Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I had to buy a battery for the truck last week. I ended up buying the biggest one that would fit in the hole because it was the cheapest option despite being more powerful(850 CCA vs 650), and having a longer warranty(5 year vs 3). Maybe they just sell a lot more of that battery and get a discount because they order more.

Really just glad I can jump into it on a 90F day and have it start right up.

I also used the experience to have my nephew help me out and give him a few lessons about auto repair. I think I scared him a bit when I described how shorting the battery to ground can result in the battery exploding. He looked at me and said, "I thought only cell phone batteries could explode".

I almost built a battery pack out of 18650 LI ion cells instead. The only real problem I have is the age of the cells I have, and the fact I would have needed some more to complete it. I think I will use then to make a new jump box instead.

Would having higher cold crank potentially kill the starter?

Not that I am aware of. It is still a 12V battery, just has a higher capacity. The starter will still only be able to draw what it is capable of.

EDIT:

Years ago I had a Blazer I used a lot off road and I ran 2 full batteries in it without any problems. I used a setup similar to what was used in the GM vehicles that had the Oldsmobile diesel engine in it. Still 12 volts, just 2 batteries that are run in parallel.

Last edited:
GRtak is right, no matter your available power devices can only draw as much as they draw. It's like using a ladle to get something out of a bucket, doesn't matter how big the bucket is the ladle will only hold so much.

Last edited:
prizrak;n3550585 said:
Must be a Toyota module, please tell me you don't use CC in a damn Challenger.
Due to the nature of my drives and the geography, very rarely. But if I’m on a sweeping highway where I’ll be trundling along in sixth gear for long periods, why wouldn’t I use it (recall issue notwithstanding)?

Because if you didn't wanna drive shoulda taken a damn taxi (or made someone else drive), first you use cruise control, next you get an automatic and before you know it you are espousing the greatness of you new Tesla.

You seem quite upset. Cruise control is lovely if you want/need to drive for hours on end on flat roads. and it lets you take in the scenery (and in Jim's case, the glorious V8 soundtrack). Then when you get to a twisty bit, hit cancel, drop down a couple of cogs and enjoy :evil:

JimCorrigan;n3550589 said:
Due to the nature of my drives and the geography, very rarely. But if I’m on a sweeping highway where I’ll be trundling along in sixth gear for long periods, why wouldn’t I use it (recall issue notwithstanding)?

Super-dumb question, how does CC maintain speed on hills with a manual? Obviously your Challenger has enough torque to just throttle through things, but on a lesser car how does it deal with hills without the ability to automatically downshift?

It will bog down and struggle until you downshift yourself, which ends the cruise control. I honestly don't know what would happen if you just left it until stalling point. I suppose it would either stall or disable cruise at some threshhold. It's not something that happens often for me, maybe would be a real issue in very low powered-vehicles.

Last edited:
I don't remember a 100% but from what I remember of reading the manual for the Z, CC only works above a certain speed theoretically if it struggles to maintain speed it will turn off.
EDIT: From the Mustang manual:
FoMoCo said:
• If the vehicle speed decreases more than 10 mph (16 km/h) below
your set speed on an uphill, your speed control will disengage.

EDIT2: For Xterra:
Nissan said:
● the vehicle slows down more than 8 MPH
(13 km/h) below the set speed.

Last edited:
Because if you didn't wanna drive shoulda taken a damn taxi (or made someone else drive), first you use cruise control, next you get an automatic and before you know it you are espousing the greatness of you new Tesla.
I think you better switch to decaf.

Were you to actually drive a rural setting, on roads where you rarely see another human for literally minutes at a time, where you will maintain a steady speed (therefore no shifting) for hours on end, cruise control becomes a wonderful driving companion. Last I checked, I still have to steer and watch for potential hazards, so in no way am I less involved. I just get to relax my right foot and consume less gas (just because I drive a gas guzzler doesn’t mean I can’t be frugal in the one instance I have opportunity to do so).

Am I encroaching on your front lawn, grandpa? :p

Cruise control is first step to a self driving car :p
Are power steering, power brakes, and ABS also on your list of things associated with the axles of evil?

You seem quite upset. Cruise control is lovely if you want/need to drive for hours on end on flat roads. and it lets you take in the scenery (and in Jim's case, the glorious V8 soundtrack). Then when you get to a twisty bit, hit cancel, drop down a couple of cogs and enjoy :evil:
If only I could + rep you on this current forum :)

Super-dumb question, how does CC maintain speed on hills with a manual? Obviously your Challenger has enough torque to just throttle through things, but on a lesser car how does it deal with hills without the ability to automatically downshift?
Victor and prizrak explained it already better than I could. Not a dumb question. Ever since I got my license (24 years ago, oy!) I’ve always been taught on its optimal use (described above), so that scenario never really occurs for me. As you can imagine, living where I do I rarely even get the opportunity to use cruise because of sudden elevation changes, but on gradual hills or sweepers, like BC-19 north of me, or BC-99 south of Richmond heading to Washington State, where I do use it I won’t encounter that possibility.

Hey, sorry for being AWOL for so long but that offer for you and your SO to come visit still stands anytime. Last fall was not good because of mourning.

Thanks, I just sent this to a friend with an affected Cherokee.
You’re welcome! :)

After having done nearly 1000 miles in my Acclaim over the last 3 weeks I dearly wish I had cruise control and air conditioning....

Plodding along the motorway at 65mph with my right foot slowly going numb and my right ear slowly going deaf due to the window being down to combat the heat is no fun at all. An FM radio or any sort of aux input would also be nice...

JimCorrigan;n3550645 said:
I think you better switch to decaf.
Decaf is for women!

Were you to actually drive a rural setting, on roads where you rarely see another human for literally minutes at a time, where you will maintain a steady speed (therefore no shifting) for hours on end, cruise control becomes a wonderful driving companion. Last I checked, I still have to steer and watch for potential hazards, so in no way am I less involved. I just get to relax my right foot and consume less gas (just because I drive a gas guzzler doesn’t mean I can’t be frugal in the one instance I have opportunity to do so).
I have done long drives with very little traffic (East coast of US is pretty populated so you don't get no one for minutes at a time but sparse enough in places to use CC). I have used CC maybe 4 times in my life, once in my Audi for like a mile before I couldn't deal with it anymore, once in the Scoob to save fuel after Sandy and twice in the X because of all the cars that one actually does give me a foot cramp. Rest of the cars, including a 12 hour drive in the Z I used my right foot BECAUSE THAT'S WHY IT'S THERE!

Am I encroaching on your front lawn, grandpa? :p
My curb, remember NY no lawns :p

Are power steering, power brakes, and ABS also on your list of things associated with the axles of evil?
Those are not self driving technologies, now TC/VDC type stuff is evil. Though I personally see little point in ABS drove a car where it died and didn't have any real issues with threshold braking.
captain_70s;n3550655 said:
After having done nearly 1000 miles in my Acclaim over the last 3 weeks I dearly wish I had cruise control and air conditioning....

Plodding along the motorway at 65mph with my right foot slowly going numb and my right ear slowly going deaf due to the window being down to combat the heat is no fun at all. An FM radio or any sort of aux input would also be nice...

A/C is basically a requirement for me, if your foot is going numb you need a better foot :p

Last edited: