Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by prizrak View Post
    Must be a Toyota module, please tell me you don't use CC in a damn Challenger.
    Due to the nature of my drives and the geography, very rarely. But if I’m on a sweeping highway where I’ll be trundling along in sixth gear for long periods, why wouldn’t I use it (recall issue notwithstanding)?
    Originally posted by tigger
    The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

    Comment


      Because if you didn't wanna drive shoulda taken a damn taxi (or made someone else drive), first you use cruise control, next you get an automatic and before you know it you are espousing the greatness of you new Tesla.
      ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

      Comment


        ...

        You seem quite upset. Cruise control is lovely if you want/need to drive for hours on end on flat roads. and it lets you take in the scenery (and in Jim's case, the glorious V8 soundtrack). Then when you get to a twisty bit, hit cancel, drop down a couple of cogs and enjoy

        <Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
        "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
        John F. Kennedy

        Comment


          Cruise control is first step to a self driving car
          ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

          Comment


            Originally posted by JimCorrigan View Post
            Due to the nature of my drives and the geography, very rarely. But if I’m on a sweeping highway where I’ll be trundling along in sixth gear for long periods, why wouldn’t I use it (recall issue notwithstanding)?
            Super-dumb question, how does CC maintain speed on hills with a manual? Obviously your Challenger has enough torque to just throttle through things, but on a lesser car how does it deal with hills without the ability to automatically downshift?

            OSPhoto

            Comment


              It will bog down and struggle until you downshift yourself, which ends the cruise control. I honestly don't know what would happen if you just left it until stalling point. I suppose it would either stall or disable cruise at some threshhold. It's not something that happens often for me, maybe would be a real issue in very low powered-vehicles.
              Last edited by thevictor390; June 25th, 2018, 3:05 PM.

              Comment


                I don't remember a 100% but from what I remember of reading the manual for the Z, CC only works above a certain speed theoretically if it struggles to maintain speed it will turn off.
                EDIT: From the Mustang manual:
                Originally posted by FoMoCo
                • If the vehicle speed decreases more than 10 mph (16 km/h) below
                your set speed on an uphill, your speed control will disengage.
                EDIT2: For Xterra:
                Originally posted by Nissan
                ● the vehicle slows down more than 8 MPH
                (13 km/h) below the set speed.
                Last edited by prizrak; June 25th, 2018, 3:39 PM.
                ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                Comment


                  Yeah, that make sense! I've never owned a manual car that actually had cruise installed, haha.

                  OSPhoto

                  Comment


                    Until I had the Subaru I didn't even think that manuals could have CC.
                    ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by JimCorrigan View Post
                      Hmm, so a lot of FCA products have a recall to deal with (yes, mine included).

                      http://www.wranglerjlforum.com/forum...cancelled.html

                      Interestingly, none are of the “F” persuasion, just the “CA” portion.
                      Thanks, I just sent this to a friend with an affected Cherokee.

                      No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
                      but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by prizrak
                        Because if you didn't wanna drive shoulda taken a damn taxi (or made someone else drive), first you use cruise control, next you get an automatic and before you know it you are espousing the greatness of you new Tesla.
                        I think you better switch to decaf.

                        Were you to actually drive a rural setting, on roads where you rarely see another human for literally minutes at a time, where you will maintain a steady speed (therefore no shifting) for hours on end, cruise control becomes a wonderful driving companion. Last I checked, I still have to steer and watch for potential hazards, so in no way am I less involved. I just get to relax my right foot and consume less gas (just because I drive a gas guzzler doesn’t mean I can’t be frugal in the one instance I have opportunity to do so).

                        Am I encroaching on your front lawn, grandpa?

                        Originally posted by prizrak
                        Cruise control is first step to a self driving car
                        Are power steering, power brakes, and ABS also on your list of things associated with the axles of evil?

                        Originally posted by gaasc
                        ...

                        You seem quite upset. Cruise control is lovely if you want/need to drive for hours on end on flat roads. and it lets you take in the scenery (and in Jim's case, the glorious V8 soundtrack). Then when you get to a twisty bit, hit cancel, drop down a couple of cogs and enjoy
                        If only I could + rep you on this current forum

                        Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

                        Super-dumb question, how does CC maintain speed on hills with a manual? Obviously your Challenger has enough torque to just throttle through things, but on a lesser car how does it deal with hills without the ability to automatically downshift?
                        Victor and prizrak explained it already better than I could. Not a dumb question. Ever since I got my license (24 years ago, oy!) I’ve always been taught on its optimal use (described above), so that scenario never really occurs for me. As you can imagine, living where I do I rarely even get the opportunity to use cruise because of sudden elevation changes, but on gradual hills or sweepers, like BC-19 north of me, or BC-99 south of Richmond heading to Washington State, where I do use it I won’t encounter that possibility.

                        Hey, sorry for being AWOL for so long but that offer for you and your SO to come visit still stands anytime. Last fall was not good because of mourning.

                        Originally posted by Blind_Io

                        Thanks, I just sent this to a friend with an affected Cherokee.
                        You’re welcome!
                        Originally posted by tigger
                        The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

                        Comment


                          After having done nearly 1000 miles in my Acclaim over the last 3 weeks I dearly wish I had cruise control and air conditioning....

                          Plodding along the motorway at 65mph with my right foot slowly going numb and my right ear slowly going deaf due to the window being down to combat the heat is no fun at all. An FM radio or any sort of aux input would also be nice...

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by JimCorrigan View Post
                            I think you better switch to decaf.
                            Decaf is for women!

                            Were you to actually drive a rural setting, on roads where you rarely see another human for literally minutes at a time, where you will maintain a steady speed (therefore no shifting) for hours on end, cruise control becomes a wonderful driving companion. Last I checked, I still have to steer and watch for potential hazards, so in no way am I less involved. I just get to relax my right foot and consume less gas (just because I drive a gas guzzler doesn’t mean I can’t be frugal in the one instance I have opportunity to do so).
                            I have done long drives with very little traffic (East coast of US is pretty populated so you don't get no one for minutes at a time but sparse enough in places to use CC). I have used CC maybe 4 times in my life, once in my Audi for like a mile before I couldn't deal with it anymore, once in the Scoob to save fuel after Sandy and twice in the X because of all the cars that one actually does give me a foot cramp. Rest of the cars, including a 12 hour drive in the Z I used my right foot BECAUSE THAT'S WHY IT'S THERE!

                            Am I encroaching on your front lawn, grandpa?
                            My curb, remember NY no lawns


                            Are power steering, power brakes, and ABS also on your list of things associated with the axles of evil?
                            Those are not self driving technologies, now TC/VDC type stuff is evil. Though I personally see little point in ABS drove a car where it died and didn't have any real issues with threshold braking.
                            Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                            After having done nearly 1000 miles in my Acclaim over the last 3 weeks I dearly wish I had cruise control and air conditioning....

                            Plodding along the motorway at 65mph with my right foot slowly going numb and my right ear slowly going deaf due to the window being down to combat the heat is no fun at all. An FM radio or any sort of aux input would also be nice...
                            A/C is basically a requirement for me, if your foot is going numb you need a better foot
                            Last edited by prizrak; June 26th, 2018, 12:18 PM.
                            ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by JimCorrigan View Post

                              Victor and prizrak explained it already better than I could. Not a dumb question. Ever since I got my license (24 years ago, oy!) I’ve always been taught on its optimal use (described above), so that scenario never really occurs for me. As you can imagine, living where I do I rarely even get the opportunity to use cruise because of sudden elevation changes, but on gradual hills or sweepers, like BC-19 north of me, or BC-99 south of Richmond heading to Washington State, where I do use it I won’t encounter that possibility.

                              Hey, sorry for being AWOL for so long but that offer for you and your SO to come visit still stands anytime. Last fall was not good because of mourning.
                              Yeah I can imagine your home turf isn't exactly cruise control heaven, haha. That's what we have Saskatchewan for!

                              No worries bud, good to see you back on the forum! SO is now wife as of a couple of weeks ago, so we're busy planning honeymoon stuff and conserving vacation days for it - we're aiming to make it out to your island next summer!

                              OSPhoto

                              Comment


                                Is it really worth shipping a car from Florida because it's red when there's a blue one right here in Worcester

                                Comment


                                  Yes, red ones go faster
                                  ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                                    Until I had the Subaru I didn't even think that manuals could have CC.
                                    I found out last night that my GTI will keep cruise control on even if I press the clutch in and change gears. it only turns off if I switch it off or press the brakes.
                                    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                    2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by CraigB View Post
                                      Ambulances, diesel trucks, etc. use two in parallel to get more amps for cranking/draw. Dad talks about hitting old diesel semi trucks with 24 volts to get them to crank fast enough to start easier.
                                      I thought diesels were 24V + extra capacity of dual batteries.
                                      1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                      2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                      1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                      2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                      2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post

                                        I found out last night that my GTI will keep cruise control on even if I press the clutch in and change gears. it only turns off if I switch it off or press the brakes.
                                        That's interesting, IIRC the Z would disengage CC when you clutch in. I should test the Stang and X
                                        ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post

                                          I thought diesels were 24V + extra capacity of dual batteries.
                                          Could be. His experience came from the late 1970s, so it may have been different then.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X