Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My friend from California just told me he found some Russian off road lights in his garage and wondered if I wanted them for my XTerra.

How do you say "Fuck yeah!" in Rooskie?

Make sure you check them with a Geiger counter. :p

Well, you know, sometimes secret societies just gotta use radioactive taggants to protect their stuff. Or you gotta get stuff back from Chernobyl, that sort of thing. :p

(Not where my nickname comes from, though, I assure you. :D )

Global warming is falling all over North Texas today so I went for a little drive.

Family said they're expecting 6 inches in the DFW area. How's that going? :lol:

Helsinki is pretty close to breaking it's all time snowfall record, and several Finnish cities have broken records of continuos below freezing temperatures. Global warming my ass.

Saw an X6 last week in some sub-zero temperatures and only the left tailpipe was smoking. Is the other one fake? :lol:

Just left the house to retrieve vital foodstuffs (Rum and salsa). I live off a main emergency route with a state highway depot on it - so it's always the first thing to get cleared, so the trucks can get everywhere else. TOTALLY not clear. They've got a couple BIGASSED front end loaders trying to clear one section where the snow has drifted up to about 10 feet.

Saw an X6 last week in some sub-zero temperatures and only the left tailpipe was smoking. Is the other one fake? :lol:

Actually no. On BMWs with dual exaust they run an x pipe and when the car is warming up a flap closes making the car have a single exaust system. It apperently helps warm it up faster

Most annoying used car viewing ever this morning.

I've been scanning the island classifieds lately for an early 80s Mercedes diesel. I saw one posted locally and called the guy up. He gave an honest sounding description of the car. A few gremlins here and there but solid and almost rust free.

Hes only about 10 minutes away so I head over and pull into his long driveway. He told me on the phone that he had been skidding logs out to the main road so his driveway was a little soupy, but shouldn't be a problem. With the constant rain the driveway was a mud pit but I managed to make it up to the workshop.

Mechanically, his description was accurate, but the body was rusty. Both rear doors had holes, the bottoms of the fenders had rusted away and the trunk had a huge dent. I dont mind driving an ugly car, but he was firm on his price of $2500. I said thanks but no thanks and headed off.

On the way out to the road I managed to drag the front, passenger side wheel throught the gravel. Apparently 12" winter tires and tired springs dont offer the best ground clearance. I got a handful of gravel/sand/mud jammed in the brakes which caused the most god awful screeching sound I've ever heard.

So I got to pull over and in the pouring rain and pull off the wheel and clean out the wheel/brakes/hub. I got as much as I could out by hand a had to use a empty washer fluid jug filled up with water from a stream down the road to flush out the rest of the crud.

Finally back home now and slightly annoyed/tired/filthy.

Sorry for the long story but I needed to vent somewhere.

The severe cold has taken its toll on the plastics in my 16-year-old Volvo. The plastic gear shifter knob started to crack.

Everything else is working flawlessly. The car handles beautifully in the snow.

We got snowned again - and now it's not only sticking to the ground, it's sticking to the roads.

gwma.jpg

We spotted IceBone here in Dallas, I think:

IMG_5177.JPG

More:

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

How deep is it?
IMG_5162.jpg

Last edited:
You still haven't fitted the high beam spotlights on the roof...I'm disappointed ;)

Snow in WV, where unscraped, reaches my...uhm....upper thigh :D

Last edited:
I've been busy moving stuff around and have to move my drill press and table into the shop before I can do that... bit I'll let CrazyJeeper explain what I've been up to. :D

Not as wordy as it could be, but it does get some of it across.

Should have seen that thing before we started 'work' on it in my little shop. :D