not.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HAV1/SYN5305QT.oap?clrnct=N2631

- - - Updated - - -

Also this 12 quart synthetic deal for $28.42, but I don't know how good the oil or maker is. It is DEXOS compliant so it can't be too bad, but still...

https://www.amazon.com/MILES-LUBRIC...d=1497401990&sr=8-1&keywords=Milesyn+SXR+5W30
Yup, headquarters for O'Reilly's is in the next town over (Springfield). It's amazing how big they have become over the last 10 years.

How do those DIY AC recharge things work? Thinking about doing it to the Jeep (yes it uses modern refrigerant).

Edit: I'm going to call the place and ask about them checking it. Apparently (according to various Reddit threads) doing this yourself is a Fools Errand and will make things worse.

Last edited:

You can all just kiss my big, fat ass...

:p

IMG_7476.JPG

Last edited:
You rednecanuck. :rolleyes:

:lol:
Congrats!

Badly if you have any problem more serious than a very, very slow leak. So in other words, just badly for the most part. :p

What's the problem with your AC system?

It's not cooling much, if at all. I know it dehumidifies the air fine when I use it in the rain but it's not terribly effective to cool it down. It was merely fair to ok at best last summer and I had to keep it in recirc a lot to get it to be effective.

I do hear a compressor turning on and off periodically so it's not like it's seized up or anything.

You can all just kiss my big, fat ass...

View attachment 18649

:wub: congratulations man, that looks beautiful.

It's not cooling much, if at all. I know it dehumidifies the air fine when I use it in the rain but it's not terribly effective to cool it down. It was merely fair to ok at best last summer and I had to keep it in recirc a lot to get it to be effective.

I do hear a compressor turning on and off periodically so it's not like it's seized up or anything.

Someone converted it to R-134a, I presume? Check your charge ports to be sure. Might want to check and see if they properly upgraded your hoses from the old spec to modern barrier hose - and even at that R-134a does still have more tendency to leak than R-12 does.

There should be many places around offering to do a free check of your system. Take them up on it - if the only problem is that the refrigerant is slightly low, you can probably just top up (yes, with one of those crappy DIY kits) and be fine.

How do those DIY AC recharge things work? Thinking about doing it to the Jeep (yes it uses modern refrigerant).

Edit: I'm going to call the place and ask about them checking it. Apparently (according to various Reddit threads) doing this yourself is a Fools Errand and will make things worse.

Turn car on, turn a/c on full blast, connect nozzle (clips on I believe by pulling the big screw on looking handle deal). When the compressor is on, check the pressure on the gauge on the hose kit. Green is good, any higher it won't work well and same for being below it. Keep can upright and fill it up. Again, only fill it when the A/C compressor is on.

Last edited:
Dispatches from Miami:

-The Dodge Journey is surprisingly comfortable, the Chinese Micra Sedan you get isn't.
-A GMT900 Tahoe is very tempting to purchase. Every time I climb on one I think "I could make this work."
-Shade car lots have lots of crown vics, Buying one next time I am up there is tempting, provided I manage to secure the funds
-The Mk.V Jetta reminded me of my Tercel in unpleasant ways

Dispatches from Miami:

-The Dodge Journey is surprisingly comfortable, the Chinese Micra Sedan you get isn't.
-A GMT900 Tahoe is very tempting to purchase. Every time I climb on one I think "I could make this work."
-Shade car lots have lots of crown vics, Buying one next time I am up there is tempting, provided I manage to secure the funds
-The Mk.V Jetta reminded me of my Tercel in unpleasant ways

I'll agree with the journey but, it reminds of cookie cutter houses. Looks ok and the inside is just barely enough space to put things in.

Tahoe: I had a suburban a month ago and I really didn't like it because the transmission was never in the gear I needed and when it did upshift, it was way too much power and rev'd way too high. Then again, I was on PA hilly roads.

Jetta: I only like it because that seems to be the current company car choice and it's a damn sight better than my Patriot that previous management thought was good. My gripe is the seating position and windshield angle allow your legs to burn from the sunlight. What's weird is that, in my mustang, the sun is beating on my legs and they don't burn. They're warm, but not on fire. I guess it's the UV protection used...

You rednecanuck. :rolleyes:

:lol:
Congrats!

:wub: congratulations man, that looks beautiful.

You made the best choice :mrgreen:

Sexy! Congrats! Also yay you went with my original suggestion from like what 2 years ago? :D
Thanks, fellas! This one means even more to me, in a perverse, redneck sort of way, than the car it shares real estate with. I've been wanting this bad boy for a long time.

Hellcat or Scat Pack? Either way, awesome! :thumbsup:
Neither, actually. All is explained here in the PYC thread. :cool:

PYC thread or ban.
Done. :)

Someone converted it to R-134a, I presume? Check your charge ports to be sure. Might want to check and see if they properly upgraded your hoses from the old spec to modern barrier hose - and even at that R-134a does still have more tendency to leak than R-12 does.

There should be many places around offering to do a free check of your system. Take them up on it - if the only problem is that the refrigerant is slightly low, you can probably just top up (yes, with one of those crappy DIY kits) and be fine.

Nope, it was filled from the factory with R-134a according to a warning sticker under the hood. I'll scope out places to have it checked.

Jetta: I only like it because that seems to be the current company car choice and it's a damn sight better than my Patriot that previous management thought was good. My gripe is the seating position and windshield angle allow your legs to burn from the sunlight. What's weird is that, in my mustang, the sun is beating on my legs and they don't burn. They're warm, but not on fire. I guess it's the UV protection used...

Maybe they'll give you a cheap Tiguan Limited next year: http://blog.caranddriver.com/aging-volkswagen-tiguan-to-stick-around-as-the-tiguan-limited/

I've complained about deceptive dealer advertisement on here before - how its almost impossible to qualify for the advertised price. My personal run-ins with this were when I called a dealer about a $139/mo Jeep Wrangler lease and after a while was told that the best price I'd qualify for was $359/mo and a F150 lease attempt after I saw an ad for $153/mo, but after driving out to the dealer was told that it would be $229/mo because I didn't meet some of the stipulations. This though is blatantly the worst case I've ever seen. Hat-tip to LCG for finding this (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the new SRT on the forum :p).

http://www.chapmanchryslerjeeppenns...allenger-a06daa4a0a0e0ae80954dfcc13728e22.htm

At first sight, you see a R/T Challenger for just over $23k. Seems like an awesome deal. But then you get to the incentives...

Pricing includes $500 - 2017 Returning Lessee 38CHB3 (EP compatible). Exp. 01/02/2018, $1,000 - USAA MEMBER CERTIFICATE 2017 CY 43CH9. Exp. 01/02/2018, $500 - Challenger V8 Retail Bonus Cash 44CHB7. Exp. 07/05/2017, $1,000 - Retail Non-Prime Bonus Cash (Must have a FICO score below 620). Exp. 06/30, $500 - 2017 Mid-Atlantic Performance Days Retail Bonus MACH1N. Exp. 07/05/2017, $1,000 - 2017 Conquest Lease to Retail/Lease 38CHA1. Exp. 01/02/2018, $1,000 - 2017 MA Retail Consumer Cash 35CH1. Exp. 07/05/2017, $1,250 - 2017 Retail Bonus Cash MACHA1. Exp. 07/05/2017, $500 - 2017 MY Military Program 39CHB. Exp. 01/02/2018 $500 - National Association of Realtors Member Exp. 06/30/2017 $500 - CCAP Retail Bonus (standard rates) Exp. 06/30/2017 $1,000 - Mid-Atlantic Bonus Cash Exp. 06/30/2017 $1,000 - FCA Trade Assist (2005+ year vehicle) Exp. 06/30/2017

Lets break that down. To qualify for the advertised price, you need to meet all of the following condition
  • You need to currently be leasing an FCA vehicle and be turning it in
  • Be a USAA member (auto insurance, banking, investing)
  • Have a credit score below 620
  • Have a conquest lease (note how this is likely mutually exclusive with the first item)
  • Be in the military
  • Be a realtor
  • And have a 2005 or new vehicle

Good luck finding someone who qualifies for all those those items. Aka the advertised price is impossible to get for most customers looking to get into a new car.

Here is another example from the same dealer

http://www.chapmanchryslerjeeppenns...Cherokee-d915444c0a0e0ae819cfeb621ba681fa.htm

Almost $13k off a Grand Cherokee? Sounds fantastic! Oh wait....

Pricing includes $750 - 2017 Returning Lessee 38CHB3 (EP compatible). Exp. 01/02/2018, $500 - 2017 Mid-Atlantic Returning Lessee Bonus Cash MACHX. Exp. 07/05/2017, $1,000 - 2017 Conquest Lease to Retail/Lease 38CHA1. Exp. 01/02/2018, $250 - Mid-Atlantic 2017 Bonus Cash MACHA. Exp. 07/05/2017, $2,500 - 2017 MA Retail Consumer Cash 35CH1. Exp. 07/05/2017, $500 - 2017 MY Military Program 39CHB. Exp. 01/02/2018 $500 - National Association of Realtors Member Exp. 06/30/2017 $500 - CCAP Retail Bonus (standard rates) Exp. 06/30/2017 $500 - National Association of Women Business Owners Member Exp. 06/30/2017 $1,000 - FCA Trade Assist (2005+ year vehicle) Exp. 06/30/2017

This time you need to be a female business owner, realtor in the army with a FCA lease and a competitive lease. Fuck you Chapman Chrysler Jeep. Find me a customer that actually qualifies and I'll eat my shoe (figuratively).

I'm so fed up with this deceptive bullshit to get people in the door. The advertised price should be what is attainable by 51% of customers. List the price with the bonus cash that everyone is eligible for, and then say "other incentives may apply, see dealer" or something similar.

/rant

Last edited:
Reactions: TC