Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

prizrak;n3544658 said:
That is both amazing and insane at the same time.

^ This.

CraigB;n3544676 said:
Yeah, but you know if you could, you would too... :D

Who wouldn't? Oh yea, hybrid hippies and Tesla hipsters. ;)

Getting a new-to-you diff where the input flange is rusty and makes a grindy noise against the diff housing is annoying.
Taking it apart and cleaning it up a little so the grinding is less noisy is fairly easy.
Putting it in the car is a bitch and requires approximately 6 hands even with a trans lift.
Discovering it has the wrong fucking input flange is REALLY ANNOYING.
Removing the input flange while it's in the car isn't hard.
Installing an input flange while it's in the car is mildly difficult.
It is not possible to torque that fucking nut while it's in the car.

Worst part is that the "wrong" input flange had a square pattern that perfectly matched my Subaru Service Tool for holding the harmonic balancer pulley during torquing. The "right" flange did not match it (otherwise it would have been the wrong flange).

The swapped flange doesn't make the grindy noise, though, so heyyyy.

In additional annoying things, finding a torn CV boot, being unable to source a CV boot on a reasonable schedule, settling for one of those bullshit split-boots (which are neither cheaper, faster nor easier than putting a real boot on), going through the disaster of installing it AND THEN noticing that you have a perfectly cromulent axle with two good boots sitting in your parts stash is rather irritating. I'd checked yesterday, but I swear both axles had at least one torn boot.

I'm going to use the split-booted axle, if only because I'm curious if these things even work.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I'm putting the 9000 up for sale and despite thinking about FXs am still looking at newer Saabs like 9-5s and 9-3s.

I know of a dealer that still has new ones in stock.

No, I won't tell you where they are located. You deserve a better car than that. ;)

Nah, none of those full-GM ones for me. I'd rather go a bit older (2003-2005 for the 9-5s).

Labcoatguy;n3544785 said:
Meanwhile, I'm putting the 9000 up for sale and despite thinking about FXs am still looking at newer Saabs like 9-5s and 9-3s.

Have you seen your doctor about that? There are broad spectrum anti-fungals that can help.

LeVeL;n3544783 said:
Sold my Miata two days ago. Already looking to buy another one. More specifically, considering trading in the TL for an NC PRHT GT - i.e. power hard top, heater leather, HIDs, etc. I friggin' love Miatas.

That just makes no sense to me, not you liking miatas that I get but getting a “GT” miata seems like it defeats the purpose

prizrak;n3544819 said:
That just makes no sense to me, not you liking miatas that I get but getting a “GT” miata seems like it defeats the purpose
Drives the same as any other Miata but has the creature comforts I want in a daily driver. What's the problem?

LeVeL;n3544859 said:
Drives the same as any other Miata but has the creature comforts I want in a daily driver. What's the problem?

Does it though? All that stuff adds weight!

Is this becoming more common with other states? This is awful.

93Flareside;n3544864 said:

They're called "ghost cruisers" - Houston's had them for the better part of a decade.

Kiki says we should buy an MX-5.

So at the risk of throwing a grenade into the room: Which Miata is Best Miata?

(Ducks)

Last edited:
93Flareside;n3544864 said:

At least they still use police-ish vehicles? Over here, they have an ungodly supply of unmarked vehicles. I've been pulled over by an Accord, and you see Camrys, Mustangs, Dodge pickups, and hell, even minivans pull over poor unsuspecting souls.

Last edited: