X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrzRsn
    started a topic Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There's plenty of car related news out there that doesn't deserve its own thread, but at the same time you want to share it and not have it get lost forever in the complete randomness of the Off-Topic Random Thoughts thread.

So I decided to make a Random Thoughts thread for automotive stories/news bits/links.

Heres my little bit of news..

I found a really interesting website while looking at 4 door convertibles yesterday.
    http://www.bentleyspotting.com/
    Its a spotting/fan site for Bentleys and Rollers, but the person running it knows what hes talking about (or rips off people that do)
    Took me about 30 minutes to browse through their whole archive, and they have some very very interesting cars and stories in there (along with a fair amount of Bentley carbage).

• gaasc
    replied
    Okay...who else is up for flying there and torching that thing?

EDIT: so some sleuthing around your local AutoTrader has provided us with some local and considerably less crappy alternatives to replace your Triumph. For example, this 190, this other 190, and this Accord(TSX for Americans)for something more modern but still pretty good for driving.

Again, DO NOT FIX THE (lack of anything resembling a) TRIUMPH

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied
    Originally posted by Labcoatguy View Post
    What else are you going to idiotically ignore this time around?

Bets on whether replacement engine also has knocking or other horrible problems he'll ignore as well?

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied
    Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
    It seems silly to scrap a car I've just fitted a new rotor arm to and recently lubricated the carburettor linkages on for something as trivial as an engine...
    Dear UK FGers: Please dispatch some youths to burn this thing down and save captain70s from himself.

Leave a comment:

• Labcoatguy
    replied
    What else are you going to idiotically ignore this time around?
    ignoring a pronounced bottom end knock for 6 years and 11,000 miles

Leave a comment:

• captain_70s
    replied
    It seems silly to scrap a car I've just fitted a new rotor arm to and recently lubricated the carburettor linkages on for something as trivial as an engine...

Leave a comment:

• narf
    replied
    And while you're at it, maybe a modern body around that modern engine?

Leave a comment:

• GRtak
    replied
    Did I just witness somebody shoot themselves in the foot, sit down, and formulate a plan to do it again?

For your own sanity Cap, put a modern engine in it.

Leave a comment:

• gaasc
    replied

Plans are already in place to pull the engine out at the side of the road outside my flat and drop in an identical one from a Mk4 Spitfire.

Buy a W201, or a crappy E30. Buy the cheapest non-rusted Mazda 3 in the continent, follow Blind's suggestion, ANYTHING! Anything but resurrecting that thing.

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied

Plans are already in place to pull the engine out at the side of the road outside my flat and drop in an identical one from a Mk4 Spitfire.

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results." - Narcotics Anonymous
    Dude, you need to get help.

Leave a comment:

• captain_70s
    replied
    Originally posted by Spectre View Post

Please tell us that you're going to finally scrap that POS and not dump another fortune in time or money into resurrecting that thing yet again?

Plans are already in place to pull the engine out at the side of the road outside my flat and drop in an identical one from a Mk4 Spitfire. Not only will I be fixing the car, but I will not be improving it in any way in the process.

Leave a comment:

• BerserkerCatSplat
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeMWing View Post
    Works on my machine. Lets just go ahead and blame the forums.

Here's the teaser image again:
    NP231?

Leave a comment:

• Blind_Io
    replied
    Mandatory "LS Swap" comment.

Leave a comment:

• CraigB
    replied
    Originally posted by ScarFace88 View Post
    What is it with Lockerbie and things blowing up?
    Too soon?

Leave a comment:

• ScarFace88
    replied
    In a shocking turn of events it transpires that ignoring a pronounced bottom end knock for 6 years and 11,000 miles will not simply cause it to fix itself. Indeed a big end bearing may well attempt an escape at 65mph on the A74 just outside Lockerbie.

What is it with Lockerbie and things blowing up?

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied
    In a shocking turn of events it transpires that ignoring a pronounced bottom end knock for 6 years and 11,000 miles will not simply cause it to fix itself. Indeed a big end bearing may well attempt an escape at 65mph on the A74 just outside Lockerbie.

Please tell us that you're going to finally scrap that POS and not dump another fortune in time or money into resurrecting that thing yet again?

Leave a comment:

• gaasc
    replied
    That's it! you're getting a 5-year old CR-V

Leave a comment:

• captain_70s
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeMWing
    replied
    Works on my machine. Lets just go ahead and blame the forums.

Here's the teaser image again:

Leave a comment:

• Der Stig
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeMWing View Post
    Awhile ago (uh, November 2017) I bought a project car.

Finally getting around to projecting it.

I'll unveil it tomorrow.

Here's a hint:
    ‚Äč
    Image be broke!

And I just got rid of my POS project vehicle!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X