Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

it was also free. If I hadn't had gotten it I would be driving a rusty piece of junk that wouldn't start half the time.

Ok, but that doesn't mean its not a bad car. A bad car dynamically is far better than one that never works.

As long as they have tires bigger than 33, you are pretty safe running 10. You won't break a bead, but you might get mud in them, etc. I knew a guy who had 44s and he ran 4psi with no beadlocks and he never had any problems.
Huh, I learn something new everyday. One of them is running 33"s and the other has 35"s, iirc.

And NEVERMIND that smart cars need a waiting list and cost as much as a base level TDI jetta that has 5 seats and gets the same mileage....
:lmao: Bonk your mom on the head and tell her to get the Jetta. Has she even driven a smart car? Might as well just get a motorcycle.

Mother wants a smart car to replace the PT Cruiser. D:
This makes MY car, you know, the convertible, the transport stuff car. We get alive 8 foot christmas trees HOW ARE WE GOING TO MANAGE THAT?!
And NEVERMIND that smart cars need a waiting list and cost as much as a base level TDI jetta that has 5 seats and gets the same mileage....

I agree, Smarts are horrible value for money. I think it's over $21,000 here for a decent one. I'd take a Civic over it any day.

The only benefit might be in parking, and even in a city as big as mine you rarely find spots that small anyway.

Speaking of smarts, one pulled out infront of me today while I was driving to work in my Jeep. I was just thinking, if they had waited just a bit more, I would have hit it at 30mph, and that would have ended well for me and not for him. Also, about 100 yards down the road, an Escalade nearly changed lanes into the same smart car.

Ok, but that doesn't mean its not a bad car. A bad car dynamically is far better than one that never works.

*looks at your car list*
And you have an F-150, which Top Gear has called the most awful truck ever, my car as I recall, made the cool wall because it's flaws are mostly summarized by "It looks dumb and you can buy something better for the money" :p

:lmao: Bonk your mom on the head and tell her to get the Jetta. Has she even driven a smart car? Might as well just get a motorcycle.

No, and she has in fact banned me from ever having a motorcycle. A smart car is a moped with a roof. At least my small goofy car has a 4 star crash rating to back it up. Both me and my mother have personally crash tested New Beetles and were very pleased with the results other than sad the cars were hurt :(

I agree, Smarts are horrible value for money. I think it's over $21,000 here for a decent one. I'd take a Civic over it any day.

The only benefit might be in parking, and even in a city as big as mine you rarely find spots that small anyway.

I think if she wants an unreasonable car I will point out the new camaros are only a bit more than that. :lol:
But really 21k for a scooter with a roof COME ON. Long list of better things you can get for that.

*looks at your car list*
And you have an F-150, which Top Gear has called the most awful truck ever, my car as I recall, made the cool wall because it's flaws are mostly summarized by "It looks dumb and you can buy something better for the money" :p

You are correct, in Soviet Great Britain, I wouldn't drive an F150 either, but here in Texas, its perfect. It can tow my Jeep, haul a pallet of bricks and is really comfortable on the highway. :mrgreen:

You are correct, in Soviet Great Britain, I wouldn't drive an F150 either, but here in Texas, its perfect. It can tow my Jeep, haul a pallet of bricks and is really comfortable on the highway. :mrgreen:

And a convertible that can drive over snowbanks is perfect for me. :lol: It might not be fast but I believe it's been said convertibles are best at about 40 mph which is the speed that my car drives the best. I can good gas mileage if I cared about that more than fun, Which I don't so I get horrible mileage. I think my car is the perfect balance of fun and practicality.
All I need is to find a way to make a tiny plow for the front and I'll be good.

All I need is to find a way to make a tiny plow for the front and I'll be good.

B-VWBE98-VIZSSU.jpg

p19304_small+2000_Volkswagen_Beetle+Front_Bumper_View.jpg

You have a few options there :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just realized what the bottom one wants to be. :sick:

B-VWBE98-VIZSSU.jpg

p19304_small+2000_Volkswagen_Beetle+Front_Bumper_View.jpg

You have a few options there :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just realized what the bottom one wants to be. :sick:

:lol:
Except that would plow the snow into the grill. Though the first one might help the fact it is the most un-aerodynamic thing ever. The second one is horrible looking D:

:lol:
Except that would plow the snow into the grill. Though the first one might help the fact it is the most un-aerodynamic thing ever. The second one is horrible looking D:

Exactly. Grille goes to radiator, radiator melts snow, melted snow instantly freezes behind you, instant tailgater repellent. Kills two snowbirds with one stone. How hard can it be?

Speaking of smarts, one pulled out infront of me today while I was driving to work in my Jeep. I was just thinking, if they had waited just a bit more, I would have hit it at 30mph, and that would have ended well for me and not for him. Also, about 100 yards down the road, an Escalade nearly changed lanes into the same smart car.

The Smart Fortwo actually manages to hold itself together pretty well for something that looks like a deathtrap. I reference a Fifth Gear segment from a few years ago:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOn7OTd_iDk[/YOUTUBE]

The Smart Fortwo actually manages to hold itself together pretty well for something that looks like a deathtrap. I reference a Fifth Gear segment from a few years ago:
*snip*

That's all well and good, but if I would have hit the smart that pulled out in front of me, it would have been a t-bone at about a 30 degree angle. I suspect my Jeep would have annihilated it due to my heavy steel bumper bolted with grade 8 bolts to the rigid frame which is reinforced with a rollcage.

Wanna make your car better in the snow Mrs. Kat, This would be just fine I think...

volkswagen-beetle-dune-01.jpg

That's all well and good, but if I would have hit the smart that pulled out in front of me, it would have been a t-bone at about a 30 degree angle. I suspect my Jeep would have annihilated it due to my heavy steel bumper bolted with grade 8 bolts to the rigid frame which is reinforced with a rollcage.

That's probably true, the Smart could have even flipped into oncoming traffic if you hit it with enough force. But I was just saying they are sturdier than they look. I see quite a few in Ann Arbor and they make sense if you live in the city and don't have to move too much stuff around.

That's probably true, the Smart could have even flipped into oncoming traffic if you hit it with enough force. But I was just saying they are sturdier than they look. I see quite a few in Ann Arbor and they make sense if you live in the city and don't have to move too much stuff around.

That the thing, I don't care how strong your safety cell is, if you get hit by an F350, you will lose. You can't change the physics.

That the thing, I don't care how strong your safety cell is, if you get hit by an F350, you will lose. You can't change the physics.

Very true, I don't want to turn this into a Bigger is better argument, but a big truck with 5 star saftey and a small car with 5 star saftey, the truck is safer.

Very true, I don't want to turn this into a Bigger is better argument, but a big truck with 5 star saftey and a small car with 5 star saftey, the truck is safer.

"Kinetic Energy Equals Mass Times Velocity Squared."

"Kinetic Energy Equals Mass Times Velocity Squared."

Which is why even though my 4600 pound truck has a 3 star crash rating, I still feel fairly safe in it, because odds are it will weigh twice as much as whatever hits me/I hit.

Plus, in a small car it is much easier to avoid a crash compared to driving a huge pick up truck.

That depends on the small car.

vlcsnap-10650107.png

vlcsnap-10653174.png

"So {the steering wheel} is useless, then. I'll just drive it like this."

Last edited: