Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

gaasc;n3544330 said:
Apparently if you want one at that price ,you have to go to a major city and wait for year's end

GRtak;n3544338 said:
Go look for last years models that are still on the lot. They are far and few between at this point, but you might get a nice deal.

Pretty much this. Dealers around here start deeply discounting the last model year as soon as the new ones hit the lot - and as they sit there the discounts get deeper.

That's on top of the same thing happening to the fleet-model trucks - you can still get a fleet spec F-150 for $9999 soon after the model years change.

prizrak;n3544349 said:
why not simply replace them with another analog module?

Cost, I'm sure. Anything physical demands either tooling for in-house production, or demands depending on an outside supplier, and it's especially hard to make minor updates. An update to a touchscreen is a firmware flash.

NecroJoe;n3544404 said:
Cost, I'm sure. Anything physical demands either tooling for in-house production, or demands depending on an outside supplier, and it's especially hard to make minor updates. An update to a touchscreen is a firmware flash.

Dunno if I agree with that, the second adapter has physical buttons on top (that are programmable at that) so it would be trivial to add say another row so you can have full physical HVAC controls.

FinalGearians of Continental Europe:
I find myself in need of EDM Subaru headlights. Can any of you be convinced to obtain them for me and forward them? Might be as simple as calling a dealership.

UKanians need not apply since the RHD parts are incorrect.

I've made contact with someone on the continent who not only has a German mailing address to which he can receive free shipping, but can also ship them to me at US domestic mail rates. Now to decipher ebay.de .....

Entschuldigung!

Here is my January bill for my brand new Toyota Tacoma:

1000.jpg

Spectre;n3544091 said:
Ahem, you forgot something that's an AWD car with good ground clearance, car like profile and AWD that isn't patched FWD. They're also at a good price these days as people finally trade in/up:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.motorcar.com\/used-2006-infiniti-fx35-2ownerneverseensnownofloodnonsmokerandaccidentfree-12734-16523231-1-640.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Funny you should mention those...:ninja:

CraigB;n3544529 said:
I've never seen such a thing...
An auto loan bill? Or one that includes an ad inviting you to the dealership to test drive your own car?

Labcoatguy;n3544531 said:
Funny you should mention those...:ninja:
Proud new owner of a Datsun? :p

TC;n3544538 said:
Proud new owner of a Datsun? :p

Possibly soon; depends if I want to find a V6 and get a manual swapped into it or stick with a stock V8.

Labcoatguy;n3544549 said:
Possibly soon; depends if I want to find a V6 and get a manual swapped into it or stick with a stock V8.

They made a stock V8 with a manual for one of those? Far as I know none of the AWD models they made had a manual as an option and IIRC they didn't make an RWD version of those.

prizrak;n3544570 said:
They made a stock V8 with a manual for one of those? Far as I know none of the AWD models they made had a manual as an option and IIRC they didn't make an RWD version of those.

Nope, manual would have to be a V6, unless I wanted to convert an FX45 to RWD at the same time, and that is more of a pain than I'd want to deal with. I've seen the occasional VK45-swapped Z car with a manual so it's somewhat feasible, but in an FX you'd probably have to disable a whole bunch of the electronic features.

Labcoatguy;n3544586 said:
Nope, manual would have to be a V6, unless I wanted to convert an FX45 to RWD at the same time, and that is more of a pain than I'd want to deal with. I've seen the occasional VK45-swapped Z car with a manual so it's somewhat feasible, but in an FX you'd probably have to disable a whole bunch of the electronic features.

They made manual FX at all? TIl

Nissan tends to be pretty easy for swaps like this. You can even cram a VQ56 into an Xterra.