X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrzRsn
    started a topic Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There's plenty of car related news out there that doesn't deserve its own thread, but at the same time you want to share it and not have it get lost forever in the complete randomness of the Off-Topic Random Thoughts thread.

So I decided to make a Random Thoughts thread for automotive stories/news bits/links.

Heres my little bit of news..

I found a really interesting website while looking at 4 door convertibles yesterday.
    http://www.bentleyspotting.com/
    Its a spotting/fan site for Bentleys and Rollers, but the person running it knows what hes talking about (or rips off people that do)
    Took me about 30 minutes to browse through their whole archive, and they have some very very interesting cars and stories in there (along with a fair amount of Bentley carbage).

• Spectre
    replied
    Originally posted by prizrak View Post

I'm gonna bring my X, the Stang and have my buddy drive his Durango over as well just to really fuck with that guy
    I know someone who can rent us three Excursions for maximum effect.

Leave a comment:

• prizrak
    replied
    Originally posted by gaasc View Post

Do you want me to bring my Impala 'round?
    I'm gonna bring my X, the Stang and have my buddy drive his Durango over as well just to really fuck with that guy

Leave a comment:

• captain_70s
    replied
    Originally posted by NecroJoe View Post
    Oh, man... You guys are going to love this...
    This is a recent post from my neighbors on NextDoor:
    T'other week a woman who lives in my building accused me of running an unlicensed car trading business illegally on the basis of me having so many cars. She also complained I was taking up parking spaces and it was hard for residents to park despite the fact she neither has a car nor drives.

The really daft thing is that I use one car to go to work every day anyway and use both of them regularly, unlike several cars on my street which only move once or twice a month and often sit there illegally with no tax/MOT. They just aren't quite as noticeable as my own cars I suppose...

Leave a comment:

• 93Flareside
    replied

Fuck NextDoor. It’s for housewives with no friends.

Leave a comment:

• NecroJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by gaasc View Post

What I found most hilarious how they were encouraging everyone else to buy smaller cars because it makes their life easier, and even pointed out two other people who did it...but never mentioned they did, or ever would...only that they would appreciate it if everyone else did.

Leave a comment:

• gaasc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GRtak
    replied
    ScarFace88 , I would replace the thermostat as a precaution. It is a cheap part that may be sticking randomly.

SquareLeft , Some epoxy should have fixed that tank right up. Where was your racing ingenuity when you needed it?

Leave a comment:

• SquareLeft
    replied
    Originally posted by ScarFace88 View Post
    So my GTO randomly overheated yesterday... Let it cool down for about 20 minutes, then tried to limp it to my mechanic. I got about 3 or 4 blocks before the alert chime started back up. I then let it cool down for another 15-20 minutes and added about a liter or so of distilled water to the overflow tank. After I added the water, the car behaved perfectly fine, the temp gauge stayed at just below halfway. When my mechanic looked it over, he couldn't find a leak or anything wrong with it, the fans work and everything was intact.
    I had something similar happen with my Focus. The dealer was finally able to diagnose the problem, which was a tiny leak in the seam of the overflow tank (now known as a 'degas bottle'). Happened after the warranty expired, so I was out $146.25 for that problem.

Leave a comment:

• NecroJoe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ScarFace88
    replied
    So my GTO randomly overheated yesterday... Let it cool down for about 20 minutes, then tried to limp it to my mechanic. I got about 3 or 4 blocks before the alert chime started back up. I then let it cool down for another 15-20 minutes and added about a liter or so of distilled water to the overflow tank. After I added the water, the car behaved perfectly fine, the temp gauge stayed at just below halfway. When my mechanic looked it over, he couldn't find a leak or anything wrong with it, the fans work and everything was intact. WTF?

Leave a comment:

• Redliner
    replied
    Same reason: crappy roads.

Leave a comment:

• prizrak
    replied
    Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post

That’s a lot of sidewall....
    Not that much
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 93Flareside
    replied
    Originally posted by Redliner View Post
    My first car had 165/70R13. Some Unos left the factory with 145/80R13
    That’s a lot of sidewall....

Leave a comment:

• captain_70s
    replied
    Originally posted by Blind_Io View Post
    165 is "ultra wide"?
    Only in sarcastic terms. It still looks like it's on bicycle wheels from behind.

Acclaims had varying tyre sizes on the same 13" steel wheels depending on trim. Base spec Ls had 145, mid range HL/HLS got 155s and top spec CDs got 165s. Base spec Acclaims actually have narrower tyres than the Dolomite (155/80/R13 as standard) which it replaced, a car dating from 1970... It only has to transfer 70bhp to the ground though so it doesn't really need much more.

Leave a comment:

• Redliner
    replied
    My first car had 165/70R13. Some Unos left the factory with 145/80R13

Leave a comment:

• public
    replied
    Oh yeah, the Panda ran 165/70 before I upgraded to newer rubber and got 155/70.

Leave a comment:

• Spectre
    replied
    Originally posted by Blind_Io View Post
    165 is "ultra wide"? I thought going from a 285 down to a 255 was putting pizza cutters the rims.

I am starting to consider a vehicle to replace the Xterra. I plan to keep the X, but get something a bit larger, more comfortable, and more powerful. The problem is that my ideal size vehicle is the FJ80 series Land Cruiser. 4Runners are stupidly expensive for what they are and, although some were made with rear lockers, they are pretty much unobtanium unless you want to fork out an extra $10,000 over an SR5. Plus I hate the shit visibility and numb... everything.

So, I'm considering a Lexus GX 470. V8 engine, more space, many Lexus-y comfort bits, and I could fairly easily source a locking rear end. With some looking I can find a base model without all the fancy ride-height control bullshit that I would be throwing in the bin anyway. Downside: timing belt instead of a timing chain, but I don't want to go with the 460 because it is even more reliant on electronics.
    The GX470 *is* a 4th gen 4Runner. It's not significantly bigger than the last gen Xterra - or even a lot larger than my 3rd gen. If you seek more room, the GX isn't where you want to go.

You can get an LX470 cheaply; since most people don't realize that they're actually J100 Land Cruisers with leather, they don't command nearly the same price. The only gotchas are the hydraulic assisted shocks which you can toss (as you noted) and the $2.5-3K master cylinder/ABS module that needs to be replaced with higher mileage. Be advised that the GX has the same master/ABS issue and similar repair pricing.

Leave a comment:

• prizrak
    replied
    I don't think I ever owned a car with 165 wheels in my life.

I'm assuming getting the comfy big SUV is more for commuting/driving around than for off roading in that case why would you need a rear locker?

Leave a comment:

• Blind_Io
    replied
    165 is "ultra wide"? I thought going from a 285 down to a 255 was putting pizza cutters the rims.

I am starting to consider a vehicle to replace the Xterra. I plan to keep the X, but get something a bit larger, more comfortable, and more powerful. The problem is that my ideal size vehicle is the FJ80 series Land Cruiser. 4Runners are stupidly expensive for what they are and, although some were made with rear lockers, they are pretty much unobtanium unless you want to fork out an extra $10,000 over an SR5. Plus I hate the shit visibility and numb... everything.

So, I'm considering a Lexus GX 470. V8 engine, more space, many Lexus-y comfort bits, and I could fairly easily source a locking rear end. With some looking I can find a base model without all the fancy ride-height control bullshit that I would be throwing in the bin anyway. Downside: timing belt instead of a timing chain, but I don't want to go with the 460 because it is even more reliant on electronics.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X