Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

CraigB;n3553577 said:
I wonder if a catch can setup would help with oil consumption?

Dad's old 2003 Silverado has/had cold weather piston slap. But in typical GM fashion, it's done it for 50k+ miles...

The 03 would be a bit later IIRC - after they extended the piston skirts so instead of damaging the engine it was just noisy, something they should have done years prior instead of pretending the problem didn't exist.

Related period reading: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/2138/chevrolet/x/6-0-liter-knock

Not sure that a catch can would help with oil consumption on an 8.1. The 8.1 doesn't even have a PCV valve. Read this thread, which has a TSB on the 8.1's oil consumption (GM says oil consumption is *supposed* to be related to fuel consumption on this motor!) and other info: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/54785-81-oil-consumption/

For the fans of Bob Lutz, he will be on a web show called Autoline After Hours at 3PM EST tomorrow. There is no set subject, and even when there is, Lutz is not afraid to go there. The link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssnme93y3o

EDIT: Sorry, that is tomorrow, not today.

Last edited:
What the hell is Nissan doing in their latest Rouge ad?!?

(start the video at 0:20)

1. You should never undertake an 18 wheeler. Why are you advertising this?
2. No one will ever use the feature like this? No one will turn on lane keeping to thread the needle between 2 trucks and then turn it off.
3. You're not supposed to take your hands off the steering wheel with this feature. The ad clearly shows her letting go of the steering wheel.
4. If you need lane keep assist to help you drive between 2 trucks on that particular bit of road, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

After chatting with Victor a bit, adding another point.

5. Threading the needle between 2 trucks like that is probably when you want to be most attentive, not letting your guard down because you have a computer driving.

You say never undertake a truck, but in my area they regularly squat in the passing lane or three lanes from the right shoulder doing 10 under the limit. You don't have a choice but to undertake.

Rogue is a POS, also why wouldn't you undertake a truck? It's not like there is any expectation that you pass on the left only. Least believable part of this is Rogue accelerating, they don't actually do that.

Last edited:
YouTube's algorithm has randomly been showing me Android head unit videos, that got me thinking, why aren't OEMs building their infotainment systems on Android.

And in the latest brilliance from German engineers, you apparently need a $500-$1000 scan tool to replace brakes on recent Volkswagens like this 2011 CC:

Last edited:
prizrak;n3553167 said:
It's 10/14 right?

Yeah it's October 14th.

GRtak;n3553604 said:
For the fans of Bob Lutz, he will be on a web show called Autoline After Hours at 3PM EST tomorrow. There is no set subject, and even when there is, Lutz is not afraid to go there. The link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssnme93y3o

EDIT: Sorry, that is tomorrow, not today.

Just downloaded today, can't wait to give it a listen.

Last edited:
Spectre;n3553674 said:
With indifferent success. Some of the Android based infotainment systems have been pretty dire.

It seems like OEMs are really bad at infotainment for some reason. But I also don’t get why the likes of Pioneer don’t use Android and supply OEM head units. They seem to generally be better than stock

prizrak;n3553695 said:
It seems like OEMs are really bad at infotainment for some reason. But I also don’t get why the likes of Pioneer don’t use Android and supply OEM head units. They seem to generally be better than stock

Pioneer does supply OEM Android head units. It's the car companies that do the interface, though.

Crazyjeeper;n3553702 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.smugmug.com\/Other\/Mics-Uploads\/n-sj6Qh\/i-xNKqz4n\/0\/014687fa\/X4\/i-xNKqz4n-X4.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Sorry, not sorry.

The Xterra needed a new catalytic converter so I took it in to Master Muffler (my usual mechanic doesn't do exhaust welding) because they were highly recommended and had good reviews online. I was quoted $400 over the phone for the job, which seemed competitive to other places I called and cheaper than the dealership (not surprising). I took the vehicle in and before it was even pulled into the shop the price had mushroomed to $700+. Alright, maybe someone looked up the wrong part or didn't account for labor, mistakes happen and I need the work done to register the car.

When I get the car back it sounds like someone drilled holes in the muffler and the check engine light comes back on as soon as the computer resets itself. Now it's throwing a code for a bad O2 sensor - specifically the one right next to the catalytic converter that they welded on. The repair has a 2 year warranty, so I take it back.

They call me with a story about how they aren't responsible for the sensor and "there is no way to tell when it went bad, it was probably bad before it came in." When I told the guy that the car was not showing any O2 sensor codes before they worked on it, he said that the vehicle is "not capable" of showing more than one code at a time - which is an absolute lie for an OBDII vehicle, I've personally seen multiple codes at once. He wanted nearly $400 to replace the O2 sensor but at least he replaced the exhaust gaskets under warranty. Since it was Saturday and I'm now in a bind to get it registered by month's end, he has me over a barrel.

I'm now $1,100 into a $400 estimated repair. The Check Engine warning stayed off for a whole day and is now back with the exact same code as it had before. Now I'm calling in favors with my usual shop that is booked up to pull all this apart and take a look at what exactly these clowns have done to my vehicle.

Blind_Io;n3553727 said:
The Xterra needed a new catalytic converter so I took it in to Master Muffler (my usual mechanic doesn't do exhaust welding) because they were highly recommended and had good reviews online. I was quoted $400 over the phone for the job, which seemed competitive to other places I called and cheaper than the dealership (not surprising). I took the vehicle in and before it was even pulled into the shop the price had mushroomed to $700+. Alright, maybe someone looked up the wrong part or didn't account for labor, mistakes happen and I need the work done to register the car.

When I get the car back it sounds like someone drilled holes in the muffler and the check engine light comes back on as soon as the computer resets itself. Now it's throwing a code for a bad O2 sensor - specifically the one right next to the catalytic converter that they welded on. The repair has a 2 year warranty, so I take it back.

They call me with a story about how they aren't responsible for the sensor and "there is no way to tell when it went bad, it was probably bad before it came in." When I told the guy that the car was not showing any O2 sensor codes before they worked on it, he said that the vehicle is "not capable" of showing more than one code at a time - which is an absolute lie for an OBDII vehicle, I've personally seen multiple codes at once. He wanted nearly $400 to replace the O2 sensor but at least he replaced the exhaust gaskets under warranty. Since it was Saturday and I'm now in a bind to get it registered by month's end, he has me over a barrel.

I'm now $1,100 into a $400 estimated repair. The Check Engine warning stayed off for a whole day and is now back with the exact same code as it had before. Now I'm calling in favors with my usual shop that is booked up to pull all this apart and take a look at what exactly these clowns have done to my vehicle.

Ummm... for $400 you could have easily gotten a bolt-on cat that required no welding. Also, the O2 sensor doesn't cost any $300+ and is easliy user replaceable. As in 30 minutes or less without jacking the truck up or anything. You are seriously being taken for a ride.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm2.staticflickr.com\/1921\/43963006965_abccb9b8b8_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 18.25.54

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm2.staticflickr.com\/1931\/43062326440_8580626b62_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 18.26.03

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm2.staticflickr.com\/1979\/43963011845_0964d23333_z.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 18.27.28

Last edited: