Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

How did I miss this? Now I have to get to Dallas...

Yes, yes, you do. :evil: I drove that thing today; having been lucky enough to have driven one of the very rare manual X300 XJRs in the past (RHD in Ukanistan), I am convinced that LCG made a mistake in selling the thing. It's fucking awesome. :D I'm just sad that I wasn't in position to buy it myself at the time - but at least I'll be involved with this one.

It needs a few parts, but we raided some from a dead X300 XJR and a dead X300 XJ6 in a local junkyard over the past month and some missing bits will be retrieved in the next week or weekend.

Last edited:
Oh good, it's here. I can pretend to be a bigwig and be chauffeured to the Leake Auction now :lol:

In other news, I'm going to try to purchase another 302 for my Bronco Tuesday. While I think I should be able to get the existing motor reassembled soon, it never hurts to have another one.

The seller is asking $400, it was in a truck that had 125K on the clock and it was running at the time. Of course, the reason I'm considering it (this is more than your typical random pull used engine in this area) is because it happens to have a couple of features of interest.

Yup, it has Edelbrock heads and an unknown mild roller cam in it. Those usually cost quite a bit more and should go quite a long way to my 350-400tq goals....

What they normally cost: https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/edl-60379

Review: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0704-ford-mustang-edelbrock-cylinder-heads/

Wish me luck in getting it before someone else figures out what it is. :D

Yes, yes, you do. :evil: I drove that thing today; having been lucky enough to have driven one of the very rare manual X300 XJRs in the past (RHD in Ukanistan), I am convinced that LCG made a mistake in selling the thing. It's fucking awesome. :D I'm just sad that I wasn't in position to buy it myself at the time - but at least I'll be involved with this one.

It needs a few parts, but we raided some from a dead X300 XJR and a dead X300 XJ6 in a local junkyard over the past month and some missing bits will be retrieved in the next week or weekend.
It was spending too much time sitting in a garage up here, so I'm glad it's being oohed and ahed over by people who can give it the attention it deserves. I realized I still have a few parts I forgot to pack in the trunk, like a pair of rear straight pipes and the trunk lock barrel, plus the spare trunk lid and front bumper of course. Bit bulky to ship down (apart from the trunk lock barrel), but if you guys really want them we can work something out.

Oh good, it's here. I can pretend to be a bigwig and be chauffeured to the Leake Auction now :lol:
Aren't you kinda tall? These Jags are, er, on the snug side inside.

I'll move the bulky parts to Texas if a Texan will cut me some Subaru patch panels.

What do you need? And from what Subaru?

- - - Updated - - -

It was spending too much time sitting in a garage up here, so I'm glad it's being oohed and ahed over by people who can give it the attention it deserves. I realized I still have a few parts I forgot to pack in the trunk, like a pair of rear straight pipes and the trunk lock barrel, plus the spare trunk lid and front bumper of course. Bit bulky to ship down (apart from the trunk lock barrel), but if you guys really want them we can work something out.

I won't presume to speak for DS or CJ, but I'm thinking they don't need the trunk lid - I picked one up at PNP on Half Price Day for them. And some other stuff; this was the first truckload.

They might want the bumper fascia as it's hard to find a good one. However, what it desperately needs is one of those stock exhaust systems your mechanic has on his parts XJRs, from where it connects to the manifold to the exhaust tips. You can probably guess why it failed the mandatory state inspection - I have your number from earlier correspondence, I'll text you later to see what can be done.

TIL Ford considered naming the Mustang the Torino

What do you need? And from what Subaru?
Nigh essential:
Outer Sill/rocker ends (or entire panel), both sides, 90-94 Legacy sedan or wagon

Nice to have:
- Inner Sill panels, same as above (I can just Patch this with ugly plate since it's invisible)
- Both front fenders (or patch sections), 90-91 Legacy sedan or wagon

- Patch cut from both sides rear quarter arch area, 90-94 Legacy wagon (the whole panel for this would be essentially impossible to remove cleanly)

Essentially, find a rust free 90-94 Legacy sill and attack its neighboring body panels with a saw. The fenders and quarters are probably within my ability to reconstruct.
These bits:
legacy1.pnglegacy2.png

Alternatively, an entire parts car is fine.

Last edited:
They might want the bumper fascia as it's hard to find a good one. However, what it desperately needs is one of those stock exhaust systems your mechanic has on his parts XJRs, from where it connects to the manifold to the exhaust tips. You can probably guess why it failed the mandatory state inspection - I have your number from earlier correspondence, I'll text you later to see what can be done.
Cool, I'll hold onto the bumper. As for the exhaust, yeah keep me posted; I can connect you directly to my mechanic if need be.

None of the local Pick N Pulls has a John Wayne LeGacy wagon, closest one on row52 is about 160 miles from here. Nearest sedan on row52 is about 120 miles. No LeGacys of either description on local CL - I think they've mostly been scrapped by now, but I'll check a couple other places.

Want my address?

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Want my address?

Better give it to me as GPS coordinates so the CAF B-29 can get the ballistic delivery of my old 5.0 Standard Low Output delivery right. You can't have the 'new' one. :p

Last edited:
TIL Ford considered naming the Mustang the Torino

In alternate universe we are wonder what a world where the Torino was named a Mustang would be like. And why that bulbous thing from the early '70s was called the Mustang... Also in this world I have lots of money and a gold plated Roller...

BRZ catalytic converters, brake, suspension overhaul pricing using...

Dealership parts: $2700.
Speed parts (non-CARB but still catted, full coilovers): $2700.
Parts store parts: $1600. (Meh)

Nah. As long as the PCM keeps it's mouth shut and it looks visually plausible (to a guy with a mirror and undertrays in the way) it'll skate.