No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh. Pennsylvania highways are littered with abandoned cars.

The cleanup speed seems to vary state to state and road to road mainly by how many fucks the relevant cops give. There are some locally policed stretches of US-30 where abandoned vehicles will sit for MONTHS. In Maryland, just a few miles away you get 2 days max.
    Last edited by EyeMWing; November 10th, 2017, 1:32 AM.
    Oh hai guys. This is a signature.

Comment

Our motorways up here north of DFW are littered with "throw away" cars. Usually lower income people buy shit cheap cars then when they break they move on and buy another $500~1,000 car. If they get 9-12 months out of it they "scored".
      Me:
      2016 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7 8AT (aka Vladof) -- 3/15/2017-present
      2014 Dodge Charger SE 3.6 8AT (aka Dirk) -- 6/30/2014-03/15/2017

Wife:
      2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L 4x2 9AT (aka Boop) -- 5/5/2015-present
      2012 Ford Fusion SE 2.5L FWD 6AT (aka Boco) -- ?/?/2012-5/5/2015 (<--Miss this car)

Originally posted by Mitchi
      Damn Panamera you fine as hell send nudes

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
        Our motorways up here north of DFW are littered with "throw away" cars. Usually lower income people buy shit cheap cars then when they break they move on and buy another $500~1,000 car. If they get 9-12 months out of it they "scored".

Currently 2 of these in the 5 mile drive between my apartment and work which have been there for a week.
        My car is Greener than your car.

LegendZ live forever.

Comment

Pick them up at police auctions for dirt cheap. Wrench them up to barely drivable. Throwaway spec Lemons Series.... even more throwaway than it already is.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
          2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
          2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
          1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
          1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

In Missouri if you see a dead car on the side if the road without plates, I've always assumed that they aren't coming back for it and plan to transfer their plates to the next pile of junk they buy.

Comment

Speaking of dead cars on the side of the road....

Saw this in Utah.

Looked like 50s-60s American metal.

Comment

Originally posted by CrzRsn View Post

Saw this in Utah.

Yup, Just south of Nephi.

The pile has been growing over the years, but I dont think anything down there could be saved without a hell of a lot of work; and none of it's probably worth saving either.

There's this:

in-between the two Spanish Fork exits too. Most of those could probably be saved, though again, I don't think any of them are really 'valuable'.

Hell, given the fact that they are all arranged now (they didn't use to be) some of them might even run as-is....
                Last edited by NotLaw; November 12th, 2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotLaw View Post
                  Yup, Just south of Nephi.

The pile has been growing over the years, but I dont think anything down there could be saved without a hell of a lot of work; and none of it's probably worth saving either.
                  Originally posted by NotLaw View Post
                  There's this:

in-between the two Spanish Fork exits too. Most of those could probably be saved, though again, I don't think any of them are really 'valuable'.

Hell, given the fact that they are all arranged now (they didn't use to be) some of them might even run as-is....
                  Saw those too. But we have similar displays to that around here.
                  Last edited by CrzRsn; November 12th, 2017, 1:49 AM.

Comment

I would be one of those people, it's a common enough 7 series not much point in fixing it.
                    ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

I can't help but wonder about one thing - crash protection after this repair. This YouTube comment pretty much says what I mean:

people envious? No not at all, just shocked that people still repair cars in this way. Yes he has body repair skills but he has no idea about modern repair techniques. This car is now extremely unsafe and dangerous. If it is involved in another collision the occupants could easily be killed as the structural integrity is now virtually non existent. Modern cars are designed to crumple, deform and absorb impacts, the way this car has been repaired has dramatically reduced the way it will perform if involved in another collision.?

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
                      "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
                      "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchi View Post
                        I can't help but wonder about one thing - crash protection after this repair. This YouTube comment pretty much says what I mean:

Comment

Even with that said it was pretty impressive. The panel gap was pretty spot on.
                          Me:
                          2016 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7 8AT (aka Vladof) -- 3/15/2017-present
                          2014 Dodge Charger SE 3.6 8AT (aka Dirk) -- 6/30/2014-03/15/2017

Wife:
                          2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L 4x2 9AT (aka Boop) -- 5/5/2015-present
                          2012 Ford Fusion SE 2.5L FWD 6AT (aka Boco) -- ?/?/2012-5/5/2015 (<--Miss this car)

Originally posted by Mitchi
                          Damn Panamera you fine as hell send nudes

Comment

Saw this in Utah.

That's along I-15. I can t remember exactly where, but I think it is between I-70 and Beaver.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
                            but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Blind_Io View Post
                              That's along I-15. I can t remember exactly where, but I think it is between I-70 and Beaver.
                              Top left corner of the top image, I-15 is pointing at Mt. Nebo.

This is about 10 or 15 minutes South of Nephi. It's harder to see from the SB side, but heading south, I would be just after you've pulled that first larger hill, and are in the little ups-and-downs before dropping down into the Mills exit.

I've driven that stretch of I-15 literally countless times. Seriously, I tried to figure it, but the best I could do using estimates and averages is somewhere in the several hundred times range in the last 5 to 8 years.

Comment

Yep, you're right.

For some reason I was thinking it was farther south. There are some other junked cars along side the freeway down there.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
                                but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Final Gear around the world care package
                                  discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Look at what Musk twattered about today:

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
                                    "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
                                    "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Isn't the point of a semi truck long range? Just how are they going to justify delays if they have to stop for hours every hundred miles?

Final Gear around the world care package
                                      discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Originally posted by IceBone View Post
                                        Isn't the point of a semi truck long range? Just how are they going to justify delays if they have to stop for hours every hundred miles?
                                        Presumably they have that figured out...... You can haul 1 20lb box because the rest of the trailer is batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBone View Post
                                          Don't forget the weight of the batteries decreasing payload capacity.

Comment

Working...
                                          X