No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That car is owned by the state of Utah and associated with the public school system. The "EX" on the plate and lack of year and month renewal stickers indicates it is tax-exempt; the logo is the same one used by many districts as that fleet of cars is shifted from school to school for practice.

EDIT: I recognize that spot, I-15 down near Cedar City. I pass it all the time on my way to Southern California. I love the 80 mph limit we have on most our interstates now, it makes that trip so much easier. Not so much faster, but I worry less about cops.
    Last edited by Blind_Io; November 9th, 2017, 9:11 PM.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
    but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Blind_Io View Post
      That car is owned by the state of Utah and associated with the public school system. The "EX" on the plate and lack of year and month renewal stickers indicates it is tax-exempt; the logo is the same one used by many districts as that fleet of cars is shifted from school to school for practice.
      EDIT: I recognize that spot, I-15 down near Cedar City. I pass it all the time on my way to Southern California. I love the 80 mph limit we have on most our interstates now, it makes that trip so much easier. Not so much faster, but I worry less about cops.
      Yeah those 80mph limits were amazing. We drove down from Salt Lake to Springdale and back over the weekend.
      Last edited by CrzRsn; November 9th, 2017, 9:13 PM.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
      2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
      2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
      1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
      1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

And you didn't let me know you were in town? I feel jilted.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
        but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

And you didn't let me know you were in town? I feel jilted.

Comment

To save CD82 the searching, here is the incident to which I referred: 333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
              To save CD82 the searching, here is the incident to which I referred: 333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t
              URL didn't capture the post ID correctly.

https://forums.finalgear.com/post-yo...3/#post2432390

Comment

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Okay, let me load the URL into Safari and get it that way.

https://forums.finalgear.com/post-yo...3/#post2432390

Wtf? I pasted the standard non TT Link... Well, here's the thread, it's on page 3.

https://forums.finalgear.com/post-yo...hi-barge-58557
                Last edited by Spectre; November 9th, 2017, 9:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrzRsn View Post
                  Yeah those 80mph limits were amazing. We drove down from Salt Lake to Springdale and back over the weekend.

Yup, that exit's only about 15 minutes north of me. I'm pretty sure I recognize that exact driver's ed car too. I think sure that instructor occasionally uses it as his personal car, since I've not only seen it driving around with only him in it, but I've seen it in the local Smith's parking lot a time or 3 too.

CrzRsn, if/when you do come back, you should add Kolob canyon, which is just south of Cedar City and part of Zion's, as well as Bryce, UT 12, and the top part of Burr Trail to the list of places to see. UT 12 through the Grand Staircase and over BOulder mountain is pretty much the best way to get from Zion's to Capitol Reef, but both Bryce and Burr trail (which is technically part of Capitol Reef) are worthwhile detours. Kodachrome basin too actually...

Additionally, UT95 from Hanksville through to Blanding is a fantastic driving road, and almost always empty. You can also detour off of 95 to drive Moki Dugway, and maybe even see Monument Valley. 95 also has Natural Bridges National Monument too

Comment

I notice a lot more broken down cars in the south vs the north, even on similarly long stretches of road, no idea why
                    ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                      I notice a lot more broken down cars in the south vs the north, even on similarly long stretches of road, no idea why
                      Probably because cars live long enough to die from mechanical failure instead of rust damage.
                      Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?

Comment

It is definitely not a major issue around here. But our state has inspections, our highways are narrower, and there are far less of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ScarFace88 View Post
                          Probably because cars live long enough to die from mechanical failure instead of rust damage.
                          Nah even newer stuff.
                          ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                            It seems like where there is inclement weather, people might tend to take their cars more seriously in terms of maintenance. The people i grew up around (and also local TV ads), people make a point of taking their cars in before winter for all-over checks, tires, coolant levels, batteries, hoses and belts etc. Where it's summer all the time, maybe people don't pay that much attention until something fails.
                            There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Eh. Pennsylvania highways are littered with abandoned cars.

The cleanup speed seems to vary state to state and road to road mainly by how many fucks the relevant cops give. There are some locally policed stretches of US-30 where abandoned vehicles will sit for MONTHS. In Maryland, just a few miles away you get 2 days max.
                              Last edited by EyeMWing; November 10th, 2017, 1:32 AM.
                              Oh hai guys. This is a signature.

Comment

Our motorways up here north of DFW are littered with "throw away" cars. Usually lower income people buy shit cheap cars then when they break they move on and buy another $500~1,000 car. If they get 9-12 months out of it they "scored".
                                Me:
                                2016 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7 8AT (aka Vladof) -- 3/15/2017-present
                                2014 Dodge Charger SE 3.6 8AT (aka Dirk) -- 6/30/2014-03/15/2017

Wife:
                                2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L 4x2 9AT (aka Boop) -- 5/5/2015-present
                                2012 Ford Fusion SE 2.5L FWD 6AT (aka Boco) -- ?/?/2012-5/5/2015 (<--Miss this car)

Originally posted by Mitchi
                                Damn Panamera you fine as hell send nudes

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
                                  Our motorways up here north of DFW are littered with "throw away" cars. Usually lower income people buy shit cheap cars then when they break they move on and buy another $500~1,000 car. If they get 9-12 months out of it they "scored".

Currently 2 of these in the 5 mile drive between my apartment and work which have been there for a week.
                                  My car is Greener than your car.

LegendZ live forever.

Comment

Pick them up at police auctions for dirt cheap. Wrench them up to barely drivable. Throwaway spec Lemons Series.... even more throwaway than it already is.

Comment

In Missouri if you see a dead car on the side if the road without plates, I've always assumed that they aren't coming back for it and plan to transfer their plates to the next pile of junk they buy.

Comment

Speaking of dead cars on the side of the road....

Saw this in Utah.

Looked like 50s-60s American metal.

Comment

Originally posted by CrzRsn View Post
                                          Speaking of dead cars on the side of the road....

Saw this in Utah.

Looked like 50s-60s American metal.
                                          Yup, Just south of Nephi.

The pile has been growing over the years, but I dont think anything down there could be saved without a hell of a lot of work; and none of it's probably worth saving either.

There's this:

in-between the two Spanish Fork exits too. Most of those could probably be saved, though again, I don't think any of them are really 'valuable'.

Hell, given the fact that they are all arranged now (they didn't use to be) some of them might even run as-is....
                                          Last edited by NotLaw; November 12th, 2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X