Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

They would probably send him wrong parts, for some reason my friend has gotten a wrong part twice for her car (not the same part) through them.

But I was actually thinking that, I remember when my exhaust rusted out on the Z (it rusted right at the Y) I got a whole new mid with cat and everything. Subaru had the entire exhaust replaced for similar price.

Last edited:
prizrak;n3553729 said:
They would probably send him wrong parts, for some reason my friend has gotten a wrong part twice for her car (not the same part) through them.

But I was actually thinking that, I remember when my exhaust rusted out on the Z (it rusted right at the Y) I got a whole new mid with cat and everything. Subaru had the entire exhaust replaced for similar price.

Amazon prices are similar and Advance Auto will match RockAuto prices - there's no shortage of good vendors. I've ordered lots of RockAuto parts and it's rare for them to screw up orders except from one warehouse in NY (GM parts).

Spectre;n3553737 said:
Amazon prices are similar and Advance Auto will match RockAuto prices - there's no shortage of good vendors. I've ordered lots of RockAuto parts and it's rare for them to screw up orders except from one warehouse in NY (GM parts).
Apparently that NY warehouse screws up Nissan parts too, but yeah I never had a negative experience up until now

prizrak;n3553706 said:
I demand more pictures!

You can have 1.

The weather has been too shit to go take some proper ones somewhere.

i-v69BTgR-X2.jpg

2018, GT, PP1, manual

:mrgreen:

Crazyjeeper;n3553751 said:
You can have 1.

i-v69BTgR-X2.jpg

2018, GT, PP1, manual

Whoa. Interesting color.

Niiiice. I wonder how it looks alongside Der Stig's XJR.

Crazyjeeper;n3553751 said:
You can have 1.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/photos.smugmug.com\/Other\/Mics-Uploads\/n-sj6Qh\/i-v69BTgR\/0\/f57a0bee\/X2\/i-v69BTgR-X2.jpg"}[/IMG2]

2018, GT, PP1, manual

Ooooh purdy and using the correct way of shifting gears unlike that other guy :p

A mate of mine is looking at getting a BMW 235i. Works for me as I get to experience dat sound without the hassle of dat cost.

Meanwhile I fitted ultra wide 165/70/r13 Uniroyal RainExpert 3s to the Acclaim to replace the stock 145/80/r13s. It now drives quite a bit nicer, less understeer and wandering at speed, oddly the steering is now lighter at slow speeds despite the larger contact area.

165 is "ultra wide"? I thought going from a 285 down to a 255 was putting pizza cutters the rims.

I am starting to consider a vehicle to replace the Xterra. I plan to keep the X, but get something a bit larger, more comfortable, and more powerful. The problem is that my ideal size vehicle is the FJ80 series Land Cruiser. 4Runners are stupidly expensive for what they are and, although some were made with rear lockers, they are pretty much unobtanium unless you want to fork out an extra $10,000 over an SR5. Plus I hate the shit visibility and numb... everything.

So, I'm considering a Lexus GX 470. V8 engine, more space, many Lexus-y comfort bits, and I could fairly easily source a locking rear end. With some looking I can find a base model without all the fancy ride-height control bullshit that I would be throwing in the bin anyway. Downside: timing belt instead of a timing chain, but I don't want to go with the 460 because it is even more reliant on electronics.

I don't think I ever owned a car with 165 wheels in my life.

I'm assuming getting the comfy big SUV is more for commuting/driving around than for off roading in that case why would you need a rear locker?

Blind_Io;n3553975 said:
165 is "ultra wide"? I thought going from a 285 down to a 255 was putting pizza cutters the rims.

I am starting to consider a vehicle to replace the Xterra. I plan to keep the X, but get something a bit larger, more comfortable, and more powerful. The problem is that my ideal size vehicle is the FJ80 series Land Cruiser. 4Runners are stupidly expensive for what they are and, although some were made with rear lockers, they are pretty much unobtanium unless you want to fork out an extra $10,000 over an SR5. Plus I hate the shit visibility and numb... everything.

So, I'm considering a Lexus GX 470. V8 engine, more space, many Lexus-y comfort bits, and I could fairly easily source a locking rear end. With some looking I can find a base model without all the fancy ride-height control bullshit that I would be throwing in the bin anyway. Downside: timing belt instead of a timing chain, but I don't want to go with the 460 because it is even more reliant on electronics.

The GX470 *is* a 4th gen 4Runner. It's not significantly bigger than the last gen Xterra - or even a lot larger than my 3rd gen. If you seek more room, the GX isn't where you want to go.

You can get an LX470 cheaply; since most people don't realize that they're actually J100 Land Cruisers with leather, they don't command nearly the same price. The only gotchas are the hydraulic assisted shocks which you can toss (as you noted) and the $2.5-3K master cylinder/ABS module that needs to be replaced with higher mileage. Be advised that the GX has the same master/ABS issue and similar repair pricing.

Oh yeah, the Panda ran 165/70 before I upgraded to newer rubber and got 155/70.

My first car had 165/70R13. Some Unos left the factory with 145/80R13 :lol:

Blind_Io;n3553975 said:
165 is "ultra wide"?
Only in sarcastic terms. ;) It still looks like it's on bicycle wheels from behind.

Acclaims had varying tyre sizes on the same 13" steel wheels depending on trim. Base spec Ls had 145, mid range HL/HLS got 155s and top spec CDs got 165s. Base spec Acclaims actually have narrower tyres than the Dolomite (155/80/R13 as standard) which it replaced, a car dating from 1970... It only has to transfer 70bhp to the ground though so it doesn't really need much more.

Redliner;n3553992 said:
My first car had 165/70R13. Some Unos left the factory with 145/80R13 :lol:

That’s a lot of sidewall....

Same reason: crappy roads.

So my GTO randomly overheated yesterday... Let it cool down for about 20 minutes, then tried to limp it to my mechanic. I got about 3 or 4 blocks before the alert chime started back up. I then let it cool down for another 15-20 minutes and added about a liter or so of distilled water to the overflow tank. After I added the water, the car behaved perfectly fine, the temp gauge stayed at just below halfway. When my mechanic looked it over, he couldn't find a leak or anything wrong with it, the fans work and everything was intact. WTF?