Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Eh. Pennsylvania highways are littered with abandoned cars.

The cleanup speed seems to vary state to state and road to road mainly by how many fucks the relevant cops give. There are some locally policed stretches of US-30 where abandoned vehicles will sit for MONTHS. In Maryland, just a few miles away you get 2 days max.

Last edited:
Our motorways up here north of DFW are littered with "throw away" cars. Usually lower income people buy shit cheap cars then when they break they move on and buy another $500~1,000 car. If they get 9-12 months out of it they "scored".

Our motorways up here north of DFW are littered with "throw away" cars. Usually lower income people buy shit cheap cars then when they break they move on and buy another $500~1,000 car. If they get 9-12 months out of it they "scored".

:lol:

Currently 2 of these in the 5 mile drive between my apartment and work which have been there for a week.

Pick them up at police auctions for dirt cheap. Wrench them up to barely drivable. Throwaway spec Lemons Series.... even more throwaway than it already is.

Speaking of dead cars on the side of the road....

Saw this in Utah.

7YOtHwG.png

aQI6F4G.png

Looked like 50s-60s American metal.

Saw this in Utah.

Yup, Just south of Nephi.

The pile has been growing over the years, but I dont think anything down there could be saved without a hell of a lot of work; and none of it's probably worth saving either.

There's this:

in-between the two Spanish Fork exits too. Most of those could probably be saved, though again, I don't think any of them are really 'valuable'.

Hell, given the fact that they are all arranged now (they didn't use to be) some of them might even run as-is....

Last edited:
Yup, Just south of Nephi.

The pile has been growing over the years, but I dont think anything down there could be saved without a hell of a lot of work; and none of it's probably worth saving either.

Never underestimate how much work people put into cars to get them roadworth again. I?ve posted videos from this channel before, but this one has been making the rounds online lately and is the most extreme I?ve see.

[video=youtube;wR2f-q4WPfs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2f-q4WPfs[/video]

Most people would?ve said repairing that isn?t worth it.

There's this:

in-between the two Spanish Fork exits too. Most of those could probably be saved, though again, I don't think any of them are really 'valuable'.

Hell, given the fact that they are all arranged now (they didn't use to be) some of them might even run as-is....

Saw those too. But we have similar displays to that around here.

Last edited:
Never underestimate how much work people put into cars to get them roadworth again. I?ve posted videos from this channel before, but this one has been making the rounds online lately and is the most extreme I?ve see.

[video=youtube;wR2f-q4WPfs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2f-q4WPfs[/video]

Most people would?ve said repairing that isn?t worth it.
I would be one of those people, it's a common enough 7 series not much point in fixing it.

I can't help but wonder about one thing - crash protection after this repair. This YouTube comment pretty much says what I mean:

people envious? No not at all, just shocked that people still repair cars in this way. Yes he has body repair skills but he has no idea about modern repair techniques. This car is now extremely unsafe and dangerous. If it is involved in another collision the occupants could easily be killed as the structural integrity is now virtually non existent. Modern cars are designed to crumple, deform and absorb impacts, the way this car has been repaired has dramatically reduced the way it will perform if involved in another collision.?

I can't help but wonder about one thing - crash protection after this repair. This YouTube comment pretty much says what I mean:

I was thinking something similar, he didn?t paint aka rust protect a lot of internal places where he took paint off for welding.

Even with that said it was pretty impressive. The panel gap was pretty spot on.

Saw this in Utah.

7YOtHwG.png

aQI6F4G.png

That's along I-15. I can t remember exactly where, but I think it is between I-70 and Beaver.

That's along I-15. I can t remember exactly where, but I think it is between I-70 and Beaver.

Top left corner of the top image, I-15 is pointing at Mt. Nebo.

This is about 10 or 15 minutes South of Nephi. It's harder to see from the SB side, but heading south, I would be just after you've pulled that first larger hill, and are in the little ups-and-downs before dropping down into the Mills exit.

I've driven that stretch of I-15 literally countless times. Seriously, I tried to figure it, but the best I could do using estimates and averages is somewhere in the several hundred times range in the last 5 to 8 years.

Yep, you're right.

For some reason I was thinking it was farther south. There are some other junked cars along side the freeway down there.

Additional heating in vents is nice. Warm air after 2 minutes with 3?C ambient. Saudi took at least 10. :heart:

Look at what Musk twattered about today:

MZfjvYT.png

Isn't the point of a semi truck long range? Just how are they going to justify delays if they have to stop for hours every hundred miles?

Isn't the point of a semi truck long range? Just how are they going to justify delays if they have to stop for hours every hundred miles?

Presumably they have that figured out...... You can haul 1 20lb box because the rest of the trailer is batteries.