Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The head-gasket problem existed, but Subaru seems to have gotten it under control.
I'm on my second Subaru and may very well buy another if I sell my Jetta.
I haven't had a head gasket problem with either of mine.
None of my Subaru-driving friends have had to replace head gaskets for the last I-don't-keep-track number of years.

That said, piston-slap, sticky A/T valves and rear-wheel bearings can all be irritations; but just about every car has some weak links. I've driven dozens of different AWD cars and (outside of the early Quattros), Subies are my favorites.

Just my 2 cents.

SL

It was my understanding they resolved that around 2003.

Blind_Io;n3544072 said:
It was my understanding they resolved that around 2003.

My understanding is that any EJ series motor is susceptible to that issue regardless of age. Jury is still out on the FA

prizrak;n3544075 said:
My understanding is that any EJ series motor is susceptible to that issue regardless of age. Jury is still out on the FA

Second this. The latest EJ headgasket redesign has helped some but it doesn't solve the problem - there are already cars coming back with popped headgaskets.

And that's before you get into the glass autotragics, though I assume you'd buy the manual.

Last edited:
Yes, I would be looking only at manual transmissions.

I'm open to other ideas, but I like the idea of an AWD car with good ground clearance and AWD. I was drawn to Subaru because of the car-like profile and AWD system that isn't an afterthought FWD. If anyone has any ideas that compete, I would love some alternatives.

Edit: a hatchback may be an option, but it isn't my first choice. Maybe a Focus with a manual instead of that glass DSG.

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3544081 said:
Yes, I would be looking only at manual transmissions.

I'm open to other ideas, but I like the idea of an AWD car with good ground clearance and AWD. I was drawn to Subaru because of the car-like profile and AWD system that isn't an afterthought FWD. If anyone has any ideas that compete, I would love some alternatives.

Edit: a hatchback may be an option, but it isn't my first choice. Maybe a Focus with a manual instead of that glass DSG.

Ahem, you forgot something that's an AWD car with good ground clearance, car like profile and AWD that isn't patched FWD. They're also at a good price these days as people finally trade in/up:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.motorcar.com\/used-2006-infiniti-fx35-2ownerneverseensnownofloodnonsmokerandaccidentfree-12734-16523231-1-640.jpg"}[/IMG2]

However, Kiki would probably appreciate it if you skipped the 03 FX45 (03 FX35 is fine). The 03 FX45 was infamous for having a 'sporting' ride that made women want to wear double or tripled sports bras for support. Fixed in 04 with the non-sport suspension option and retuning of the sport option.

Last edited:
That is waaaay more car than I need or want. The MPG isn't much better than the Xterra.

Blind_Io;n3544190 said:
That is waaaay more car than I need or want. The MPG isn't much better than the Xterra.

The headgaskets aren't made from tofu in them and since there's no huge fanboi horde following them the prices are reasonable.

Blind_Io;n3544190 said:
I don't remember my Outback having much better MPG than the X either. The 5th was too low for highway, it would sit at like 3k @60 was rather obnoxious in the noise department as well. And IIRC only the GT Spec B got a 6th gear, rest were still running the 5 speed. (not counting the STi obviously)

Last edited:
And if you get a turbo Subaru, you pay out the ass for premium gas. Plus it'll smell like vape.

prizrak;n3544224 said:
I don't remember my Outback having much better MPG than the X either. The 5th was too low for highway, it would sit at like 3k @60 was rather obnoxious in the noise department as well. And IIRC only the GT Spec B got a 6th gear, rest were still running the 5 speed. (not counting the STi obviously)

Correct on the 6spd rarity (from 2010 the story changes on the Legacy and a specific 6 speed variant appears)

The 5MT had a few flavors, though.
Up to 03, they had a .780 5th.

03 to 2011, .871.

Outbacks from 96 to 99 got the .871.

WRX 5 speeds got a .735

2012 up got .738.

NonWRX turbo cars 2003 and up got .738.

And then there's the diff ratio, which is mostly split on turbo or not.

This level of fiddly detail is why when you're swapping a Subaru trans, you may as well grab the rear diff, too. At least that way you know they match.

Last edited:
EyeMWing;n3544237 said:
Correct on the 6spd rarity (from 2010 the story changes on the Legacy and a specific 6 speed variant appears)

The 5MT had a few flavors, though.
Up to 03, they had a .780 5th.

03 to 2011, .871.

Outbacks from 96 to 99 got the .871.

WRX 5 speeds got a .735

2012 up got .738.

NonWRX turbo cars 2003 and up got .738.

And then there's the diff ratio, which is mostly split on turbo or not.

This level of fiddly detail is why when you're swapping a Subaru trans, you may as well grab the rear diff, too. At least that way you know they match.

So I wonder what my Legacy Outback would be then :p

So umm... one of the connectors for the rear defroster fell off the glass... How the eff do I fix that? It looks like it was held with some adhesive.

I know the pic pic is pretty crappy as you can imagine it’s a difficult angle

There are repair kits made just for that. I have not had to use one myself, but I would just make sure the glass is really clean before beginning.

Here are a couple of kits. I've never had to use either, so I can't recommend one.
https://www.autodoorandhardware.com/CRL-Loctite-Rear-Window-Defogger-Tab-Adhesive-p/1223351.htm
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-21351-Rear-Window-Defogger-Tab-Adhesive-Each/48341721

I'd say that this is the same product in two different packages. Permatex and Loctite are related product lines and the part numbers are the same.

SL

GRtak;n3544306 said:
There are repair kits made just for that. I have not had to use one myself, but I would just make sure the glass is really clean before beginning.
prizrak;n3544301 said:
So umm... one of the connectors for the rear defroster fell off the glass... How the eff do I fix that? It looks like it was held with some adhesive.

Thanks guys, looks like I might need to wait till it warms up though, suggested ambient temp is 60

The cheapest new pickup truck available in the US is over $20,000. When did that happen? I had it in my head that there were still bottom-of-the-line base models for, like, $16k or something. Shows how closely I follow trucks...

I miss my '97 Ranger. :( Base price on those were $11070, adjusted for inflation is around $17,200.

Last edited:
NecroJoe;n3544329 said:
The cheapest new pickup truck available in the US is over $20,000. When did that happen? I had it in my head that there were still bottom-of-the-line base models for, like, $16k or something. Shows how closely I follow trucks...

I miss my '97 Ranger. :( Base price on those were $11070, adjusted for inflation is around $17,200.

Apparently if you want one at that price ,you have to go to a major city and wait for year's end

Go look for last years models that are still on the lot. They are far and few between at this point, but you might get a nice deal.

Was randomly browsing Crutchfield, not really planning on getting anything but curious what is out there these days in the aftermarket. For some reason both the aftermarket dash kits remove factory HVAC controls and replace them with either a shitty touch screen or an interface that puts them on a separate screen in the head unit. The latter is even worse because while it has programmable hardware buttons, there are not enough of them to have full controls. Now I can understand that perhaps the factory HU is integrated with HVAC controls (stupid but OK), then why not simply replace them with another analog module?
This is the first one, the two cool things is that the HVAC controls can be either on top or bottom and the little HVAC screen can actually do some OBD2 gauges/diagnostic stuff.
297dd0ff-4a16-48e9-ae1a-3dfd87705471.jpg

This is the second one, the fact that it retains factory LCD screen and has a little storage pocket is pretty cool but having to always access a separate screen for HVAC will get old real quick.
g794KMUS1-F.jpg

Last edited: