Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You don't have these?

[video=youtube;m-ktwN73Org]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ktwN73Org[/video]

We're talking about private persons' vehicles, not municipal or state owned equipment. Cities/towns and states do have those in the government fleets, but when we're talking about Jeeps and pickups plowing snow, it's people doing it in rural areas or clearing their own properties or neighborhoods, not entire towns.

Last edited:
Oh, ok. Most people around here have a household tractor for that.

Do it! I beasted it to work on Monday in the XJ. All those Michigan lefts that were left completely unplowed, no problem. My apartment complex plow service completely blocking in all cars, the Jeep went right through. It was a fun commute.

+1. The XJ even without great tires is fantastic in the snow. I pulled our neighbor's civic out of his parking spot after the local plowing company (snow removal for the townhome areas) plowed him into his spot.

Plus I went up to the old motorola campus in Arlington Heights, the enormous empty parking lots there make for some darn gud drifto. Went there with a buddy in his WRX on Sunday night, came back yesterday and their plow guys had plowed us a track in the snow XD

Although Crz, does yours have absolutely no grip at the rear whatsoever? 2wd is completely useless, I pretty much have to leave it in 4wd.

I'm not sure if that's becuase my more-worn tires are on the rear (unevenly worn, too. One side is about 4/32nds and the other is 9/32nds) or something native to the XJ.

Last edited:
Crz: Yes and no - as you know dealerships are willing to do a lot of parts swapping and customization on Mustangs that the factory won't do, which most dealers aren't necessarily willing to do for other marques or models.

Oh no doubt. The dealer offered to do everything I wanted for me after delivery, but the costs are just insane. The pony mirrors I wanted were like a $200 option at the factory, but the dealer wanted $600 for parts and labor. Factory stripes are a $400 option, but to have the dealer do it would cost $1600.

That and at the time, I was strongly anti-modding the car so I would've been annoyed that the Monroney wouldn't match.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the dealers had something to do with this system so they're not stuck with an "unsellable" car if someone orders a weird combination of options and then backs out of the deal. Plus, for those who insist the dealer then can make some money on the parts swap.

Nawww. Thats how I ended getting such a good deal on my car. The dealer ordered it for another customer, but when it was delivered, he had some financial issues and couldn't get approved for a loan so the dealer ended up being stuck with the car. It sat on their lot for a few months because who in their right mind would buy a green Mustang with Recaros but without the track pack, and with the dumb subwoofer and rearview camera. The answer is no one.... no one but me that is.

And the dealer that ordered my first car and tried to screw me on my TT trade.... they got stuck with that car for at least a 4 months.

Last edited:
Oh, ok. Most people around here have a household tractor for that.

We used to do that, but the tractor is probably 40 years old at this point and a truck with a plow proved to be much more effective and time efficient. We actually used to use a K5 Blazer as well but it rusted out and my dad wanted something a bit more fun.

Looks like after 250k km, the intercooler hose on my car has developed a leak. It's not bad enough to merit replacing, but I asked for a quote anyway. Not including labour (it's a piece of cake to replace anyway, so they said that'd be free), ?258.

I found a shop on ebay.de selling them for ?35, delivered.

Fuck this, I'm replacing it myself.

Dunno. I guess "Has more insurance" correlates with "Crashes less".

... Which makes even less sense.

I keep my XR350R insured even though it isn't road legal because it lowered my premium.

So apparently owning more vehicles also means crashes less? :dunno:

Tried it. It's fun!

You used the wrong vehicle! It shoulda been a Pug!

- - - Updated - - -

I keep my XR350R insured even though it isn't road legal because it lowered my premium.

So apparently owning more vehicles also means crashes less? :dunno:

Yep you get discounts for more than one car, whenever I quote dumping both cars for one my premium increases. In fact way back in the day before I got the Z and was contemplating getting a G sedan, replacing Scoob with G would cost me $70 more than adding one to the other...

Would love to try that...

Tried it. It's fun!

I did it when I took my license. The car in our case was a Volvo 740 that for some reason had the seat adjustment rails taken out. Everything was just welded and bolted in place. I got to "drive" the thing and realized that the seating position was set for someone the size of Hammond. I'm more Clarkson-sized.

Yes, I eventually got out but it wasn't very pretty or dignified. Also, a pro tip: take care when you undo the seatbelt because you'll fall on your face.

Last edited:
Looks like after 250k km, the intercooler hose on my car has developed a leak. It's not bad enough to merit replacing, but I asked for a quote anyway. Not including labour (it's a piece of cake to replace anyway, so they said that'd be free), ?258.

I found a shop on ebay.de selling them for ?35, delivered.

Fuck this, I'm replacing it myself.

Are the stock ones plastic? Go with silicone.

Oh no doubt. The dealer offered to do everything I wanted for me after delivery, but the costs are just insane. The pony mirrors I wanted were like a $200 option at the factory, but the dealer wanted $600 for parts and labor. Factory stripes are a $400 option, but to have the dealer do it would cost $1600.

Nobody said it wouldn't cost. :D Again, though, it's pretty much the only remaining non-exotic you can get that done on.