Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The problem is that sometimes German engineering 'logic' makes absolutely no sense in the real world. See: E32, W202, W140 V12...

In the interest of knowing as much useless information as possible, could you elaborate a bit?

My mom's XC70 has an icon that lights up when the temperature drops to a point there could be ice on the pavement. I never really saw the point of it since it is right next to the external temp display.

My 850 had a little red light to indicate the temperature was below freezing. Not only was it redundant, but it was unlabeled so I had no idea what it was indicating for months.

My 850 had a little red light to indicate the temperature was below freezing. Not only was it redundant, but it was unlabeled so I had no idea what it was indicating for months.

The light comes on between +2C and -5C to let you know that there might be black ice on the road. I never found it useful but it's not absolutely redundant either. Imagine that your teenage kid drives the car - he or she might not know (or care) how to change between the different trip computer displays, but you can tell them if the red light comes on they need to be extra careful and drive slower than usual.

The light comes on between +2C and -5C to let you know that there might be black ice on the road. I never found it useful but it's not absolutely redundant either. Imagine that your teenage kid drives the car - he or she might not know (or care) how to change between the different trip computer displays, but you can tell them if the red light comes on they need to be extra careful and drive slower than usual.

If my teenage son or daughter needed to be told to drive slower on ice, I wouldn't let them drive my car. It should be common sense!

I'd probably send them off the orphanage, and wonder how I failed as a petrol head parent. :lol:

If my teenage son or daughter needed to be told to drive slower on ice, I wouldn't let them drive my car. It should be common sense!

I'd probably send them off the orphanage, and wonder how I failed as a petrol head parent. :lol:

This is America, we are talking about here :p

i chose the most sensible German car I could find that still evokes some sort of driving and ownership pleasure, and accounted the eventual repairs/maintenance into the budget. The general idea was also to find one that requires the least of hassle with its maintenance schedule. I don't think this one is going to bite me in the ass.

My mom's XC70 has an icon that lights up when the temperature drops to a point there could be ice on the pavement. I never really saw the point of it since it is right next to the external temp display.

I liked the Mondeo's snowflake warning. Orange snowflake was snow possible, red snowflake was ice.

yup most modern cars have the snowflake thing (although mine are nowhere near as cool as the changing Mondeo one)
One thing though : it only works if the car's parked outside... I start my car in the garage and it's 10-15? there even if it's -10? outside.... so no "watch out slippery roads" warning

Or you could just tell them to look out for ice in general when it is cold out. If they don't know that they shouldn't be on the road.

Or you could just tell them to look out for ice in general when it is cold out. If they don't know that they shouldn't be on the road.

Thing is, black ice is not always immediately visible, especially under light snow cover. Sure, one should always watch out, but having an extra reminder just in case is definitely not wrong.

Thing is, black ice is not always immediately visible, especially under light snow cover. Sure, one should always watch out, but having an extra reminder just in case is definitely not wrong.

It should aways be assumed.

Always drive on snow assuming that there is black ice under it. No sudden acceleration or sudden steering movements.

Had my Civic Si serviced today and was checking out some of the used cars at the dealership. The price difference between these two had me scratching my head.

Goddamn Honda's and their goddamn resale value. :p

Well it did only have 22k miles, so it was pretty mint. The Corvette had 70k miles.

Always drive on snow assuming that there is black ice under it. No sudden acceleration or sudden steering movements.
Bingo.

If you're not thinking about it ahead of time, a little snowflake on your dash isn't going to make you think "hmm... maybe I shouldn't make any sudden motions with the wheel or pedals", either

Been living in various snowbelts for my entire life. It never ceases to amaze me the number of cars that end up ditched (or worse) at the first sign of snow, when everyone here should know better ***

*** exception being now that I live in BC's lower mainland. It rarely, if ever, snows, so I can understand when people are taken aback a bit. But once you leave the mainland to go either north (mountains) or east (mountains), it's all snow, all the time in the winter. Grew up in Eastern Ontario.... people there have zero excuse for lack of winter preparedness.

- - - Updated - - -

Had my Civic Si serviced today and was checking out some of the used cars at the dealership. The price difference between these two had me scratching my head.

Goddamn Honda's and their goddamn resale value. :p
That's just nuts. I just did a US nationwide search on them to see if that jibes and scarily enough, it does.

Since both cars are very rare here, I'll ask the question : is the Vette that cheap, or is the S2000 that expensive, or both?

A Honda S2000 with 70 k miles is around 6.5K euro monies here while a Vette is in the 25-30k? range

Nobody buys a Vette because fuel and taxes make it insanely expensive to run

Last edited:
yup most modern cars have the snowflake thing (although mine are nowhere near as cool as the changing Mondeo one)
One thing though : it only works if the car's parked outside... I start my car in the garage and it's 10-15? there even if it's -10? outside.... so no "watch out slippery roads" warning

Mine will tell you when the temperature drops to 4?C or lower while on the move as well :dunno:

Since both cars are very rare here, I'll ask the question : is the Vette that cheap, or is the S2000 that expensive, or both?
A bit of both, I'd say. It's hard to find a good, low mileage, unmolested S2000 here, so when you do, you have to pay good money for it. While Corvettes are very popular and only a small fraction of owners do much in the way of modifications, so you have a pretty good selection of untampered with examples to chose from.

A Honda S2000 with 70 k miles is around 6.5K euro monies here while a Vette is in the 25-30k? range

Nobody buys a Vette because fuel and taxes make it insanely expensive to run
A little bit of column "A", and a little bit of "B" as well. Hondas just have phenomenal resale value (at least for now), hence the lack of a significant drop from their 32-35k USD new. The 'vette is an American car, which, like it or not, just doesn't carry a great rep for long term reliability (even though that drivetrain is pretty damn strong), so they drop in price quite a bit more.

Nothing like Mercs or Jags though: Those drop to their knees faster than a prostitute on Rinaldo.